Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    Florida better known as Mustafar in September!
    Jul 17, 2016, 12:50 AM - My ANH Death Star Detention Center Security Camera (DCSCam) Build #1

I have completed my ANH Death Star Detention Center Security Camera (DCSCam) Build. it is not 100% screen accurate but the best I could do!
    a big thanks goes out to "Korbanth" for helping me acquire the three color buttons.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	645057Click image for larger version. 

Name:	02.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	121.5 KB 
ID:	645058Click image for larger version. 

Name:	03.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	192.2 KB 
ID:	645059Click image for larger version. 

Name:	04.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	227.2 KB 
ID:	645060Click image for larger version. 

Name:	05.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	236.1 KB 
ID:	645061Click image for larger version. 

Name:	06.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	201.2 KB 
ID:	645062Click image for larger version. 

Name:	08.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	102.5 KB 
ID:	645063Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	177.9 KB 
ID:	645065Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	173.7 KB 
ID:	645064Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	144.5 KB 
ID:	645066Click image for larger version. 

Name:	24.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	645069Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	645068Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	645067Click image for larger version. 

Name:	25.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	357.9 KB 
ID:	645070Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	120.0 KB 
ID:	645071Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	394.8 KB 
ID:	645072
    Last edited by enaswede; Jul 17, 2016 at 2:05 AM.
  2. RPF Premium Member andy19422's Avatar
    Jul 17, 2016, 3:10 AM - Re: My ANH Death Star Detention Center Security Camera (DCSCam) Build #2

That looks fantastic, well done. Did you buy the paint for the cameras off the shelve or did you get it mixed? I'm thinking of putting LED panels in mine so they can also be used as lights.
    From
    Jul 17, 2016, 7:53 AM - Re: My ANH Death Star Detention Center Security Camera (DCSCam) Build #3

andy19422 said: View Post
    That looks fantastic, well done. Did you buy the paint for the cameras off the shelve or did you get it mixed? I'm thinking of putting LED panels in mine so they can also be used as lights.
    Thanks! I had the paint color matched at the paint store. I have an entire can left that I will never use... in fact if you need paint I will mail the remaining can to you if you pay for shipping... but that might be more expensive than if you just had it matched yourself locally. Anyway... I would like to see photos of yours when you are done!
    From
    Dallas / Fort Worth, Texas
    Jul 17, 2016, 6:13 PM - Re: My ANH Death Star Detention Center Security Camera (DCSCam) Build #4

It's a really nice set you have there. It's nice to see somebody get one done.
    Jul 17, 2016, 6:25 PM - Re: My ANH Death Star Detention Center Security Camera (DCSCam) Build #5

Love it when someone takes a "not-so-popular-prop" and hit a home-run like you did with that one!
    From
    Gotham
    Jul 18, 2016, 8:27 AM - Re: My ANH Death Star Detention Center Security Camera (DCSCam) Build #6

Very cool!
    From
    Dacula, GA
    Jul 21, 2016, 6:53 PM - Re: My ANH Death Star Detention Center Security Camera (DCSCam) Build #7

Nice work, thanks for posting!

I like your foam backing as a solution for flat mounting the curved back of the viewers. I sanded off (Dremel) the most protruding part on the back of my viewers, but the overall curve is still there. Using some foam might be a good fix, I think that I'll try a variation of this.

Nice work on the antennas, too. And thanks for the tip on lights. Hoping that Philip's will eventually be available, but for now I am using reflectors w/doorstop covers a la Sofaking01.

Cheers!
    From
    Jul 21, 2016, 6:55 PM - Re: My ANH Death Star Detention Center Security Camera (DCSCam) Build #8

We're definitely making them. Just waiting on the bezels that are being chromed.
    From
    Germany
    Jul 22, 2016, 2:57 AM - Re: My ANH Death Star Detention Center Security Camera (DCSCam) Build #9

joberg said: View Post
    Love it when someone takes a "not-so-popular-prop" and hit a home-run like you did with that one!
    It is a popular item - many of us are just waiting for the lights to come.

- - - Updated - - -

enaswede said: View Post
    I have completed my ANH Death Star Detention Center Security Camera (DCSCam) Build.
    Looks good.
  10. RPF Premium Member OdiWan72's Avatar
    From
    Cologne, Germany
    Jul 22, 2016, 3:20 AM - Re: My ANH Death Star Detention Center Security Camera (DCSCam) Build #10

Thanks looking great buddy!

I am having my slide viewers stored away for years, just waiting for the lights to become available before I finally proceed with the build.
    Was thinking about a solution to deal with the viewers curved back and the foam seems to be a good idea.

Had a few cans of paint color matched as well, BUT the spray-paint seems to react with the viewers plastic, dulling it! Did you have such a problem as well?
    From
    The Cloud City.
    Jul 22, 2016, 4:10 AM - Re: My ANH Death Star Detention Center Security Camera (DCSCam) Build #11

Wow awesome job, I'm working on this prop as well but so far I've only found 3 viewers, so still need another 3 and the lights of course....

OdiWan72 said: View Post
    Had a few cans of paint color matched as well, BUT the spray-paint seems to react with the viewers plastic, dulling it! Did you have such a problem as well?
    Markus, have you tried wet sanding the paint? I would apply thick coats of paint , wet sand it then apply T-cut (fine scratch remover).

That's how I plan to do mine, once done they shouldn't even look painted but rather like plastic.
  12. RPF Premium Member OdiWan72's Avatar
    From
    Cologne, Germany
    Jul 22, 2016, 4:13 AM - Re: My ANH Death Star Detention Center Security Camera (DCSCam) Build #12

HDPE said: View Post
    Wow awesome job, I'm working on this prop as well but so far I've only found 3 viewers, so still need another 3 and the lights of course....

