Guy on eBay selling my 3D printed props!!!

It's one of the reasons I took my site down. A guy copied all my lightsaber plans which were watermarked extensively, painted out the watermarks and was selling them on ebay. When busted (thanks to a member here) he claimed they were all his. I did an overlay in photoshop and the thing was a 100% dead on match. Then i got a hold of ebay (without a photo) and they said they looked at them and they saw nothing substantially similar. I replied and told the guy he didn't even look at them and sent them my pic, the image on the auction and the overly. I got the response, 'sorry, i apparently was mistaken, they are similar' - in which time the guy sold like 10 before he got shut down.

My all-time favorite was a guy who emailed me and asked me for my files. I said, sorry, i don't hand them out, private property. To which he goes off on a short little rant saying 'what do you care? you're not doing anything with them anyway.'

People are lazy a-holes who want everything free for no effort.

Thanks for all the help and support with this guys. Hopefully now this is the last we'll hear of this (although if you check his eBay profile you can see he's selling a load of other 3D printed stuff, no doubt all of it stolen from other people)

I'd just like to say how great it is when something like this happens, how everyone bands together and supports one another to show that this isn't what we're about.

Thanks to this one person trying to profit from my work, I've been forced to take down most of the "bigger" items from my Thingiverse account, which means from now on, if anyone wants to use my files they'll have to get in touch via PM.

EDIT: here's a link to the eBay profile, if any of you have any Star Wars/Rogue One props on Thingiverse I'd recommend you check him out just in case he's using your files:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/propworkz?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

This happens to me often. I usually first ask nicely, and if they don't respond or are dicks about it, then I use the official DMCA takedown notice through etsy/ebay/etc. I've really limited my sharing because of it.

That would have been my course of action had things not gone so well, but thankfully the seller took the listing down straight away (even though he was unaware of the fact that stealing is in fact illegal :rolleyes )

I'm a lot more cautious about sharing things now.

G'day The14thDr , sorry to hear about your ( and others ) predicament/s re; mis-used files .
Just went on the site you put up post#23 , and the person still has the ' prop ' up for sale . Thought they'd remove it , but it's advertised as a ' new ' listing !

Cheers Ged

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a feeling they would pop back up, but I didn't think it would be this quick. Thanks for the heads-up!

Trouble is, they're being a little smarter about it now and not using my images, but I'm almost certain they'll still be using my files. Any suggestions on a course of action since I now technically can't prove that it's my files?

Soo... A quick search on thingiverse revealed this... Guy is a total thief! I'm messaging the designer to make him aware of this.

Screen Shot 2017-04-05 at 10.33.00 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-04-05 at 10.33.09 AM.png

Okay, I've sent the seller another message asking to see photos of either the actual item or the files they are using, this should give some concrete evidence as to whether or not they are still using my files:

I'm messaging you again regarding your death star plans replica, which has been listed again with different images.

The image you have provided in the listing is a screenshot from the movie, so I was wondering if you would be able to provide an image of the actual item for sale, and if not (say if these are made to order), could you kindly send me a photo of the files you are using to print the props?

This would be greatly appreciated.

Quick update on this.

The guy accused me of not providing proof that they were in fact my files, so when I provided screenshots of my WIP posts from the very forum proving that I had made the files, he agreed to show me his new design...

... before changing his mind and saying that he cannot send me photos of his file for fear of me posting them on this forum (he has seen this thread and maintains that his reasoning behind this is the fact that I posted a link to his eBay)

I see it is still being listed and the listing quotes 'Death Star Plans card by propworkz is licensed under the creative commons' so they have sort of taken note of your original message to them ;)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back