Richard Hatch has passed away. :(

71 doesn't seem that old. He looked/seemed pretty healthy.

But the article said 'after an extended illness.' Sucks.

RIP Apollo... Battlestar was almost as big for me as a kid as Star Wars. May the Lords of Kobol look after your soul.

71 doesn't seem that old. He looked/seemed pretty healthy.

But the article said 'after an extended illness.' Sucks.

Other sources who knew him personally have said pancreatic cancer.

I had hoped things would slow down in this new year, but the pace seems to be continuing unabated. I saw the notice on Bleeding Cool minutes after it went up, and was skeptical, as no place else had said anything -- not IMDB, not Wikipedia, not his Facebook page, not here...

I just have to say, though, the first thing I thought was "He didn't die -- he just went home..."

ApolloExperiment.jpg

Oh No!

Only met him once but he had no airs about him and was so down to earth

I STILL had hope that the TOS BSG Cast would eventually do some sort of Movie, now that will never be.

Absolutely devastated..... :(

Yeah once you are diagnosed with Pancreatic cancer you better start putting your affairs in order, it will take you very fast. :unsure

Richard was the first celebrity guest I ever met at Calgary Comic Expo 2012, and it happened to be the first con I've ever been to. Super nice guy. Felt bad for him as no one was going to chat with him, so I did. I think we chatted for a good half hour before some other fans showed up. His panel with Aaron and Katie was a hoot. Holy hell the whole auditorium was howling.
DSCN0022Small.jpg

DSCN0149Small.jpg

Gonna have to get a good frame for this one. It sucks, It's like I'm starting an "In Memoriam" or "Hall of Fame" wall now. Gonna go up beside my signed photo of Carrie Fisher and Bob Denver. Our idols we grew up with are departing and it sucks. :cry

DSCN0403Small.jpg

Last edited:
I still like the idea of Dirk and Noah and Terry and Anne and Herb and Tony and Sarah and Ed and Maren (she's doubtful, but maybe)... all still doing a Second Coming-like thing to honor him and carry the TOS BSG story forward, now that Apollo has passed, too. Athena would be the only one left of that bloodline in the fleet. Would she be as reluctant as the actress to step up? I will always hope... cuz Richard never gave up on it, even with nuBSG.

--Jonah

I had the honor of meeting Richard Hatch multiple times at various conventions throughout the years. I can honestly say that he was the most kindhearted down-to-earth man. He was nice to fans and always took the time to listen to what people had to say. Long live Captain Apollo and we'll never forget Richard Hatch.

Here's a video from 2012...
[video=vimeo;53059349]https://vimeo.com/53059349[/video]

https://vimeo.com/53059349

Last edited:
I ran into him at Dragon*Con at a restaurant one evening last year. As he wasn't seated or in the middle of dinner I stopped by and told him how much I enjoyed his work. He was so kind and gracious, it was like running into an old acquaintance rather than one of the idols of my childhood.

Definitely a gut punch. Many years ago I was a regular on the comic book convention circuit and he was just starting to get his own comics off the ground. We chatted twice about his books, and he was incredibly nice, intelligent, and passionate about publishing good stories. He gave me copies of everything and would not take a dime from me either time. I still have it all.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back