Doctor Who opinions

Agreed. Blink was genius, but the next time they came back in the two parter, and they had all these new powers..

If you look at an angel you become an angel? WTF? The whole point of the angels was they were powerless while you were looking at them.

Then they were touching people without sending them back in time, taking of the voices of those they had killed.

Honestly I thought one of them might have the ability to throw a cellophane S.

Or how the Statue of Liberty could be an angel. You mean to tell me that in a city of millions of people, no one noticed that the statue was moving across the harbor? Not to mention the fact that IT'S NOT MADE OUT OF STONE.

Or how the Statue of Liberty could be an angel. You mean to tell me that in a city of millions of people, no one noticed that the statue was moving across the harbor? Not to mention the fact that IT'S NOT MADE OUT OF STONE.

Yeah that kinda irked me too... teh Statue of Liberty is made out of copper, not stone... the whole angel thing wouldn't have worked at all for it. I think the other one that irked me was the Adapose... like really??

What made me groan about that episode was when the people were sent back in time to the hotel it looked like they never left. Ever. Who fed them, the angels?

I think Moffat likes Mac trucks. He leaves plot holes big enough for them in nearly every episode.

But back to the more recent episodes. The Doctor just got a new regeneration cycle and now some of that energy was siphoned off. How many times can he regenerate now. And correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the first Doctor the first to come into contact with the Daleks.

Yes the first Doctor was the first to encounter the Daleks, but before the topic changes the thing about "The Angels Take Manhattan" that interests me most is the regeneration energy
the Doctor was able to give to River, it could be because at the time, 11 was just 11, but I think that it makes sense now if you think about how the meta crisis Doctor came into being giving the possibility of there being residue energy that could heal a hand, so the real question now is what's going to happen now after "The Witch's Familiar?" I can only hope for the best.

Yeah I'm still trying to figure out the whole regerantion thing. Somewhere back during the Tom Baker Episodes... didn't he explain that Time Lord's can only regenerate 12 or 13 times... did he reset his generations somehow or just gain a new one?

In the Day of the Doctor, they gave him a new set of regenerations. If memory serves, there is precedent for this, at least going back to the 1996 film and maybe before that even, pertaining to the Master specifically. Like, you can be "granted" additional regenerations. So, the Time Lords gave the Doctor a new set and we've basically got another 13 doctors now.

BBC America has been showing old Tom Baker episodes lately and every time I watch one I just enjoy them more than the new ones. And not just because U.N.I.T. is running around with FAL's.

I thought the Valeyard was the Doctor in some mid-regeneration process or something? I was never entirely clear on that, though, and I think the writers weren't, either. This was befoer a lot of the show's "rules" had been established.

Whiiiiiich gets me back to an issue with Moffat.

Storytelling requires convincing universe-building. The setting of your story needs to be understandable and believable, even if it's fantastical in nature. For audiences to take a storyteller seriously, that means the storyteller must obey the rules of the universe he or she creates...OR, if the storyteller is going to break those rules, the storyteller must explain how and why the rules were broken (which, in and of itself, often creates a new rule).

So, it gets established that the Time Lords get 13 regenerations before they die. Super. We have a rule. 13 deaths and then you're done.

Later, it gets established that the Time Lords can grant additional regenerations. No problem. We're breaking or adding on to the previous rule. You get 13...unless you're given more. For this reason, I don't fault Moffat for his "The Time Lords escaped one universe and granted the Doctor additional regenerations from a different universe" dodge on the 13 regenerations issue. There was already a "rule" for that. The only addition that Moffat made was "...and they can do it from anywhere in space or time or even different universes." Cool. Rules still intact, mostly.

Where I take issue with Moffat is when he either ignores his own rules, or claims they don't matter. The Statue of Liberty is not made of stone, so how can it be a Weeping Angel? For that matter, given how Weeping Angels can't move when in anyone's line of sight, having one be a building-sized statue makes literally no sense because, presumably, they'd ALWAYS be in someone's line of sight. Moffat, though, just ignores that because hey, it looks cool.

Likewise, he does a bit where the Doctor produces a cup of tea out of thin air and somehow makes it disappear later. Or rather, it simply never appears later. His answer to this is "It's Doctor Who. Just accept it."

