RANCOR Sculpt FINISHED PAGE 7!

Re: RANCOR Sculpt

Whew!!! Nice save. I read your title that said "CATASTROPHE!!!" and my heart sank. Good recovery though. Everyone can rest easy now. HAHA

Thanks Alan. Go on, show the T2! It is a bit demoralising, but you just gotta keep going otherwise you have just wasted too much time. By the way, I was going to ask you, I'm thinking about having the right hand more clenched, but not fully. The angles of the fingers would be a nightmare to cast though - imagine the hand position when using the gear lever on your car. - Would you remove the fingers and just cast them separately? Probably the easiest option?

As always there will be more than one way to skin this cat. I'm not a master mould maker, so if any experienced mould makers would like to chip in with an opinion please do.The fingers are long and thin and will be curled in something of a semi circle... it may be possible to add sprues to the ends of the fingers so that the resin runs in. The problem is usually where the pour hole is in relation to the areas where bubbles may get trapped. If you do the whole hand separate then you may be able to bring sprues up from the ends of the fingers and right out of the mould... so when you fill the mould, when you see resin coming out of those holes, you know the fingers are full. I suggest sculpting it how you would like it, then working out how to cast it later. Of course, in doing that in Monster Clay, if it seems that the fingers need to be cast separately, you will have the task of removing them and socketing them etc. There will be a way though.

Last edited:

Thanks Alan, some very good ideas there. The actual moulding would probably be trickier part, because of all the directional changes. It wouldn't be easy to make a two-part mould for it. Anyhow, I'll continue sculpting and then worry about that later. The good thing is that the skin texture of the Rancor is pretty forgiving, so if I did cut the fingers off I don't think it would be too much of a nightmare to reattach them. I'm sure I'll be bugging you about them in the coming weeks/months!

Chris brought this over to my house last night, and it's looking really nice. A good size and the detailing is looking really good even at this early stage. Definitely one to watch.

Long time, no update. But I've been really busy on this build, especially this last few weeks. After the whole thing fell to pieces (apart from the face and arms) I rebuilt and studied as many pictures as I could. - This was tricky as there are not many images out there, but I think I have amassed quite a good collection. Even the new Rinzler ROTJ book has a couple of pics that have been put to use.

I'm really going for as close to the filming puppet as possible, whilst still trying to make this thing look good as a sculpture. So, there is some artistic license, but not much.

1525273_10151830288482286_1717443527_n.jpg

I've now completed both arms form-wise and I will now re-detail them.

1524916_10151830288572286_344161862_n.jpg

The head kept getting too wide and large, even in the photos it looks a bit big, but looks pretty well-proportioned in the flesh. I know you should not detail before the forms are finished, but in discussion with Alaneye, sometimes you need to to get a good sense of how things are going. You can see that the jaw has been reworked here, hence no detail.

1526687_10151830288602286_945614498_n.jpg

It is coming along pretty well - needs more investigation on the arm and of course the manacle needs finishing. I shortened the arms slightly, as they were thinning out a little too much at the ends. Started putting some more form and definition into the right foot too.

1497742_10151830288672286_241457078_n.jpg

^ A bit of body texture experimentation. To do this I used either a needle or scalpel depending on the depth of the wrinkle. I worked with the scalpel angled upwards so the cut would have some overhang, like a tiled roof. I didn't spend too long fussing on this because if it didn't work I could just smooth the area down and start again. I worked in the main horizontal wrinkles, then put in fine vertical lines, then used the blowtorch very carefully and lightly to just about melt the surface. This causes the little square shapes to bloat and become more spherical.

After the pass is complete I wash over the area with white spirits to soften and blend. Very easy to do, but takes a little back-and-forth until the detail reads well.

1521507_10151830289342286_1156660946_n.jpg

^ The chunks of wire sticking out are like grab handles. The one thing which is tricky with monster clay is that it does react to the heat in your hands, obscuring detail quickly if you are not careful. I'm actually going to wear cotton gloves in later stages as it should keep my fingers cool.

996785_10151830289372286_1960528660_n.jpg

1510624_10151830289272286_1309687784_n.jpg

^ So, yeah, how do I detail the back? Well, since taking these photos the beast has been decapitated. I will save the back for last and will be able to remove the sculpture from the frame, and rest it on its neck to work on. Also, I'm casting the head separately so lopping it off was my plan anyway.

If people see any areas on this sculpture they think are off, by all means voice your opinion. It is one of the main reasons I post on here :)

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• 1524916_10151830288572286_344161862_n.jpg
    1524916_10151830288572286_344161862_n.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 200

That is looks so beautiful!!!! You have captured the face on this more than any company to date!! Excellent job. I really hope you offer these for sale - I would take one as is. This is my favorite Star Wars beast and you really are on track to finishing it superbly!

This really is looking Fantastic!! lovely job :thumbsup :)

I've got to get me some of that clay your using. The stuff I'm using is fine for larger areas but not so much for the detailed stuff

Looking really good, Chris. Coming along well. Love that grizzled look in its face... reminds me of you :D

Fantastic, i love that skin texture...a blow torch you say, bloody fantastic! Id be keen for a casting if it comes through, never painted a creature, but i loves me the Rancor, still got a boxed Vintage Kenner at my Moms house, it has snapping jaw action you know....the Rancor, not my Mom lol!

lee

Cheers Ralphee, working on it as we speak. I apparently used to take my Kenner Rancor to bed with me as a kid, instead of a teddy. Ha ha ha!

Great work mate really fantastic. The detailing is superb,looks just lik the film beasty. I'd not been back to this thread since you started so was great to see all the progress you've made. Now can't wait to see him finished.

That beast looks "bang on" to me Chris,you captured the essence of the beast before having fun with the detailing which is very important,super work,cannot wait to see your approach to the paintwork.
Bruce

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back