Portals 2 Chell cosplay WORKING LONG FALL BOOTS WIP

Tarchinoko

So I decided to put this up here so that everyone can see the progress ive made on my girlfriend's Chell Cosplay!

I wanted to do this on as small a budget as possible without having to make the clothing from scratch so for the shirt I bought two different tank tops to match the design in the game! one white and one light blue.

to make the aperture logo simply take a white tank top, an aperture logo stencil made from card stock and finally a clothes marker!

once we test fitted it looked good so we moved on to the jumpsuit! :thumbsup

For the jumpsuit I simply ordered a prisoner costume online, unfortunately i couldnt find any made for women... so! We altered the jumpsuit ourselves to fit better from the waist down seeing as the waist up would just end up tied around the waist anyways! We also added elastic to the waist to help keep the jumpsuit just below the waist. Once we did that we test fitted and once again was looking good! :thumbsup

The next part i moved onto was the portal gun. now because this is a low budget build i didnt want to buy the NECA replica ASHPD so instead i decided to try out a bit more foam building and hopefully hone my skills a bit! unfortunately the seams on the shells didnt look too great because i forgot to sand them down before sealing :facepalm but if i end up unhappy with them later on I can always re build them!

Because i cant find anywhere to get PVC pipe in Hong Kong i built all the tubular sections from foam as well, i made a support structure from half inch foam which i then covered in the thinner craft foam to make the full structure, even the prongs were made completely from foam as well!

For the light tube I bought a rod of acrylic and sanded it by hand to make it diffuse light better, the light source was a Cree L.E.D torch housed inside the gun itself.

once again test fit before moving on!

Once that was out of the way I sealed and painted, I still need to add the light at the top of the white shell at the back to finish it all but here it is!

So now the costume is about 80% complete and now comes the most difficult and fiddly part... the boots and i had no idea what I was going to do for this at first so i was kinda just riding along and seeing where it went :popcorn

I saw maggie's thread here on the RPF on her working spring heels! This inspired me to try her concept but improve upon it slightly
the steel support with a harness is essentially the same but instead of making the boots out of craft foam from scratch i decided to see if i could integrate the harness inside an existing pair of boots I bought for the costume. The pair of boots I bought were as close to the shape and height of the long fall boots

my plan was to take some white pleather and layer it ontop of the boot to create the look of the long fall boot after I added the harness on the inside and removing the heel. So i made the metal supports from 5mm steel bar that was 35 mm wide and bought some ripstop nylon to make it. First we made a template by wrapping her leg whilst inside the boot in cling wrap and then masking tape, i then drew on the shape of the harness that i wanted and cut it off

but before making the harness i decided to do a strength test

thats 16 kilos on the fabric tripled up, after i leaned on it a bit more and bounced it a bit it started ripping :cry and i dont feel safe having my girlfriend walk on these unless it can support at least 5kg more than her weight so I decided to try buying some bridle leather and trying that out instead! so thats where im up to right now, i welcome all suggestions for what material to use for the harness as I would like to not waste anymore money on the wrong stuff :lol

Last edited:
Re: Portals 2 Chell cosplay

thanks guys! but does anyone have any suggestions for the harness material? I was told veg tan leather would work but that stuff is expensive :( so does anyone have any suggestions of a different fabric perhaps?

That foam gun is really cool. I like the unpainted, nerf-looking version!

haha thanks! a lot of my foam projects end up with that look before painting :p
IMG_20130515_191032.jpg

very small update! ive finished adding the top light to the portal gun! and ive dusted off an old project which is my mini companion cube! for love thats portable :D
i had this project almost finished last year but lost interest, but now i think that it will be a cute addition to the Chell cosplay! measures about 8x8x8 cm

20130820_015851.jpg20130820_020138.jpg20130820_020154.jpg

also progress is being made on the harness! i bought some 2.5mm bridle leather and am sewing it together over the next few days
hand sewing leather is the most tedious thing ive ever done...

Well, wow. Those are some seriously awesome sculpting skills, which foam did you use? Also, how stiff and strong is the foam? Can it be worked with a dremel and sand paper? Most foams i have seen don't get smoothed by sanding but just rip into shreds.
Really like the portal gun though.

Awesome! I just made the boot structure for a friend recently. She made the boot cover herself :)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...79463498774315_1170342506_n.jpg&size=797,1200

Here's her in full costume:

View attachment 269819
wow thats awesome thanks! Ill check that out for sure! This has been put on hold along with all my other projects until im back from china unfortunately so no progress will be posted on this until at least february :(

Well, wow. Those are some seriously awesome sculpting skills, which foam did you use? Also, how stiff and strong is the foam? Can it be worked with a dremel and sand paper? Most foams i have seen don't get smoothed by sanding but just rip into shreds.
Really like the portal gun though.
I used EVA foam! Sand paper not so much but a dremel can sand through this stuff like it was butter! The only reason why I sanded the shell was to try to sand down the super glue seams a bit smoother, for that I used 400+ grit sandpaper as that doesnt seem to damage the surface of the rest of the foam :)

This looks great so far! And I have to ask about the mini companion cube, how is it made? Kinda want one of my own haha

This looks great so far! And I have to ask about the mini companion cube, how is it made? Kinda want one of my own haha

The companion cube was a one off I made for myself as a sort of desk decoration/paper weight
it was made using wood and MDF but sections of it have been molded and cast so that I didnt have to do each corner piece individually :p
heres a link to the thread i posted on it! http://www.therpf.com/f9/cake-lie-148051/

The stencil on the Tank Top came out great. I never have good luck attempting to cut out stencils like that. Never seem to have the finesse with exacto blade to make them look good.

The stencil on the Tank Top came out great. I never have good luck attempting to cut out stencils like that. Never seem to have the finesse with exacto blade to make them look good.

Thanks! Actually i didnt do it all with my stanley knife, I did the rough cut with it then trimmed up the inside a bit with a small pair of scissors!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back