Anakin Starkiller uni body v2 preparation group thread

Wrong thread, sorry! Moved to V2 thread.

I see what you are getting at but I would have thought prop makers back in the early 80's would have grabbed whatever was available to hand at the time and the least time consuming to put on. They would not have had to worry too much about the camera picking the detail up due to the type of filming back then.

I flipped back through my reference and already answered my own question... yes, I agree that it is tape. Just thinking out loud. ;)

IMG_7982.JPG

I see what you are getting at but I would have thought prop makers back in the early 80's would have grabbed whatever was available to hand at the time and the least time consuming to put on. They would not have had to worry too much about the camera picking the detail up due to the type of filming back then.

try the dishwasher first. there have been a lot of mixed results where some had it darkened on the first try with the dishwasher, while others had only a dulling effect. also don't be afraid to run through a 2nd time with the dishwasher before trying the liquid plumber. I used the LP because its less harmful and toxic than other drain cleaners.

As a beginner in this sort of thing, I'm honestly super afraid of messing this up. (I've seriously put off working on Starkillers TFA saber because of this) Does anyone have any tips for getting over this hurdle?

These look great guys.
Great research and work.

I took a big risk and passed on this saber on the off chance that there would be another run of the 3 part V2 in the future.
I currently have a Russrep V2 from his run several years ago. Still one of my favorites but ive decided to accuraize some details.
One of which is the cone knob which is smooth rather than knurled..just out of curiosity does anyone know where to get a knurled cone knob?

These look great guys.
Great research and work.

I took a big risk and passed on this saber on the off chance that there would be another run of the 3 part V2 in the future.
I currently have a Russrep V2 from his run several years ago. Still one of my favorites but ive decided to accuraize some details.
One of which is the cone knob which is smooth rather than knurled..just out of curiosity does anyone know where to get a knurled cone knob?

Try this :)

http://www.transcriptorslimited.com/product/motor-plate-nuts/

The best advice I can offer you is that you actually can't really mess it up. Think about the fact that you're TRYING to make something look scratched all to hell, beat up, dinged, dirty, etc.
NOBODY will be able to tell if you "miss a spot" or make a mistake. Star Wars is DIRTY and weathering props is one of the most enjoyable, fun things to do to them.
Take it outside and drop it on the pavement. Once it gets that first ding, all your anxiety about messing it up will go away. lol

As a beginner in this sort of thing, I'm honestly super afraid of messing this up. (I've seriously put off working on Starkillers TFA saber because of this) Does anyone have any tips for getting over this hurdle?

So I received my unibody last week and have had a go at reducing the shine and darkening the metal. I gave it a spin in the dish washer but like some more there here it only really had the effect of dulling the metal. This morning I let it sit in a mixture of caustic drain cleaner and hot water but, again, no real difference.

Instead I thought I'd try and make use what I had lying around so I used some artist's oils I had and rubbed the black into the pommel and emitter to see how it turned out. After lot of rubbing I'm pretty happy with the result but concerned that without being properly sealed this is only a topical treatment and might rub off. I'll let it dry a couple of days and see how it is.

Here are the results of the oil rub on the pommel and emitter. Hopefully you can see the difference but it looks better under natural light.

20170219_174121.jpg

Attachments

• 20170219_174145.jpg
    20170219_174145.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 92
  • 20170219_174259.jpg
    20170219_174259.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Anyone bought some of those and might have a spare to sell? They come in three, right?

Speaking of which, anyone have a spare square set head screw for the mystery chunk? Looking for a 1/4-20 but I'm having trouble finding some in Canada without having to buy hundreds... :/

I have a spare square head if you want it. PM me :)

...speaking of which, anyone have a spare square set head screw for the mystery chunk? Looking for a 1/4-20 but I'm having trouble finding some in Canada without having to buy hundreds... :/

I've got some on hand as well and I'm only a country away.;) Your choice, though.

There's a couple on shapeways .They're small enough that getting them in metal isn't too expensive. You'll have to tap threads into it, and the saber, and use a set screw to pair them, but it's a decent alternative.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back