Length of DY-100 SS Botany Bay

Scott, the antenna panels look completely solid in these photos, with no mesh indication at all visible. I guess the model was never slated for a close-up. Was there any evidence of what they're made of?
This I say with confidence they are a mesh material, and that material is out of production. The SS E uses the same material on the pylons.
bb05.jpg

Here is closeup of the material.
dscn2119aj.jpg

This is shown next to the the screen material used on the 66" E.

What I want to find is the kit parts used on the BB?

But my model is done, Proper your to late to the table. I'm not going to bother to make another 350 BB. The kit is out there and done, you can't undue that. I will tell you your attitude is why guys like me keep quiet about this stuff. And there are things out there that would blow your mind.

My intent was to determine the length of the "real" Botany Bay in order to determine the correct size of a 1:350 scale model to go with my "studio scale" 1:350 MR Enterprise which is 32.46". Now that I know the length of the original studio model of the Botany Bay, I can deduce that this 1:350 dimension should be 10.34" or somewhere very close to that. So, if the model available from Fantastic Plastic (I'm still confused as to whether this kit is your design/scale) is 10.34" then I'm happy to go with that. Mega Hobby also carries this same kit and according to someone there the length of the kit is about 10", which if true is about right.

The kit is out there and done, you can't undue that. I will tell you your attitude is why guys like me keep quiet about this stuff. And there are things out there that would blow your mind.

I'm not sure what you mean with these last two sentences, Atemylunch. Again, the only reason I'm a relative stickler for scale in this particular case is because I'd simply like to display a to-scale BB model next to my MR E a la the classic space scene in "Space Seed."

My intent was to determine the length of the "real" Botany Bay in order to determine the correct size of a 1:350 scale model to go with my "studio scale" 1:350 MR Enterprise which is 32.46". Now that I know the length of the original studio model of the Botany Bay, I can deduce that this 1:350 dimension should be 10.34" or somewhere very close to that. So, if the model available from Fantastic Plastic (I'm still confused as to whether this kit is your design/scale) is 10.34" then I'm happy to go with that. Mega Hobby also carries this same kit and according to someone there the length of the kit is about 10", which if true is about right.
That is the kit I designed. There isn't any others offered at this time(that I'm aware of).

I'm not sure what you mean with these last two sentences, Atemylunch. Again, the only reason I'm a relative stickler for scale in this particular case is because I'd simply like to display a to-scale BB model next to my MR E a la the classic space scene in "Space Seed."
That is why guys stay quiet, because your in a long line of many fanboys that are sticklers. 99.9999% of you have no clue of what your talking about. You see a number and you think it's an absolute, and keep going on about it. Instead of doing something about it, like building the model. Since you think the model is all wrong go make your own. Those of us who do are sick of those of you who just talk. Besides if you can afford a $75 model, you can make your own for a lot less than that.
2007-08-29_kg_mr1701-botanybay-f22-006e.jpg

Can you tell if this model is off? I can't and I designed the thing. I would look at the fixing the MR E if your going to be that picky about these models.

That is why guys stay quiet, because your in a long line of many fanboys that are sticklers. 99.9999% of you have no clue of what your talking about. You see a number and you think it's an absolute, and keep going on about it. Instead of doing something about it, like building the model. Since you think the model is all wrong go make your own. Those of us who do are sick of those of you who just talk. Besides if you can afford a $75 model, you can make your own for a lot less than that.

Can you tell if this model is off? I can't and I designed the thing. I would look at the fixing the MR E if your going to be that picky about these models.

Jeez! I don’t see why you’re getting so defensive and condescending! And I don’t know what you’re going on about: ‘seeing a number and thinking it’s an absolute.’ For heaven’s sake, if 1+1 = 2, then the answer is 2. If the studio BB is 43” and a 1:350 of Jefferies’ 947' Enterprise is 32.46,” then the BB to scale is 10.34.” This is simple arithmetic. Why does this upset you and cause you to resent me and the rest of us who can ‘just talk’? You insist on lumping us ‘fanboys’ into an unsavory category of those who have ‘no clue what we are talking about.’