Markus, have you tried wet sanding the paint? I would apply thick coats of paint , wet sand it then apply T-cut (fine scratch remover).

That's how I plan to do mine, once done they shouldn't even look painted but rather like plastic.
    I have a spare damaged viewer...will test it
    From
    Jul 22, 2016, 6:45 AM - Re: My ANH Death Star Detention Center Security Camera (DCSCam) Build #13

It paints fine for us. Though as you can see in the photos we matched the wrong blue of the mono-color versions.

From
    Huntsville, AL
    Jul 22, 2016, 7:03 AM - Re: My ANH Death Star Detention Center Security Camera (DCSCam) Build #14

joberg said: View Post
    You put the words right into my mouth! BRAVO! Love the other DS panel as well!
  15. RPF Premium Member kurtyboy's Avatar
    From
    UK
    Jul 22, 2016, 7:13 AM - Re: My ANH Death Star Detention Center Security Camera (DCSCam) Build #15

Looks great and nice way of fixing to wall.
  16. RPF Premium Member OdiWan72's Avatar
    From
    Cologne, Germany
    Jul 22, 2016, 7:16 AM - Re: My ANH Death Star Detention Center Security Camera (DCSCam) Build #16

Rebelscum said: View Post
    It paints fine for us. Though as you can see in the photos we matched the wrong blue of the mono-color versions.

http://www.rebelscum.com/2016/viewer-painted1.jpg

http://www.rebelscum.com/2016/viewer-painted2.jpg
    So the lighter blue would be accurate!?
    Have to check which one I sent in for color matching...
    From
    Jul 22, 2016, 7:22 AM - Re: My ANH Death Star Detention Center Security Camera (DCSCam) Build #17

So the lighter blue would be accurate!?
    Have to check which one I sent in for color matching...
    In the pic of three of them, the mono color one is on the right side.

Another difference is the bezel around the lens is white on that one. On the two-tones ones I have, the bezels have a slight blue tint.

FYI that one we painted is a casting, as we have gone to the trouble to mold and cast them, including the lenses so we can make full sets of them for the displays.
  18. RPF Premium Member enaswede's Avatar
    From
    Jul 22, 2016, 6:14 PM - Re: My ANH Death Star Detention Center Security Camera (DCSCam) Build #18

Thank you all for your kind words!
    Last edited by enaswede; Jul 22, 2016 at 6:23 PM.
  19. RPF Premium Member enaswede's Avatar
    From
    Jul 22, 2016, 6:23 PM - Re: My ANH Death Star Detention Center Security Camera (DCSCam) Build #19

Was thinking about a solution to deal with the viewers curved back and the foam seems to be a good idea.
    I actually used cork coasters... they worked good because the were giving yet more sturdy than foam and easy to paint.

One of my six viewers was the same color on top and bottom... but yes, the paint I used did dull the painted sections so I just clear coated the entire viewer to make it match as best I could all over.
    From
    Kansas City MO
    Jul 22, 2016, 7:11 PM - Re: My ANH Death Star Detention Center Security Camera (DCSCam) Build #20

This is wonderful. I was surprised the first time I saw pics of the views at how big they were. In the movie I always assumed they were much smaller.
  21. RPF Premium Member enaswede's Avatar
    From
    Jul 22, 2016, 8:38 PM - Re: My ANH Death Star Detention Center Security Camera (DCSCam) Build #21

I had the hardest time figuring out how to mount it in the corner of my office. I finally got lucky and found this tv wall mount and it is perfect... almost as if it was made for what I was trying to do. Here is the link for the mount just in case anyone else needs one.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/SANUS-VuePoint-F107d-13-32-Full-Motion-Wall-Mount/38078602

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	587.5 KB 
ID:	646999
    Last edited by enaswede; Jan 7, 2017 at 11:19 AM.
    From
    Salt Lake City
    Jul 22, 2016, 10:47 PM - Re: My ANH Death Star Detention Center Security Camera (DCSCam) Build #22

It came out fantastic! Might have to try and build one of these myself!
    From
    Jul 25, 2016, 8:23 AM - Re: My ANH Death Star Detention Center Security Camera (DCSCam) Build #23

Oops, I mentioned earlier it paints fine for us. True, but what is painted in that earlier photo is our casting of the viewer, not a viewer that's been painted. Haven't painted one yet, though it's coming.
    From
    Irvine California
    Jan 6, 2017, 8:53 PM - Re: My ANH Death Star Detention Center Security Camera (DCSCam) Build #24

enaswede said: View Post
    Thanks! I had the paint color matched at the paint store. I have an entire can left that I will never use... in fact if you need paint I will mail the remaining can to you if you pay for shipping... but that might be more expensive than if you just had it matched yourself locally. Anyway... I would like to see photos of yours when you are done!
    Heya E. Im about to embark on my build. Can I ask you what store you had do the color match? Did you get spray paint or roller paint?
  25. RPF Premium Member enaswede's Avatar
    From
    Jan 6, 2017, 9:16 PM - Re: My ANH Death Star Detention Center Security Camera (DCSCam) Build #25

Cameron said: View Post
    Heya E. Im about to embark on my build. Can I ask you what store you had do the color match? Did you get spray paint or roller paint?
    I had it matched at Sherwin Williams... I had to buy a quart and did not even use a third of it. I still have the remaining paint and have no use for it. If you pay for shipping... I will be glad to ship it to you.