Magnoli, Baron, or Other for Tenth Doctor Suit?

zetabyte99

Hello all, long time lurker first time poster here. I am currently trying to throw together the best 10th doctor costume I can without breaking the bank- as with all here I suppose. I've got the 50th anniversary tie, a decent blue suit tie, both pairs of converse, sonic, etc. But I lack the center piece-the suit. So, my question is where can I get an accurate suit without killing my wallet?

From what I know my options for fabric are
Brown
Magnoli
Baron
Primrodo (unavailable)
Jo-Ann's Potting (unavailable)

Blue
Magnoli
Baron

Then my options for tailoring are
Magnoli
Baron
Someone I know

So, all you veteran RPFers- which fabrics are the best? Who does the best tailoring? Can you give me as much detail as possible? Is it even worth it to try to buy an Ebay replica?

I thought the Magnoli brown pictured on the model was a bit off but on the mannequin it looked pretty much spot on.
Similarly, I thought the Magnoli custom rust pinstripes on teal looked really bright on the model, but really good on the mannequin (maybe a tad darker would be better).
extra-image-1157.jpg
extra-image-123.jpg
extra-image-1324.jpg
extra-image-1304.jpg

As for Baron, the brown looks pretty good but the blue looked really strange too me. The pinstripes were very noticeable and almost made the suit look purply.
blue_stripes_suit.jpg
brown_stripes_suit.jpg

So. Thoughts? What is the best option? Discuss

Thanks!

The picture of Ryan (RIP) in the brown suit is the Jo-Ann fabric, not Magnoli's. Not sure which blue fabric Brian is sporting in the other picture. The brown mannequin picture is Magnoli's old wool fabric for the suit. Pretty decent color match, but the stripes are way too far part.

To get the best suit, buy the fabric from Magnoli and send it to Baron. Primrodo put in a lot of work and money getting their pattern spot on. The Magnoli fabrics are reproduced from swatches of the real fabrics, they're woven and apart from some minuscule details that some people nitpick to death, they're spot on. The Baron fabrics are screen printed and just plain awful. The stripes on the brown are too vivid and the material is really low quality. The blue looks more like a Joker suit to me.

I own a Baron and I could not be more pleased with the result! They were very willing to make changes even after I already ordered, very responsive, the color was a bit too dark at first but it's pre-shrunk and made of cotton, so I washed it a few times and now it looks great! It fits perfectly and is surprisingly durable. As well as being half the price of Magnoli. That being said, the Magnoli ties can't be beat IMHO

It might be worth noting that we are currently revising our Tennant Suit pattern to make this as accurate as possible. Combining this with our custom fabric, this should end up being the most accurate Tennant Suit available.

It might be worth noting that we are currently revising our Tennant Suit pattern to make this as accurate as possible. Combining this with our custom fabric, this should end up being the most accurate Tennant Suit available.

Do you have an idea of when your pattern revisions will be completed?

Pattern revisions are being done right now, but the final photoshoot of the new suit won't be for at least a month.

That's weird, I'm trying to figure out if the photo between the brown suit and Brian is me...

I wore my brown suit to the exhibition and the fabric is pretty spot on and pretty much is the definitive brown fabric out there for this. I still think there's room for a definitive *blue* suit fabric. The original was this weird, overdyed colour, quite dark.

Hoping to like what I see when you show the revised pattern Magnoli, considering there's all of two places selling Tennant suit's even worth looking at, might as well make sure yours are worth it..
It's like with Tennant sonics, there's not much out there, but at least the highest end ones are totally accurate.

I'm pretty sure I will be wearing a Tennant suit for my wedding next year and was looking into the same places. The screen printing makes me nervous and if it's for my wedding so I want it to look amazing and last a long time. Looking forward to seeing the revised pattern.

So I received some swatches from Baron. I'm mostly interested in the Brown suit. Now, is it just me or is the brown way too dark?

With Flash:

Without Flash:

I think the big issue isn't really the brown on the fabric, but the blue stripes are too vibrant, possibly just slightly too large...which is odd to say a pin stripe is too thick. the vibrant blue really makes the brown look darker, so like someone said earlier, after a few washes the blue would hopefully tone out a little and make match with the brown better.

Dave Ward, Terrasolo, and I have pictures of the three of us in 10 suits and you can see the difference between the Magnoli and Baron fabrics in natural light. I'll dig one out in the next few days if one of them doesn't beat me to it.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back