Disney wants more 'Star Wars' in its theme parks

http://www.insidethemagic.net/2016/...nt-star-wars-death-star-at-walt-disney-world/

DeathStar-800x400.jpg

I'd like Disneyland more if they didn't charge $100 just to walk through the gate. I understand they have operating and maintenance costs, but give me a break.

Supposedly, the recent price increases haven't been about profit margins and operating costs so much as crowd management. I guess they feel that they've been too popular and that the parks have been too crowded and in order to try to control that the ever increasing attendance they raised their admission prices hoping to deter people with the increased costs.

While, if true, it's perfectly understandable but it still sucks, this year was the last year my family had annual passes, it's gotten to be too expensive for a family of 4 to be able to renew every year. I've always felt that they should do 2 things vis a vis annual passes, one is to offer a discount of anywhere from 10% - 20% to pass holders who renew early and make it a real discount and not just X number of dollars of in park credit. The second thing is, child's price annual passes; if they have a children's admission price then why don't they have children's annual pass price as well? They should also raise the age of what they consider to be a child, as it stands it's pretty low and there's still a lot of rides that a kid can't get on while still having to pay full priced admission into the park(s).

I think due to everyone having annual passes that it just became an after school teen hangout spot, kids not even going to the attractions, just being generally underfoot and a nuisance. I hear similar reports about the nightlife at Downtown Disney (or whatever it's called this week) in Florida....especially after a downtown hangout, Church Street Station, closed many years ago.

So I think they're trying to price out the riff raff. Unfortunately, some of us non-troublemaking folks have riff raff incomes, myself included.....

I don't buy the Riff-Raff excuse for price increases. There had to be other ways of dealing with that. Price increases don't even target it very well.

It's typical of our culture to deal with teenagers that way. People love to prevent teens from gathering in public places. But if you ask them where those teens should go, they never have an answer.

I've only been to Disney once. Back in 2000 I was doing a theatrw show in st. Pete's. My friends and I hopped over to Disney for a day. Went to MGM.

It was the most fun I've ever had. Easily.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I don't buy the Riff-Raff excuse for price increases. There had to be other ways of dealing with that. Price increases don't even target it very well.

It's typical of our culture to deal with teenagers that way. People love to prevent teens from gathering in public places. But if you ask them where those teens should go, they never have an answer.

The price increases may or may not truly be related to and attempt at crowd control, although I am inclined to believe, I don't believe that teen control has anything to do with it. The price of Annual Pass has been pretty high for several years now, too high for your average high school aged teen to be able to afford. In my experience, I never really saw that many crowds of teens just hanging around either Disneyland or CA Adventure, at least not in any unusual numbers. The only time that I see large numbers of teens has been when there's either high school bands performing in the park or some school or other teen group in the park because it's either a sponsored trip and/or they're in town for something else and added a trip to Disneyland to the itinerary.

So very, very well done.

However, as someone on fb put it:
"Spaceship Earth transformed into the exact opposite of what it represents" :lol

I know I am going to burn for this, but not impressed.

It seems like Disney is struggling on how to bring Star Wars in the parks until Star Wars land opens. When Star Wars land does opens, I am sure my 4 year old self will come out to play, but until then I'll pass on meet and greets and dessert parties.

Now they are talking 2019 for official openings....was 2018.

I'd imagine that the near constant rain (~1/week for most of this year) here in SoCal has probably delayed work some at Disneyland and according to a video I just watched they've seem to have only barely begun work in Florida.

I hope they're full scale, unlike the Star Tours one in Florida, and I hope they're not those stupid AT-ACTs. ;)

No way those are full-scale.

They might be bigger than the Star Tours AT-AT but not dramatically so. Look at about 1:48 in the video (linked in the article) and you can see two workers standing near one.

Not to gripe; I'm glad they are putting them up. The HP Hogwarts exterior in Cali Adventure is scaled-down and IMO it looks great. The forced perspective is perfect.

I wonder if these new AT-ATs will use any forced perspective? They seem like a prime candidate for it.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back