Scratch-build of Rocketeer Cirrus X-3 Rocketpack

Beginning with a good prime. Also starting to test out some silver rattle cans.

Attachments

• pack.jpg
    pack.jpg
    769.7 KB · Views: 548
Valor, this might be a stupid question, but how did/do you ensure adequate coverage with the primer in all those vents/slats/nooks/crannies, while avoiding getting it too thick and/or drippy on the more accessible areas?

Thnx. :thumbsup :cool

Last edited by a moderator:
It wasn't too hard. And what you see in that shot are three pieces that I primed separately –*The front piece, the top radiator and the body. It's really about moving all around it and shooting from different angles. And spraying light coats.

Funny you should mention that. :) My goal for the silver is a satin metallic silver. Not chrome and shiney. More vintage.

Here's what I found that I think I love. It's called Champagne Silver from Modern Metals. I found it at Michaels. Its not cheap and comes in small cans, but it performs really well. It dries in minutes and the can promises a tough finish that won't scratch and doesn't need a clearcoat.

Amazon.com: Design Master Modern Metals, Champagne Silver: Arts, Crafts & Sewing

It's not a neutral silver, it has a tiny hint of gold in it. Real subtle, like a warm silver. The photos below show it next to a cap from a Rustoleum silver, and a piece I sprayed sitting on a piece of raw aluminum to show the slight hue.

I love the satin (but metallic) finish. And I think I like the slight warm cast to the color. It feels like a throwback color. Like a 30s-40s color. Or even like the pack has a bit of a vintage patina to it. Something different from the other lacks I've seen. I'm going to live with the couple pieces I've sprayed for a few days. Take them into different lighting, indoors, outdoors. Make damn sure I can live with the color.

Attachments

• IMG_1542.jpg
    IMG_1542.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_1543.jpg
    IMG_1543.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_1544.jpg
    IMG_1544.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_1545.jpg
    IMG_1545.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 291
  • IMG_1546.JPG
    IMG_1546.JPG
    242.7 KB · Views: 369
Last edited:
Not sure how fancy. It does spray really clean. And the small can covers quite a bit. The can says "The first coat goes on transparent. The second coat is opaque." And that's what's I've noticed. It really only takes 3-4 light coats to look great.

Last edited:
Well, the "Champagne Silver" didn't sit with me well. Overall I didn't like the gold cast it had. It was beautiful, but not very true to the look of the pack.

So, ofter trying a bunch of silver/aluminum colors, I settled on this Rustoleum Satin Aluminum. I'm shooting the pack today. Hopefully I can post some assembled pics later this week. And holy crap, does the silver paint ever show the areas I missed with the spot filler :(

I'm still debating how much weathering I put into her.

Attachments

• pack1.jpg
    pack1.jpg
    727.6 KB · Views: 469
  • pack2.jpg
    pack2.jpg
    720.1 KB · Views: 278
Yeah...not really the right colour. Thanks for the feed-back concerning those cans. I guess it's back to plan A. As for the weathering, Adam Savage did a wonderful job on his rocket pack and explained some of the tricks he used here on the board.

Okay .... drum roll! Here's my complete Cirrus X-3. The build and paint is complete. Still some details to fuss over. Some small imperfections in the finish to address. But ... it's "done".

I love this thing! Build time was about 14 weeks front start to finish. I worked on it almost everyday, even if it was just an hour. Everything is hand made by me ... well, except for the tubes and the control rods on the flaps. I learned a massive amount about molding and casting during the process. This was by far the largest, most time-intensive single build I've ever done.

There are a few things I would have done different if I did it again. But not many. Most things came about pretty successfully. What was really fun about this was the build really consisted of many, many smaller builds. Each with their own challenges. So instead of being intimidated by the overwhelming nature of the project, I could focus on one section, one part at a time. Then move on the the next. The center section of the pack was my biggest challenge and the most rewarding to see come to life.

Still to do:
• A harness. It ain't really a rocketpack until I can wear it! I don't want to bust the budget on this either. I've seen a bunch of options. Just need to figure out what I want to tackle.
• Lighting. I bought the LED on adhesive tape asavage recommended. Not sure how to fit it in the rockets. I may try some 12v LED auto fog lights and mount them in each rocket.
• Sound .... Not sure how (or if I want to) to tackle this. I have some advice from people who have done this. But it's an expensive endeavor too. I may live with fan and lights.
• Some sort of a stand. I'm not wearing this (well not yet anyway) so I want a cool stand that can support and display the pack.

Thank you everyone for the kind words, tips and encouragement during this project.

Attachments

• IMG_1563.jpg
    IMG_1563.jpg
    518.1 KB · Views: 2,153
  • IMG_1564.jpg
    IMG_1564.jpg
    463.9 KB · Views: 513
  • IMG_1567.jpg
    IMG_1567.jpg
    462 KB · Views: 440
  • IMG_1568.jpg
    IMG_1568.jpg
    582.5 KB · Views: 434
  • IMG_1570.jpg
    IMG_1570.jpg
    486.3 KB · Views: 419
  • IMG_1572.jpg
    IMG_1572.jpg
    558.3 KB · Views: 374
  • IMG_1573.jpg
    IMG_1573.jpg
    713.6 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_1575.jpg
    IMG_1575.jpg
    560.2 KB · Views: 370
  • IMG_1576.jpg
    IMG_1576.jpg
    619.2 KB · Views: 414
  • IMG_1577.jpg
    IMG_1577.jpg
    449.2 KB · Views: 415
  • IMG_1578.jpg
    IMG_1578.jpg
    487 KB · Views: 374
  • IMG_1579.jpg
    IMG_1579.jpg
    897.3 KB · Views: 504
Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back