New Star Trek TOS Phaser coming November 2014

The red jewel was seen very clearly in Friday's Child and Assignment: Earth, and less clearly (but still distinctly) in Return of the Archons, A Private Little War, and The Galileo Seven. In Assignment: Earth, both the red jewel and blue watch crown are clearly shown. GJ's hero makes the third look (seen in Shore Leave), and in the absence of proof to the contrary, I'm going with only three hero P1s ever made -- one to go with each hero, plus one with velcro.

I noticed a crown on the hero p1 in the screencap from 'Is there in truth no Beauty?' as well. Seems like the heroes had them but not the midgrades. Btw I thought there were only 2 hero pistol bodies and 2 p1s? So is it now generally accepted that there were actually 3 hero p1s and 3 pistol bodies? :)

I noticed a crown on the hero p1 in the screencap from 'Is there in truth no Beauty?' as well. Seems like the heroes had them but not the midgrades. Btw I thought there were only 2 hero pistol bodies and 2 p1s? So is it now generally accepted that there were actually 3 hero p1s and 3 pistol bodies? :)
Well, I don't know about "generally accepted" anything in this hobby. Even when something is firmly established from a known original, there's no shortage of people who dispute it. :) But I meant 2 pistols and 3 P1s.

My comment is more of an educated guess based on what was seen on the show, plus experience and common sense. One regular hero P1 for each pistol, plus one with Velcro for when an actor has it on his belt. The heroes were expensive and time-consuming to make, so I can't think of a reason they'd make any more than the three we see.

But I think we'll really learn the truth when TOS comes out in 4K. :p

My take on it is that the MR will not drop in price immediately..But I would say sometime around a year and a half from now, I wouldn't be surprised if we see em at $600.00-$700.00. That's providing that Wand production was reasonably high and they produced alot of them.In addition, High ticket items also have a limited amount of high ticket buyers..I used to do collectable records..Long ago, I came across A very rare and valuable 45 RPM record, worth a few thousand...took over a year to unload it, as the top collectors that would pay for it, already had it, and I had to sell it for less just to get rid of it...Safe to assume some buyers go out and raise , or borrow the money to get something expensive...With the wand, they won't have to do that, so that might also narrow down the list of potential buyers of the MR units..

I honestly don't think the Wand phaser is really going to have any impact on the MR price. The wand phaser is a very nice novelty prop (and VERY well done to boot, I have two on the way) but not really in the same collectible league as the MR (and I don't think it is intended to be). Anyone who can afford an MR can likely afford to also buy a Wand Co but the reverse is not necessarily true. I could see these having more of an effect on the moded DS phaser market as these are closer to the hero, have the metal parts, and cost less than it would cost to mod the DS.

Last edited:
Well, I don't know about "generally accepted" anything in this hobby. Even when something is firmly established from a known original, there's no shortage of people who dispute it. :) But I meant 2 pistols and 3 P1s.

My comment is more of an educated guess based on what was seen on the show, plus experience and common sense. One regular hero P1 for each pistol, plus one with Velcro for when an actor has it on his belt. The heroes were expensive and time-consuming to make, so I can't think of a reason they'd make any more than the three we see.

But I think we'll really learn the truth when TOS comes out in 4K. :p

There were at least three hero P1s: the Greg Jein with Velcro and no jewel, the Finney/TMOST with a blue watch crown, and the Nona with a red jewel with no bezel. And at least three hero pistols: GJ and Finney, both with a bottom front screw on the right side of the seam. And the "Conscience of the King" P2 with a front screw on the left side of the seam, and what appears to be a bottom rear screw as well.
TheConscienceOfTheKingPasers.jpg

I honestly don't think the Wand phaser is really going to have any impact on the MR price. The wand phaser is a very nice novelty prop (and VERY well done to boot, I have two on the way) but not really in the same collectible league as the MR (and I don't think it is intended to be). Anyone who can afford an MR can likely afford to also buy a Wand Co but the reverse is not necessarily true. I could see these having more of an effect on the moded DS phaser market as these are closer to the hero, have the metal parts, and cost less than it would cost to mod the DS.
Sounds reasonable, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder too. I was in a position to buy either (or both) and opted to get the Wand. Since that time, between posts here and additional research I've done on the MR, I'm quite satisfied with my purchase and see no need whatsoever to buy a MR phaser. Considering the varying degrees of mistakes on both replicas, I would suggest at this point in the game, the only reason someone would purchase a MR is to buy a MR, not because it's the closest thing to the real prop.
But this is just supposition on my part.

