MST3K Season 11 - REVIEW THREAD (SPOILERS!)

Re: MST3K Revival - Production starts

I never heard of the guy before either, I think I get out enough but I'm not into standups or sitcom type shows., AVGN admittedly is niche but I've known about him for years.

Bottom line...

If they rip on bad movies and it's funny to me in the clever ways as it used to be I'm good.
I was a fanclub member back then too! Maybe I still have my membership card somewhere..

Supposedly, the story i heard, oddly a bit AFTER people got upset that he went after the nerd, is that his late wife supposedly worked on feigbusters, and patton got his undies in a wad that james made a polite, well thought out video on why he wouldn't see it. but, after seeing some of his twitter feed, it just seems like he's a standard political hollywood twit.

that was the first time i ever heard of patton, and apparently his star shot up fast after that and now he's alot more places.

a shame too. i kind of liked what i saw on the mst3k telethon a year or so ago. now, not so much. no wonder I think, it was trace, who doesn't care alot about them using LA talent this time around.

All that happened was Oswalt teased Rolfe for making a review video for a movie he hadn't seen. Everything else came from internet trolls making it a big issue, even insulting Oswalt's deceased wife.

Both guys are good, funny guys IMO.

Oswalt's involvement in MST3K makes me even more excited for it.

P.S. Anyone else old enough to remember MST3K on Comedy Channel [sic] along with a little show called Short Attention Span Theater with some guy named Jon Stewart? I used to watch it in Gitmo while on deployment, the base's cable content was bounced off satellite from Chicago of all places.

“Toy boat, toy boat, toy boat…

I certainly remember it. My wife (then my girlfriend) and I started watching MST3K in the second season when it showed up on the Comedy Channel. Just looked in my desk drawer and still have my membership card from the MST3K Fan Club.

Did anyone else here get to the Convention-con ExpoFestaRama 1 or 2 way back when?

Despite all my fears about the revival, Patton is literally the only thing I'm ok with. I can't think of anyone else better suited to be the son of TV's Frank. I watch his Star Wars filibuster at least once a month.

Actually, now that I think about it, I have to test the camera for Wondercon, so...

MST3K Fan Club Card.jpg

Part of the fan club kit was silhouettes of Joel and bots to put on your TV.
I did that and it became quite difficult to not expect some clever quips.

You can get the free Pluto TV app and watch their MST3k channel for free. 24 hours a day of MST3k

watching a little bit of the preview....

so far it feels right. i like the new set (although the buttons are WAY too far off screen, you don't even see all three). crow and servo don't sound to bad. 'kinga' isn't bad..even the Nerd hater doesn't seem too bad yet.

It just feels weird seeing known people star in mst3k. takes away some of the indipendant feel to it.
now it's time to see how the movie riffing fairs.

You can get the free Pluto TV app and watch their MST3k channel for free. 24 hours a day of MST3k

Real Life has kept me off the RPF for months. Tonight I had some free time, logged in on a whim, saw this post, and downloaded Pluto TV to my Roku...

This must be what it felt like to steal your neighbor's cable back in the day...

watching one of the newer episodes, #14, it's nice to see one reboot series that gets pretty much everything RIGHT.

it flows nicely. the humor is there. the new voices are not bad...

set design is wonderful.

it's just nice to have it back.

The episodes are out, the curtain is lifted, it's time to review the basics!

Four episodes in, I can safely say that I'm very pleased with the season. I like Jonah, love the mads and the set pieces are pretty awesome. I think my favorite change is how they tackled Gypsy. Rebecca Hanson (Who also plays Kinga Forrester's assistant) now voices Gypsy instead of some dude doing an exaggerated female impression. Story wise this is all thanks to Jonah who changed her voice to give her a specific accent. I like him already. And it gets better. Two times throughout the episode, Gypsy will show up in the theater doing maintenance work like liften some crate out from the floor, and will turn around to give a riff or two. I was worried this wasn't going to a constant thing after the first episode, but thank god it is because I'm always looking forward to when she shows up.

I'm also really happy with the on-screen interactions. Tom Servo hovering around the screen is definitely something the original show would have loved to do if they had the means to do it, and I can see why. Some of my fellow MST3K buddies think it's a bit too much, but once I got to a certain scene involving a space rocket in "The Time Travelers", I was sold.

And despite this rendition of MST3K being VERY Joel in nature, it was nice to see a few elements of the Mike era appear as well. There is a MAJOR appearance of the previous mads and seeing them all together again was just pure nostalgia. And Bill Corbett hasn't lost his touch one gawddang bit.

Cons?

I don't think I'll ever get over that opening sequence. I kind of get the idea of it and I'm glad the characters acknowledged what was going on, but I would have preferred the usual routine with the MST3K theme song played in full rather than cutting it off.

And why is there no good looking master shot of the Satellite of Love? We only see the ship from underneath with a lot of cables thrown all over it. You almost couldn't tell it was in the shape of a dog bone since (so far) from that angle.

And probably the most critiqued part of this new season, the speed of the jokes. Yeah, sometimes the riffing is so fast that you can barely take it all in. Joel and his writers defend this decision by saying it helps when you rewatch the episode (Which I always do), but that's not what bugs me about it. Whenever they go super fast and non-stop on the riffs, the movie gets drowned out. I know that riffing is the whole point of this show, but the movie has to let itself be funny as well. During the scifi era, Mike and the Bots would actually spend time reacting in shock, laughter and even amusement at what was going on in the movie without even making a joke because the movie is so bad. It felt a lot more natural and it's sadly not as common in this new take.

But overall, I'm just happy MST3K is back and doing some nifty new things along the way. Will make a full season report when I'm done.

I'm a little out of it, can someone point me to a viewing source?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm a little out of it, can someone point me to a viewing source?

It's on netflix today :). hopefully no one pirates the thing so we can get more in season 12 :)

[video]https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&u act=8&ved=0ahUKEwjpjcWsnKTTAhVkzlQKHba0D-sQtwIIJTAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwat ch%3Fv%3D5ct0Z2bQndM&usg=AFQjCNF_Rc2rKMtydhfinjOBJ m1iIDJEgg&sig2=GPHLwFaeJd-RkXm4eQ5osg[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, ex-cellent. Thanks, I still have Netflix. (Let Hulu+ go in favor of Filmstruck.)

I'd wondered if there was a reason that Netflix just offered a new listing of MST3K with previously unseen early Joel episodes (Santa Conquers the Martians and The Catalina Caper FTMFW).

Ah, ex-cellent. Thanks, I still have Netflix. (Let Hulu+ go in favor of Filmstruck.)

I'd wondered if there was a reason that Netflix just offered a new listing of MST3K with previously unseen early Joel episodes (Santa Conquers the Martians and The Catalina Caper FTMFW).

Actually, both of those episodes were early DVD releases. I have copies of both.

Actually, both of those episodes were early DVD releases. I have copies of both.
Yeah, I mean new for Netflix. Previously they had seasons separately so I could go through all the "Joel episodes" they had for streaming. I found a few more on Hulu+ when I had that.

Now they have a single season with something like 20 epis from all seasons. :-\ I was all, “Yeah, yeah,… oh wait –*that's one I haven't seen! Ooh!”

Both "Santa…" and "Catalina Caper" are classic. I have a fondness for early MST3K, partly because I discovered it (and could only watch it) on Comedy Channel in the Enlisted Quarters (BEQ) when I deployed to Gitmo for anti-interdiction ops in the USCG. The original "Robot Roll Call" looks like Joel's been up all night building sets or models and filmed barely able to keep his eyes open. :D

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back