Tomorrowland (Post-release)

Re: Tomorrowland

Viral page has been a bit slow, not much to it other than visuals. Miss the Tron Viral, that was a super campaign.

Last edited:
I just saw it last night and I've got to say, I kind of liked it. (It helped that I didn't do any research on the movie before-hand, and went in with SUPER low expectations.) I thought that the action (and the story) was very good, and the CGI effects were excellent. Like Jeyl made reference to before, it was kind of nice to see a good ol' fashioned "PG" Sci-Fi/Action film for the whole family. It kind of harkened back to something from the '80's for me. I would definitely recommend it. It was a very entertaining movie as far as I'm concerned.

Agreed, this was a fun movie. The child actors did a great job, especially the Casey and Athena characters. Good story, great affects and like Adam said, I got the same 80's vibe from it. Loved the retro hardware like young Frank's jet pack and the Eiffel Tower rocket. You can really tell Disney owns Star Wars now, especially in the antique shop. It got a bit preachy for a little while but easily overlooked. The Tomorrowland robots were great, but more people got killed than I would expect from a movie like this. I liked the movie a lot and will probably see it at least one more time.

My feelings, as posted on my Facebook page.

Dear Disney,
The next time I want to subject my children to people being struck by cars, dismembered heads and limbs, unstoppable robots who vapourize people into dust, and countless other atrocities, I will just sit my young daughters in front of the TV and put on Final Destination and Terminator
You crapped the bed, on what could have been a wholesome, family friendly adventure. Instead you gave us something that should have been put direct to video with a PG-13 rating.
You, Disney, scarred my kids. Every one of you @55hats responsible deserve to be kicked in the nuts with steel toe boots.
Sincerely,
The Consumer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just feel like a rug was pulled from under my feet. The entire movie they play up Tomorrowland, which was a world I really wanted to explore...but it seems like they never really get around to it. The first hour and a half of the film is spent on earth trying to get there...then once we arrive there, it's a deserted wasteland with no explanation of why it is the way it is. Lots of things are hinted at, and I feel like nothing was very well explained.

That being said, the visual effects and the music were good. Great performances as well. It's just that the plot builds up to a climax that never really comes.

I came to see the awesome world of tomorrlamd, and we see about 10 minutes of in its full glory. Just disappointing.

I came to see the awesome world of tomorrlamd, and we see about 10 minutes of in its full glory. Just disappointing.

That was the message of the movie. If we don't change our destructive ways in the present there would be no Tomorrowland, or it would be bleak. Only when there was a chance we wouldn't self destruct (and they started the recruiting effort again) did the possibility of a bright Tomorrowland return.

That was the message of the movie. If we don't change our destructive ways in the present there would be no Tomorrowland, or it would be bleak. Only when there was a chance we wouldn't self destruct (and they started the recruiting effort again) did the possibility of a bright Tomorrowland return.

Didn't think of it like that. Still, I think it really comes down to the marketing for this film. I feel like the trailers promised me an entirely different movie.

I think many will find it preachy... I think it hovered close to that line, but stayed far enough away from it; but, I'm some... um, groups(?)... will make a fuss about some aspects of it.

The biggest problem with these movie was the snail's pace of plot that packed almost no real payoff. It had some fun moments, but just didn't get up and go enough.

The next big issue I had was Clooney, who really looked like he phone this one in. Both young ladies were stellar and Hugh Laurie needed more to work with.

Heres my 2 cents.

The pluses:

1. The 2 female leads were great.
2. The perpetually smiling robot was fun.
3. The design of TL evoked the feeling of the Disney Parks. Beautiful city design and I almost felt some childhood wonder..so close. I wanted more time there.
4. The Pins as advertising was a neat twist. Tying this universe to that one with the dual physical location was ridiculous although it made for some fun plot moments.