There were at least three hero P1s: the Greg Jein with Velcro and no jewel, the Finney/TMOST with a blue watch crown, and the Nona with a red jewel with no bezel. And at least three hero pistols: GJ and Finney, both with a bottom front screw on the right side of the seam. And the "Conscience of the King" P2 with a front screw on the left side of the seam, and what appears to be a bottom rear screw as well.
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/...enore Phaser/TheConscienceOfTheKingPasers.jpg
I see what you're saying, but I just don't think that's firm enough. Quick points:

• The first row with O'Reilly certainly does appear to have the screw on the right. That plus the GJ makes two pistols for sure, plus we saw two heroes in the same shot in at least two episodes, The Galileo Seven and The Man Trap.
  • The middle photo in the second row, on the belt, is a midgrade, not a hero. No help there.
  • The raised feature on the back of that other pistol could be a screw, or it could be something else. It's not distinct at all, and it raises the questions of why Feinberger would let featured talent have a prop with a screw sticking out like that, and why there would be a screw in that position at all.
  • We never see three hero pistols in the same shot at any time in the entire series, even in The Galileo Seven, so unlike with the P1, there's no solid way to distinguish a third pistol.

So I'm still gonna go with two pistols, three hero P1s as all there's good evidence for. :)

I would say that I don't think that will be the case...as said before, once something comes reasonably close in quality, and accuracy to an unreasonably expensive item, the vast majority of purchasers will almost always choose the cheaper of the two...and its not like the wand is that much less a quality phaser than the MR..and also the MR may have better quality parts, but visually its lacking BIG time...There will always be purists, and if they are, then the MR is not exactly dead on either. So both have inaccuracies. However no one has to come up with a boatload of cash to get the wand..and they got the hand unit's shape dead on..

I see what you're saying, but I just don't think that's firm enough. Quick points:

• The first row with O'Reilly certainly does appear to have the screw on the right. That plus the GJ makes two pistols for sure, plus we saw two heroes in the same shot in at least two episodes, The Galileo Seven and The Man Trap.

Reilly's phaser has the screw on the left side, opposite where it is on GJ and Finney.
Conscience-leftscrew_zps88ea3087.jpg

GJ.
GJ-rightscrew_zps758c43fa.jpg

Finney.
Finney-rightscrew_zps24eaeb9c.jpg

Cloud Minders, most likely Finney.
CloudMinders-rightscrew_zpsa4f5470b.jpg

The middle photo in the second row, on the belt, is a midgrade, not a hero. No help there.
That's the GJ hero. The mids hadn't been made yet, they didn't appear until later in the season.

Conscience-GJ_zpsb7c2c8c1.jpg

The raised feature on the back of that other pistol could be a screw, or it could be something else...
True, like I said it appears to be a screw. It's definitely a physical detail not present on any other phaser, and distinguishes it from the other two heroes.

We never see three hero pistols in the same shot at any time in the entire series...
No, but we see three distinctly different heroes in unrelated scenes.

Reilly's phaser has the screw on the left side, opposite where it is on GJ and Finney.
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r219/robn1/Hero Phaser/Conscience-leftscrew_zps88ea3087.jpg

I think we're having a left/right thing. I meant the right when you're looking at it, which would put the GJ on the left. We both mean the same thing.

With you so far...

That's the GJ hero. The mids hadn't been made yet, they didn't appear until later in the season.
Calling shenanigans on this one. Where did that information come from? Just because they didn't appear until later, doesn't mean they weren't on hand.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r219/robn1/Hero%20Phaser/Conscience-GJ_zpsb7c2c8c1.jpg
True, like I said it appears to be a screw. It's definitely a physical detail not present on any other phaser, and distinguishes it from the other two heroes.
It's definitely physically there, but we can't tell if it's a screw or a stray piece of tape or a giant booger, nor is there any way to know whether it's still one of the same two props with the alleged screw added temporarily and removed later. I'm just saying it's not definitive because it's the only such shot you've posted, and it's blurry as all hell. I'm just not willing to hang my hat on something that thin.

No, but we see three distinctly different heroes in unrelated scenes.
Your statement assumes the premise that it is a screw in the first place, and that it was always there, and I just don't think that's established. I'm not ruling out the possibility here, I'm just saying that I don't see anything to show that it's any more than speculation.

I think we're having a left/right thing. I meant the right when you're looking at it, which would put the GJ on the left. We both mean the same thing.

With you so far...

Calling shenanigans on this one. Where did that information come from? Just because they didn't appear until later, doesn't mean they weren't on hand.

Mids don't appear until around the time of "Devil in the Dark", which is full of them. All we see prior is heroes and craps. The mids could have been in existence, but it seems strange that they wouldn't have been used if so. Anyway, the Velcro P2 in Conscience is clearly not a mid.

Your statement assumes the premise that it is a screw in the first place, and that it was always there, and I just don't think that's established. I'm not ruling out the possibility here, I'm just saying that I don't see anything to show that it's any more than speculation.

Two phasers with a screw on the right (GJ and Finney), one with a screw on the left (Reilly). I can't imagine why they would move a screw from one side to another, so I'll stick with three hero pistols.

DarkStar1974DCBDRipXviD-AENavi_snapshot_010113_20141210_171031_zpsc3ed1b02.jpg

Pardon my ignorance, but what the heck is that screw supposed to DO anyway?? It cant hold both halves together simply by virtue of its location?...so what is it there for?? what's its function??