I’m not here to attack your character or your talents, or to point out errors or miscalculations. I admire your work and appreciate all the posted documentation. You are amazingly talented and you have some extraordinary equipment and technical knowledge and expertise--most of us are not, and do not. It's true, you have paid your dues, while I for one have not. I am relegated to non-scratchbuild kits and ready-made models.

Sorry, I am not elite.

So, no, I cannot make ‘my own’ Botany Bay. The kit exists for the majority who do not have the technology, the equipment, the talent and the time that you do. I’m just a ‘fanboy,’ after all.

You are a contradiction: You declare that there are no ‘absolutes’ in model-making and yet you expend tremendous energies and resources in trying to get measurements and scale just right and accurate beyond belief for your model. Then, when someone else, perhaps someone not in your league of extraordinary model-building-gentlemen likewise attempts to establish accuracy you are critical and downright offensive.

Thanks for the mesh pics/tips. I intend on looking for some brass mesh to substitute for the antenna mast panels along with soldered brass rods in place of the styrene ones.

Last edited:
Here is closeup of the material.
dscn2119aj.jpg

This is shown next to the the screen material used on the 66" E.

What I want to find is the kit parts used on the BB?

Which one is the BB mesh? Left or right? Also what size grid is it sitting on? Are they 1" squares?
Thanks

bbgregshop4.jpg

As you can see, this shot shows the etched brass pattern as being the same in the shot Max put up. This shot is cropped, which exaggerates the relationship of the measuring tape to the collector panel. The tape is actually on the same plane as the side of the 'hull'.

Scott

Great info guys. I had my hand on a ~8x11 piece of that stuff the other day and was so close to buying it. It was old as heck and i was looking at it for a different project. I'll definetly go grab it now.

Are those 6-71 blower halves on the back?
Can you tell me which kit these car parts could be from?
And where would be a good place to look for the grills/louvers in the front of the sail and on the lower back of the sail?
bb14n.jpg
bb13i.jpg

bb08m.jpg

Scott thanks for posting the pics. What did you get for the width of the engine section?

Looks like there are 2 valve covers on top at the waist . I can't remember if it's a buick or olds that had that odd valve cover. In the back, in the center, near the bottom it looks like a Hilborne fuel injection intake manifold to me.

I picked up the brass today. It looks spot on. It has a part # and looks like it has the slot size on it too. It is definetly still in production. Shipsnthings and specialshapes dot com have it. Just search PFS-200. Here is a pic for reference.

DSC04582Medium.jpg

I picked up the brass today. It looks spot on. It has a part # and looks like it has the slot size on it too. It is definetly still in production. Shipsnthings and specialshapes dot com have it. Just search PFS-200. Here is a pic for reference.

Thanks, ZK! For what size BB are you using this? Did you get yours for $6.95? Shipsnthings price is $20.

Last edited:
It is definetly still in production.
PFS-200 is no longer in production. That's what they told me at Special Shapes when I called them. They said it used to sell well but in the last few years it fell off.

I'll try ships n things, perhaps they have a good inventory. They do have a good price, they are either blowing it out, of have a ton of it.

Thanks, ZK! For what size BB are you using this? Did you get yours for $6.95? Shipsnthings price is $20.

$6.95 was the original MSRP. The bag had a store pricetag of $6.25 so i got it for $6.75 out the door. The place i bought it at had had it for a long time it looked like.

The sheet i bought was 6x12"

$6.95 was the original MSRP. The bag had a store pricetag of $6.25 so i got it for $6.75 out the door. The place i bought it at had had it for a long time it looked like.

The sheet i bought was 6x12"

Sweet deal! Is your BB the Fantastic Plastic kit? Have you started it yet?

bbgregshop5.jpg

bbgregshop6.jpg

The rear section is 8 inches wide and 6 inches long. I don't have a verifiable measurement for the thickness.

bbgregshop7.jpg

The detail indicated by the arrow is probably the dashboard from a Model T kit. I forget who told me that, but I never had a chance to check it out. I completely overlooked this detail when I did my kit-- I thought it was painted on!

Scott

Last edited:
Thanks, Scott. I wonder how much of the original paint and weathering treatment is preserved as it was originally done. Is what we're seeing in these pics an unscathed rendition, or has there been damage and loss to the paint finish? Also, how was this original coloring altered to seem considerably more grey on screen?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back