The problem with this attitude is that it's basically just a dodge for lazy, ****ty writing. Often, this is done purely in service of what's supposed to be a "cool" moment, which serves no purpose beyond looking "cool." The problem is that it doesn't look cool, at least not to me. Instead, it just looks lazy and immature. It's this stuff that makes me think "Fan fiction." Fan fiction has a reputation for wish fulfillment and a propensity to indulge in "cool" for its own sake, rather than in service to the story. Moffat ****ing LOVES doing this, and it is, to me, what makes his writing come across as amateurish.

The really irritating aspect, though, is that he's capable of so much more. When he's reined in, when he doesn't have unlimited ability to do whatever the hell he wants, he ends up producing really solid, moving, insightful science fiction with compelling characters. But left unfettered, he's indulgent, lazy, and obnoxious.

The really irritating aspect, though, is that he's capable of so much more. When he's reined in, when he doesn't have unlimited ability to do whatever the hell he wants, he ends up producing really solid, moving, insightful science fiction with compelling characters. But left unfettered, he's indulgent, lazy, and obnoxious.

I agree... Moffett can be a very good writer... I loved all the scripts he wrote for Tennett Doctor, and most for Smith Doctor, but this new Doctor is very dark and grumpy and throws the whole dynamic of what the Doctor is out the window. In the first few episodes of Capaldi Doctor, I got the impression he really didn't care anymore about the humans and life in general he has spent all of his life protecting. Really out of character and somewhat disturbing to me. This last straw that really got my goat thou was him losing the screwdriver and replacing it with the ZZ-Top sunshades... I mean really? The screwdriver is one of things that makes him who and what he is, like an extension of him. Defines him as it were. I dunno... Let's hope they get some better writers (or at least take Moffett in the tool shed and give him a good beating) soon to save this train wreak before it's too late!

I don't like the sonic sunglasses but I don't agree that the screwdriver defines the Doctor. It definitely is the Doctors thing and is associated with him.
I do agree something needs to be done to save the show before it's too late.

I think the only thing that will prompt any kind of change in the show is a drop in ratings. Criticism, negative fan response, forum rants like the ones here, none of that is going to matter to Auntie Beeb as long as the numbers are still good. If the numbers drop significantly, then they'll make a change. Given that they just greenlit a spinoff show, though, I don't expect that to happen.

The only other way a change occurs is if Moffat himself decides he's tired of this or wants to go focus on a different project. That won't happen, though.

And the biggest problem with all of this "wibbley wobbley" writing in which someone can say, "death is for other people" is that there is ultimately no risk.

And when there's no risk, there's no reason

But in the time they came from they are dead, so its essentially the same thing.

Their gravestones appeared immediately.

But they lived a full and happy life in that time period, I think they died of old age. What difference does it make what time period it was in?

I think there's a difference in that - to the audience it was abrupt and sudden. A definite consequence pretty much equal to death. One second they're there, the next, gone, with instant gravestones. To viewer, that's dead in a second. To the character, yeah, they lived out their lives in 19th century NYC, stuck there, with no hope of seeing the doctor or their families again. The audience, however, does not see that. The audience sees an instant gravestone, and that's what'll resonate with 90% of the viewing public.

I think there's a difference in that - to the audience it was abrupt and sudden. A definite consequence pretty much equal to death. One second they're there, the next, gone, with instant gravestones. To viewer, that's dead in a second. To the character, yeah, they lived out their lives in 19th century NYC, stuck there, with no hope of seeing the doctor or their families again. The audience, however, does not see that. The audience sees an instant gravestone, and that's what'll resonate with 90% of the viewing public.

Only if that 90% are too stupid to remember that the Angels don't kill people but merely send them back in time. So it's really more bittersweet than tragic since both Amy & Rory still ended up together and lived their lives out in the past while being effectively dead to the Doctor, even if he could traveled back in time to somewhere nearby, looked them up/left them some sort of message, then traveled to wherever he parked the TARDIS and everything would then be back to normal.

Of course, this being Moffat, it's entirely possible he'll have the Doctor actually go back and see them at some point because "It's the Doctor. Just accept it."

I'm sorry to keep harping on that, but it really sticks in my craw that Moffat just blatantly does not seem to care about telling a story well. He can tell an entertaining story, but he doesn't seem to care to tell the entertaining story well.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back