I would say that I don't think that will be the case...as said before, once something comes reasonably close in quality, and accuracy to an unreasonably expensive item, the vast majority of purchasers will almost always choose the cheaper of the two...

The DS communicator is a direct knock of of the MR and the jlong kit is an exact duplicate of the screen used communicators. Neither has really effected the price of the MR Comm in the secondary market. I just can't see the Phaser being any different. The MR's are expensive because they are MR's and collectors want them, not because they are perfect replicas of the Hero. Most of them are in collections, new collectors want them because a phaser collection is not really complete without it.

Robn1, asalaw
I am loving this thread!!!!!
I always thought it made sense that there would be 3 hero P2's since there were 3 hero P1's.

I am not entirely sure that the back screw makes a difference in the comparison, that phaser still has a screw (or a screw hole) on the left side as opposed to the other two phasers. But, Is there a really good shot of that screw or is it possible that what we are seeing is where the metal screw bracket was cracked through the body on one of the other two (I am just looking at the photo in this thread and it looks like it could be a piece missing. I think there was a shot where you could see that screw clearly but I may be wrong, just throwing it out there).

Last edited:
Anyway, the Velcro P2 in Conscience is clearly not a mid.
True enough, the other caps you posted are much clearer.
Two phasers with a screw on the right (GJ and Finney), one with a screw on the left (Reilly). I can't imagine why they would move a screw from one side to another, so I'll stick with three hero pistols.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/...apshot_010113_20141210_171031_zpsc3ed1b02.jpg
I follow you, but what's your basis for saying that the GJ and Finney are two different pistols?

- - - Updated - - -

Pardon my ignorance, but what the heck is that screw supposed to DO anyway?? It cant hold both halves together simply by virtue of its location?...so what is it there for?? what's its function??
Actually, it does hold the two halves together. There's a brass plate inside that the screw goes into. The rest of the holding is done by the fins in the rear, and to some extent the aluminum clip on the top. In this photo you can see the plate, right behind the nozzle, with a nut glued on top to hold the screw.

2014-05-28 20.45.54-8.jpg

There Is a brass tab that's threaded on the other half of the body that does help hold the phaser together along with the back fins. if i'm not mistaken.

- - - Updated - - -

my bad. i thought the brass part was just threaded. cool learning more everyday..

Hey look at the photos of the "King" phaser. (This may be old news) Did you guys notice that there are no side ribs WTF??????
How does that even happen???
I figured that was part of the mold, maybe those were glued on the heros????

Finney-rightscrew_zps24eaeb9c.jpg

Conscience-leftscrew_zps88ea3087.jpg

Last edited:
There Is a brass tab that's threaded on the other half of the body that does help hold the phaser together along with the back fins. if i'm not mistaken.

- - - Updated - - -

my bad. i thought the brass part was just threaded. cool learning more everyday..
15 years studying TOS props, and I still learn new stuff all the time... :)

- - - Updated - - -

Hey look at the photos of the "King" phaser. (This may be old news) Did you guys notice that there are no side ribs WTF??????
How does that even happen???
I figured that was part of the mold, maybe those were glued on the heros????
They're there, just blurred out in that frame, either by movement or digital compression. Look at all the frames of O'Reilly that Rob posted above. They're in the second and third frames.

I have looked at those a thousand times and never noticed but I see no trace of them in either screen cap. We would be able to ee them clearly in the bottom photo in my post (they should go all the way to the front of the phaser) they are not there. Well I have been working in the garage so there could be some glue fumes working against me but id don't think so):lol

I double checked that they did not edit them out in the HD versions of the video but it is the same on the DVD caps. You should totally be able to see them if they were there. Look at the frames, I do not see the ribs in front of the side knob in any of them

TheConscienceOfTheKingPasers.jpg

Attachments

• courtmartialhd641.jpg
    courtmartialhd641.jpg
    368.9 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
Look again. Rob's post of 10 frames in a collage, top row, second and third photos, they're there. You probably want to wear a filter mask at this point. :p

i thought the brass part was just threaded. cool learning more everyday..
I tapped the brass tab on my build, because I thought it was more elegant than gluing a nut on it. Maybe that's where you got the thought.

I follow you, but what's your basis for saying that the GJ and Finney are two different pistols?
Three clues. GJ and Finney have different nozzle positions, Finney must be 1/8in higher.
gj-finney_zps567eafb2.jpg

GJ fin cut out is more square on the left side, and the release pin hole is larger.
gj-finneyfins_zpsc46d70d2.jpg

And the cracked tower happened when it was a B&W, the break is visible through the window in "Charlie X".
bampwgj-break_zps58139464.jpg

The King does have the side ribs, it's obvious in motion but very faint in stills. The light is washing out the shadows.
And I'm convinced on the double screws, these marks are too much alike to be anything else.
Conscience-leftscrew-rearscrew_zps34e0b648.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back