AKIRA power bike-based electric bike build

My project

Attachments

• 20170419_163047[58].jpg
    20170419_163047[58].jpg
    842 KB · Views: 447
ha ha this is my interpretation of the akira bike, not BruceKenobi's, I am also going with electric drive though, 72v.

- - - Updated - - -

JPEG_1491078109024_1248912941.jpg6x 12v SLA batteries wired in series. Bit on the heavy side though.

My project

That looks great!! I see you are going down the wood path for the coverings, how is that working out? Is it easier? What tire size are you using? 72v is a great choice, my first e-bike was a 72v system, I'm going now with 96v though, as I want over 100 kph hehe. Are you using AGM batteries? I would love to hear your comments on the build

Last edited:
UPDATE!! I know I’ve been out of this for some time, but fear not, the build is still going strong, and today I present to you the chassis. I am not as far advances as Raikov, but I’ll get there! My controller just arrived, the motor will be here soon, and then we will start with batteries.20170422_134225.jpg20170422_133058.jpg20170422_133102.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice! Yes, batteries are always heavy (not so much for Lithium-Ion). What will be the range of the bike on one charge (average)?

True that, I also have an electric bike and I use pedal power on hill and cut-off battery power on down hill;)

True that, I also have an electric bike and I use pedal power on hill and cut-off battery power on down hill;)

a wise decision! I once saw a video on youtube of a man that had a hybrid like what you describe: pedal power and electric power. He was always pedaling, but in a relaxed way, and the batteries gave him a boost to go really fast; I understand you use pedal power to avoid abusing the batteries on hills. Unfortunately that is not a solution for this project. :(

001.JPG Not to high jack your thread, but this is my electric ''Chopper Low Rider" electric bike. I did the design and my good friend Rob Lalonde did the building.

True that...btw, is it possible for your batteries to be re-charged while driving?

It's a good idea, and the bike is already incoporating regenerative braking, however any other options of recharge would be:

1. Pedaling, and we already covered that
2. ICE-series-hybrid, and it would add weight and complexity, dunno about this idea
3. solar panels: too low power gets generated for the additional weight
4. eolic generatiors: same as above (3)

I'll try to post more pictures later today!

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 725190 Not to high jack your thread, but this is my electric ''Chopper Low Rider" electric bike. I did the design and my good friend Rob Lalonde did the building.

Very nice ride my friend, is it movie inspired? I mean this being the RPF and all....hehehehe

Is it 72v?

Hi Guys, sorry I didn't post last week, but I have some advances in the chassis, I didn't take this picture with the tires, so I had to composite them in the picture to give you an idea of how it will look all together, also, as I am camera-shy I borrowed Rinzler's helmet :p

20170507_chasis.jpg

I've noticed something though, the bike in Otomo's design is very low, and is potentially at risk of being high-centered, so I'm afraid another change will have to be done, raising the lowest clearance point of 8 cm to 15 cm, so that the risk is mitigated, that will change slightly the aesthetic of the bike.

Keep it coming. And yes, you want this to be usable....so raising it seems like a good idea.

My electric bike is not inspired by any movies...just wanted a chopper low-rider;) I saw your list of ''improvements" to get the batteries recharged while riding. You're right, everything is just adding weight for not a lot of results.

Keep it coming. And yes, you want this to be usable....so raising it seems like a good idea.

Yeah, that is the problem when you want to bring something to life, some compromises have to be made.....sucks though, I kinda like it low, BUT.....high centering a bike, is not in my bucket list.

- - - Updated - - -

My electric bike is not inspired by any movies...just wanted a chopper low-rider;) I saw your list of ''improvements" to get the batteries recharged while riding. You're right, everything is just adding weight for not a lot of results.

Yes yes, I see you are going for a chopper style ride, that's cool. I have been doing some research in how to extend the autonomy, and the most simple answer is actually the most logical one: add more batteries! :p

I cant wait to see the continued development of this, i've wanted to make one of these for myself for the longest time nut always put it on the back burner, i might actually crack this year and start it. Great work!

I cant wait to see the continued development of this, i've wanted to make one of these for myself for the longest time nut always put it on the back burner, i might actually crack this year and start it. Great work!

Thank you for your interest JayCosplayProps, this is a development for me too! I had the idea way back in 2011, "but the technology wasn't there yet to create what I envisioned in my mind"....wait, I'm not George Lucas; the thing is I had no idea how to make it. That changed after the Mark 1.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back