The public's feelings about an OOT re-release will break down like this:

0.01% - They (we) will be nitpicking everything to the point where we each need our own custom-tailored version to be satisfied.

4.99% - Mostly satisfied with it. They will be pleased that the color timing finally looks decent. They will feel it's worth losing the SE's improved space battles for that.

95% - "You had me at 'Han shoots first again."

Actually, that's just us, which represents 5% of the movie buying public at best. I'd say most are just fine owning the SEs on Blu-Ray, and wouldn't see the point in buying yet another version.

I'm good with Harmy's. I've bought enough versions of the official releases that I've satisfied any guilt about it.
The only problem I have with those is that I can't skip ahead by chapters or scroll through, because of the interface with my BluRay's video player.
So, if my kids need to take a break, or dinner/bed time comes along, it's a pain to pick up where we left off.

My daughter's best friend loves SW. His parents don't. They're fine with whatever's on the cheapest disc they can buy. They decided to start into the franchise (when the kid was 5) by jumping in with Ep3. Why start with 3?! Ep2 is the dad's favorite. I don't understand these people... I'm already the SW authority for this kid & look forward to straightening him with the OOT.

Last edited:
Just release the Reliance media version down the garbage chute, and then sign off on Mike Verta's version and release that to the public.

0.01% - They (we) will be nitpicking everything to the point where we each need our own custom-tailored version to be satisfied.

4.99% - Mostly satisfied with it. They will be pleased that the color timing finally looks decent. They will feel it's worth losing the SE's improved space battles for that.

Han never shot first though ;)

OH, just remembered about this. Heres an original 35mm cut. Looks like how it looked in 1977 without anything added thing or fixed up. I watched the last battle and theres little technical errors and things I could see.

[video]https://archive.org/details/Star.Wars.1977.SSE.35mm.v1.z.HDTV.H.264.AAC[/video]

Starting to have some uncharitable thoughts toward old uncle Georgie.

Ok, a couple of thoughts here:

1. The Digital Bits news wasn't that surprising. My understanding was that everyone knew George hadn't lied. The original negatives were chopped up to make the SEs. It was the interpositives that likely survived untouched. The bottom line is that this stuff CAN be fixed if Disney wants to.

2. The bit about Lucas having final cut could be true. He's always been a huge advocate for "artists rights," meaning that if Ted Turner buys your stuff, he can't colorize it because you said it has to be in B&W. So it could well be that Lucas' insistence on everyone being forced to watch his flawed version might be true. But that seems like rather a big limitation for Disney. Regardless, Pablo Hidalgo may know a lot of stuff about behind-the-scenes Star Wars news, but we're talking about technical legal issues here. Anyone remember when J.J. Abrams said the Axanar suit was "being taken care of"? Yeah, not so much. The creative team doesn't often know what the legal team does. So, Hidalgo thinking Lucas has final say? Meh. I'm still not convinced. I'd want to hear from Disney/LFL itself before accepting that we'll be relying on bootlegs forever for this stuff.

Starting to have some uncharitable thoughts toward old uncle Georgie.
George Lucas is a ******* and has his head up his ass. Why cant they just get the copy from the library of congress and release that?

Leave it to GL to say"it no longer exists" but of course he doesnt say it can be restored, talking in absolutes. Go **** yourself George Lucas, you hack. :angry

batguy said:
viewpost-right.png

Actually, that's just us, which represents 5% of the movie buying public at best. I'd say most are just fine owning the SEs on Blu-Ray, and wouldn't see the point in buying yet another version.

Yeah I know.

When I wrote that I was thinking of 100% of everyone who buys the new copy of the OOT, as opposed to 100% of the whole public.

Last edited by a moderator:

That article confuses me,.....it says at the beginning:

"We’ve essentially confirmed that Disney’s current 4K scan of the film is the most recent revised version (essentially the latest “special edition”), not the original theatrical edition"

They admit that they have a 4k scan of the film,.....& it's the current SE version?.....but the current version is based on LFL's scan done in 95-96 at 2k,.....which had the first SE CG elements added......later this LFL scan (files, not film) was given to Lowry Digital & colour corrected (badly.....overly dark & blue tone....crushed blacks etc),....this scan has been modified for subsequent releases,...until we have the current BD version.

So where did they get a 4k scan?.....is it the Reliance Media (formally Lowry Digital) 4k scan that was done for the cancelled 3d release just before the Disney purchase of LFL?....& if it has the SE additions,...they were done at 2k....????.

This all sounds a bit iffy

J

That article confuses me,.....it says at the beginning:

"We’ve essentially confirmed that Disney’s current 4K scan of the film is the most recent revised version (essentially the latest “special edition”), not the original theatrical edition"

They admit that they have a 4k scan of the film,.....& it's the current SE version?.....but the current version is based on LFL's scan done in 95-96 at 2k,.....which had the first SE CG elements added......later this LFL scan (files, not film) was given to Lowry Digital & colour corrected (badly.....overly dark & blue tone....crushed blacks etc),....this scan has been modified for subsequent releases,...until we have the current BD version.

So where did they get a 4k scan?.....is it the Reliance Media (formally Lowry Digital) 4k scan that was done for the cancelled 3d release just before the Disney purchase of LFL?....& if it has the SE additions,...they were done at 2k....????.

This all sounds a bit iffy

J

I may be able to add some clarity to this.

It sounds like they may have puled out the actual negative that is conformed to the SE from 95-96 and scanned that. This event where the news came from was a presentation about Disney's restoration and preservation in 4K and they had a slide explaining the pipeline they went through for their 4K Mickey shorts they're working on. It's likely they are using the same method for both Star Wars (already done) and Song of the South (no mortal will ever get to watch it).

The Warner Bros. lab is scanning the camera negatives at 4K.

Reliance Media is doing the color work.

Disney is handling audio (Skywalker Sound for SW most likely).

If Reliance is doing the Mickey stuff, it's likely they're doing all of Disney's 4K work and that would mean it's their 4K stuff.

I may be able to add some clarity to this.

It sounds like they may have puled out the actual negative that is conformed to the SE from 95-96 and scanned that. This event where the news came from was a presentation about Disney's restoration and preservation in 4K and they had a slide explaining the pipeline they went through for their 4K Mickey shorts they're working on. It's likely they are using the same method for both Star Wars (already done) and Song of the South (no mortal will ever get to watch it).

The Warner Bros. lab is scanning the camera negatives at 4K.

Reliance Media is doing the color work.

Disney is handling audio (Skywalker Sound for SW most likely).

If Reliance is doing the Mickey stuff, it's likely they're doing all of Disney's 4K work and that would mean it's their 4K stuff.

Yes, but all SE CG enhancements were rendered at 2k.....so the film will jump in quality resolution, unless they re- done all those elements from scratch

J

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back