The Negs:

1. The random killing by disintegration was very heavy handed. No need for that I thought.
2. The "we need to have a bad guy" schtick. How about some external threat that everyone unites to save TL from. Why did we need a Mob boss type antagonist?
3. The entire 3rd act was silly in a bad way. Another poorly written and re written ending. Why don't these hollywood studios realize that "its the story stupid".
4. Another exploding sphere ending? Star Wars did it twice. Thats enough.
5. I didn't like the younger Clooney kid. Bad casting me thinks.
6. Clooney phoned it in.
7. Why the heck didn't Disney Tomorrowland area house the entrance to the transportation shuttle? Its a small world? Huh? Why not Space Mountain?

I enjoyed the movie.

What I got from it is that if I got the chance to go, I would do it. It leaves me with the question, "what would I do once I got there?" What is my skill? I am not any of the things they recruit for, but I would like to be. I think that's what makes the movie cool. If you are an optimist, you will think what you could do to make this world a better place. If you are a pessimist, then you are left thinking, why bother?

I thought the cinematography was great. Loved Giacchino's score! The female leads were great casting, while the others were good casting. I enjoyed the story and the message did resonate with me. The story had some holes in it. Like when Frank was in Tomorrowland as a kid, did his parent's know? When Casey's dad and brother ended up in Tomorrowland, did they sell the house? He drop out of school? What's the cover story for people who go?Overall, I reccomend it for those interested in seeing it.

The Negs:

2. The "we need to have a bad guy" schtick. How about some external threat that everyone unites to save TL from. Why did we need a Mob boss type antagonist?

7. Why the heck didn't Disney Tomorrowland area house the entrance to the transportation shuttle? Its a small world? Huh? Why not Space Mountain?

I didn't see Hugh Laurie's character as a real villain, as in he's evil, he's just misguided and genuinely believes what he believes and is willing to do anything as a result. The reason why he opposes Athena & Clooney is because he doesn't believe that things can really change and that humanity deserves to reap what they've sewn, so to speak. To add to that, he's also never liked Clooney's character, which makes him even less inclined to believe a word he says, even when presented with evidence supporting the possibility of change. It's also worth mentioning that the whole uniting against a common threat thing is hardly new or original either and has been done to death by Hollywood as well.

As for the entrance to Tommorowland, that wasn't It's a Small World at Disneyland, it was before it opened at Disneyland and was part of the World's Fair. Considering how the World's Fairs of the time often had a theme dealing with the future and the world of tomorrow it's fitting that the entrance to Tomorrowland be hidden there. There's also the small matter of inventors fair going on there as well, can't exactly have that at Disneyland but a World's Fair would be a perfect place to hold one

Not evil? He sends robots with full authority to kill little girls and cops. Nuff said. Of course evil folks never see themselves as evil. Every character has their own internal motivations that they use to justify actions but evil actions equal evil person or character. I understand his motivations and reasons as presented, I just found him to be a cardboard cutout of a villain. As written he would be barely adequate to be in an Austin Powers movie. It's also worth mentioning that just about everything has been done to death in 100 years of film but I would submit that the solo antagonist terminating in a physical confrontation with the hero followed by a large explosion at the finale has been done near to death and I am sick of seeing it.

I understand all of the reasons they used the world's fair and it's a small world. I'm very familiar with the actual Disney presence at the actual fair. I would have preferred an entirely different plot device around getting him into TL that used a Disney park as the launch point. For me it would have been a better fit and it would have resonated better with audiences. There are certainly more people alive that have been to Disney than the 60 ' world's fair.

This movie is getting trashed by critics and movie goers alike and I think the negs I listed are part of the reason why.

I'm Ebert and the has been "At the Movies" :)

I understand all of the reasons they used the world's fair and it's a small world. I'm very familiar with the actual Disney presence at the actual fair. I would have preferred an entirely different plot device around getting him into TL that used a Disney park as the launch point. For me it would have been a better fit and it would have resonated better with audiences. There are certainly more people alive that have been to Disney than the 60 ' world's fair.

