thoughts on Star Trek Anovos VELOUR tunics?

Yeah, here's what happened, according to James:

The CR Crafts stuff is made by the same company he used to make his own tunics. But to get around (presumably) their contract with him, they tweaked the colors a bit, so they're not as accurate as his -- he's posted swatches from Theiss's notebook against a CR swatch to prove the point.

Apparently the same company is now making the ANOVOS fabric, and James says that color is off just a hair as well.

As for me, well... I've often repeated the advice of one of my best mentors: Never let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

In other words, close enough is close enough. I'm very pleased with BOTH fabrics, and I intend to go on using the CR stuff. Don't know about the Anovos, as I got the command tunic at 25% off during their holiday sale, and $225 is a bit steep for me.

Hey, just a tip for when you go make your DIY uniform. Throw the CR Crafts velour in with a couple of loads of laundry, and into the dryer with your other clothes, prior to cutting out the pattern to tailor your uniform.

The agitation, or "weathering", of the fabric will fuzz up the velour a bit more and obscure the fabric grain ("lines" in the fabric) which many people, such as NWJediDave, say you should not be able see so much to which I agree.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back