Etsy Enforcing Orange Tip Regulation

You can either comply with the law or make it so the law does not apply: sell kits. The follow up question to that would be how much do you have to take it apart to classify as a kit?[/QUOTE

That's a good question. Most kits I see are typically solid, unpainted castings.

I've had a mail back from Etsy, specifying the items that violated their policy. These were 'realistic' guns - Derringers and a modded Luger - which I've now removed. My understanding is that this policy only applies to 'real world' props, so I'll be sticking to Nerfs and Rayguns from now on.

This started when I was a kid in the 80's. There was actually a case that got a lot of coverage of a police officer that killed a kid. He was responding to a call and the kid had a realistic toy gun. The officer didn't realize it was a toy and killed him. I love props and realism, but there is a good legitimate reason for this law. Even if its a Sci-Fi gun it could look real in the dark. That is why so many toy guns now come in silly neon colors. Better safe than DEAD.

I have to disagree, I find it silly and dangerous. People have been killed for decades, certainly longer than I have been around, for carrying all sorts of innocuous items. Some I know of, toys, tools, drills, carpenter's angles, luch boxes, household items, cell phones, the poor guy in his well lit foyer in New York that got turned into Swiss Cheese for holding his wallet. Coloring an item a funny color won't help, it depends on the circumstances and the professionalism of the person with the gun. I'm fifty-six years old, and as a kid I had an arsenal, that children today could only dream of, and would give Sara Brady and embolism. We ran around our neighborhood, and in the city park behind our houses, and guess what? No body freaked, the Cops weren't called, AND NOBODY GOT SHOT FOR HAVING A TOY GUN!! The only thing the Cops we saw told us, was to be careful when running with our guns! Were the Cops better back in the 60s, or is this a tempest in a teapot? It is tragic when someone is killed for carrying a common item, but it is going to happen. You can require that every toy gun be florescent colors. You can outlaw and eliminate ALL toy guns and weapons. People will still be accidentally killed for the items that they are carrying.

Back in the early eighties, when this crap started. A cop I knew was lamenting the coloring of toy guns in bright colors. I asked him why, and he asked me. How long do you think it is going to be, before some criminal paints his gun a bright color, and a Cop gets Shot. Within a couple of days, there was a news story about a criminal with a rifle, who shot at some Cops. They showed his rifle and his pistol. The pistol had been painted with fluorescent orange paint. This is not uncommon, the news media just doesn't like to point it out.

This started because some people figured out that if you demonize toy guns, then you can scare children and parents into believing that an item like a toy gun is EEEVIL. LOOK! A toy can get you KILLED!! See how evil guns are, even toy ones!

Control the narrative. Control the minds. Control the people.

David.

Re: Etsy Enforcing Orange Tip Regulation - ATF not much better

The MORONS regulating imitation or replica "firearms" are not limited to Esty or Ebay, . . . .

The ATF has a staffing problem with whoever hired this idiot to enforce federal regulations. He clearly has no understanding of firearms, capabilities, limitations, possibilities of AIRSOFT vs a REAL firearm. If there was an EXAM - he FAILED. Here is the youtube video of the REAL LIFE story of a goof with a badge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2sWiZ8BizI

The LEAST the ATF should have done is say -" Sorry folks - Agent Goofball has been schooled - we completely apologize. He could not have been more egregiously wrong - we have transferred him to the mail room."

If he was smart enough to use the internet and ever ran across the RPF - He would likely have the Government SEIZE the entire organization and members - having confused a Star Trek replica PHASER and an M1 Tank. Believe me he has the IQ of a toddler if this was an example of his finest work.

Regulation by idiots frustrates me.

Follow up story:

http://www.examiner.com/article/why-do-atf-employees-question-fitness-of-agent-toy-gun-seizure

I think the SAME guy now works at EBAY as an "AD Enforcement" Agent specializing in ORANGE TIP violations !

What do you think?

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back