Iron Man store-bought costume helmet?

Helmet is OK, I picked up a couple tonight at Party City for $20 each to mess around with. I may customize one to a Mark V. AVOID the arc reactor! Piece of junk, basically a $10 round glowstick.

out of all the store bought helmets that one is not half bad, alot better than that big awkward one i have seen all over walmart, and for the price why not!

Helmet is OK, I picked up a couple tonight at Party City for $20 each to mess around with. I may customize one to a Mark V. AVOID the arc reactor! Piece of junk, basically a $10 round glowstick.

So if one is not able to make there own arc reactor should they just stick with that red one that attaches to shirts that came out awhile back. instead of buying that new one.

Thanks for the heads up. I nearly went with the Arc reactor. Guess I'm gonna have to go back to plan B.

Sorry for the necro post but has anybody modified 1 of these yet? I tried using the search function and couldn't find it so if there's a thread about it please go easy on me!!!!!!!!!!!

I have!

I Fiberglassed the interior with Polyester Resin, and 450g Chopped strand matting, after joining the 2 halves with Hot glue. I then used a small dremel cut off wheel, and separated the faceplate, and the lower back section, so I could fit my head in. The seam needed major filling and sanding, but it ends up being a pretty decent looking helmet for the price.

I can post pics if anyone wants

Ok,... so I glassed the inside first, Started at the back, doing it in sections. I doubled the glass around the seam, as well as the cut lines of the faceplate and lower back. Surprisingly, 1-2 layers of 450g Chopped strand glass, was enough to re-enforce the entire bucket. Really light, no flex, And polyester resin wont eat away at the plastic.

iron_man_helmet__basic4_by_cbstudios-d3ggxpo.jpg

^^
This is the glassed main portion of the helmet, Faceplate and backplate cut and removed, with Q-Cell filler, and a light layer of Tissue glass to strengthen the seam.

iron_man_helmet__basic2_by_cbstudios-d3ggxmr.jpg

^^
After Multiple bursts with an Orbital sander, and 120 Grit paper, the seam evened out pretty nicely, wasnt difficult to work it back to its original-esque shape. A dremmel with a diamond headed *Ball* tip, was used to grind in the groove. Faceplate is unpainted here

iron_man_helmet__basic3_by_cbstudios-d3ggxop.jpg

^ A rough colour test, to work out the kinks, I havent finished the detailing on the ears, but everything fits together correctly. The back section needed to be cut, because the neck of the helmet is slightly too narrow for my head, and my heads kinda small. There's a fair bit of room once my heads in though.

iron_man_helmet__basic1_by_cbstudios-d3ggxi8.jpg

^^ And finally, some light weathering, EL sheet for the eyes, and on a Foamie/Plasti-dip Neckseal. For $40 (What I paid for it, in a comic store here in Australia) It makes for a Nice cheap project, And certainly great for someone like me, not entire focused on Accuracy!

I have that helmet myself and have begun resining it. I, too, had to trim the back of the helmet to squeeze my big ol' melon in. I've been using this helmet as a side project for when my movie Cap helmet irritates me. I have plans to build the current Iron Man armor from the Fraction/LaRocca run once I finish off my Cap build.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back