ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Three ANH Greeblies Found

Pretty hard to tell with the machining, that's the first thing I looked for. Unfortunately the old photo is grainy and not particularly high resolution, a lot of detail like the machine marks are not visible. I think I see a bit of the edge of the prominent raised rectangular bit in the front recess in the old pic, which is quite plainly visible in the new screencap. Hard to tell though. The notches are a definite tell to me however. It looks like the new upper right of the rear cutout is a machined a bit too far out in the new pics, which again I "think" I can see in the pre-production photo.

The "filled hole" could be any kind of blemish I guess. It's also possible that the machining was cleaned up a bit, certainly they had to at least remove whatever remnants of the scope mount (welded on?) somehow.

I definitely see that too - I'm looking more at the top right corner near the safety looks a bit different picture to picture.

I definitely see that too - I'm looking more at the top right corner near the safety looks a bit different picture to picture.
I'm not sure, might just be the angle of the photo. I definitely want to see the match, but I'm not sure if I do, in that particular spot anyway.

I'd say this is definitely the same upper AND lower as the widely published pre-prod photos of the ANH Hero DL-44. I won't re-post the pre-prod photo, it's readily available. But if you look closely, not only does the serial number 2813 on the upper match, the nicks on the bottom edge of the rectangular part (sorry, don't know the correct term) at the rear of the gun seem to match as well. This is so cool, thanks for posting these caps!
View attachment 703890

Just as I suspected! that's the ANH upper for sure. The locking frame seems to be the same too.. so same hammer, safety, internals, but the lower receiver is NOT the same.

I have high res to be able to see the depth of the cuts.

You have high res pics of the DL-44? Which cuts are you referring to? I couldn't find any other tells on he rest of the lower, you're quite likely right.

I have pretty decent reference, and I am fairly certain I can tell that the machined pockets aren't the same depths or have the same machine marks. The locking frame is the same though for sure.

the grips don't match either.

I have pretty decent reference, and I am fairly certain I can tell that the machined pockets aren't the same depths or have the same machine marks. The locking frame is the same though for sure.

the grips don't match either.
I'm seeing the same stuff. Same upper, different lower.

Awesome find, BTW! Thanks for all the screenshots!

agreed with scottjua. Same upper and lock frame, but different lower. Looks like the machining is quite different - especially on that top right corner near the safety and around the middle near the top of the trigger.
Pedro - the rectangle you are referring to is the lock frame of the gun (you can google image one) which has those small rectangles on the back of the gun. I don't know much about the mechanics of the c96, I'm sure someone can comment on it, but that whole piece can be removed. that's a good eye on the ding on the frame!

Great pics and info!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll post more later. But the close up shot is very brief. You have to remember that this was made in 1968, and Star Wars was eight years in its future so a lot could have happened to it before then.

Egon - thanks for the info. I'm not much of a gun guy, or wasn't until I started getting sucked into this damn blaster business. ;)

I looked for matches on the grips too and agree that they're probably not the same. Speaking of which, wish I could get my hands on some real vintage grips!

Anyway, these pics are so cool! So pleased to have some new references, I see a couple dings I can add to my build. Sweet! Scottjua - I'm sure you've been asked before, but perhaps it doesn't hurt - care to share any peeks at your references?

@Egon - thanks for the info. I'm not much of a gun guy, or wasn't until I started getting sucked into this damn blaster business. ;)

I looked for matches on the grips too and agree that they're probably not the same. Speaking of which, wish I could get my hands on some real vintage grips!

Anyway, these pics are so cool! So pleased to have some new references, I see a couple dings I can add to my build. Sweet! Scottjua - I'm sure you've been asked before, but perhaps it doesn't hurt - care to share any peeks at your references?

I got some of the DEC grips for my denix builds - VERY nice! If you can get on a run - do it!

@Egon - thanks for the info. I'm not much of a gun guy, or wasn't until I started getting sucked into this damn blaster business. ;)

Sorry man, no can do unfortunately.

Wow, awesome find, sliuman!!

This definitely appears to be the same Upper, and possibly lock assembly as the ANH Hero! I agree that the lower was most likely changed for the ANH Hero. Not only do the machined features not match, but the spacers and such are attached to the left side, where the ANH frame had them on the right and showed no evidence of having anything mounted to the left side at at any point.
However, it is a bit odd that the lock assembly would fit into another mauser frame and still work properly, or even fit at all for that matter. I believe the frames and lock assemblies were machined to match each other to a certain extent. Almost like the side-plates on a Luger. But that does appear to be the same assembly nonetheless.

This also helps support the theory that there were at least 2 naked runner mausers with the same modifications and carry-case. Notice that the naked runner mauser has the old style safety with a hole through it, and this Randall and Hopkirk mauser has the NS era mauser safety which is solid. Two different variation mausers with the same modifications..Very interesting!

This exact mauser appears to be the same one featured in an episode of 'The Sweeney' that was discussed earlier in the thread. And the ANH Hero possibly got it's lower from a totally different mauser that was featured in an episode of 'The Protectors', which had a lower with spacers on the right side roughly where the ANH Hero's are. Without clearer photos of that one it's hard to tell for sure, but it's something that bapty apparently already had on hand before ANH, so it's possible.

Thank you for posting this discovery!

-Carson

ok continuing the series...

vlcsnap-00035.jpgvlcsnap-00043.jpgvlcsnap-00042.jpgvlcsnap-00041.jpgvlcsnap-00040.jpgvlcsnap-00039.jpgvlcsnap-00038.jpgvlcsnap-00037.jpgvlcsnap-00036.jpgvlcsnap-00044.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back