This was something I expected that did not happen. I do my best to be spoiler free these days, but I did follow this movie to know that they filmed at Disneyland and Disneyworld. I thought they filmed at Disneyworld because of the Carousel of Progress. Which was not featured in the movie. Small World scenes were done at DL. And the World's Fair set was recreated in Vancouver. I would have rather seen them go to a Disney Park than the Eiffel tower. That would have resonated better with audiences (at least me) I think. However, if they did I am sure some critic would be complaining that it was jut a commercial for Disney Parks of that had happened.

Either way, I am still a fan of the movie.

On another note, I saw that Disney store is selling Plus Ultra shirts with a glow in the dark Tomorrowland logo on it. Some cool posters too. I got two of the three posters and the shirt. Third poster is sold out.

I saw this at a drive-in with speakers from 1956 that you hang off your window. They also broadcast for the car radio too. Kids were running all over, and sitting in lawn chairs near the screen and such. It fit the theme of the film really well.

I enjoyed it a whole lot. It was very preachy I felt, and I don't agree with the message they were preaching, but it didn't detract from my enjoyment. I was raised when PG adventures were in theaters every week, so it really was like going back in time.

I was a bit disappointed with not much Tomorrowland being shown too, and I also felt like The Eiffel Tower was an odd choice. Mind you, I'm a bit of a Tesla fanboy, so I thought the inclusion of his "myth" into the film was pretty darn cool. But it really seemed like they should have went to the Tomorrowland park, and crossed from there. It would have been an excellent way to give that park another level of cool.

But it's certainly going to be added to the home video collection and watched many times.

I saw this at a drive-in with speakers from 1956 that you hang off your window. They also broadcast for the car radio too. Kids were running all over, and sitting in lawn chairs near the screen and such. It fit the theme of the film really well.

I enjoyed it a whole lot. It was very preachy I felt, and I don't agree with the message they were preaching, but it didn't detract from my enjoyment. I was raised when PG adventures were in theaters every week, so it really was like going back in time.

I was a bit disappointed with not much Tomorrowland being shown too, and I also felt like The Eiffel Tower was an odd choice. Mind you, I'm a bit of a Tesla fanboy, so I thought the inclusion of his "myth" into the film was pretty darn cool. But it really seemed like they should have went to the Tomorrowland park, and crossed from there. It would have been an excellent way to give that park another level of cool.

But it's certainly going to be added to the home video collection and watched many times.

I liked the bit about Edison being a thieving bitch :lol

I really enjoyed this film, not many films these days impress me as much as this one. I agree about it being preachy but I kind of liked it, it was the truth they were speaking.

Easily the best family film I have seen in years.

I just saw it last night and I've got to say, I kind of liked it. (It helped that I didn't do any research on the movie before-hand, and went in with SUPER low expectations.) I thought that the action (and the story) was very good, and the CGI effects were excellent. Like Jeyl made reference to before, it was kind of nice to see a good ol' fashioned "PG" Sci-Fi/Action film for the whole family. It kind of harkened back to something from the '80's for me. I would definitely recommend it. It was a very entertaining movie as far as I'm concerned.

Pretty much sums up my opinion, but, I also agree with this :

..but it seems like they never really get around to it. The first hour and a half of the film is spent on earth trying to get there...then once we arrive there, it's a deserted wasteland with no explanation of why it is the way it is. Lots of things are hinted at, and I feel like nothing was very well explained.

I haven't seen the movie (yet), but grabbed the "Before Tomorrowland" novel at DL yesterday and I'm interested to dig into that a bit. It's odd, I find myself with some innate attachment to this movie, and really wish it would have a chance at a sequel or even anything slightly related to it (prequel,etc.). I just think the bones of the world are really cool, and that maybe there will be enough fans that it could end up with some "cult" type popularity. I guess the retro futuristic stuff just seems under represented in this era of super high tech futures and superheroes. Again I understand that it is silly to defend a movie I haven't even watched, but I just want more properties in this vein, and would hate to see that genre die because of unsatisfactory returns.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back