Star Wars ep7 BB-8 droid concept

patent info here with images
http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20140345957Publication date: 2014-11-27
Patent application number: 20140345957

Almost scared to build the thing now and then get freaking sued over it. I logically deduced what was inside this thing, it's not that hard to do. XKCD did it, I've done it, and Orbotix too only they have a patent :-/ I'd definitely say you have found the best evidence as to who build BB-8! Well done! I've noticed that the Sphero toy uses only two wheels and they were heavily beveled.

I've been leaning more towards the idea that the head and body are separate robots.
The head being a separate robot with powered wheels would not contradict the use of magnets. Magnets would probably help a ball-balancing robot be more stable on the ball, reducing the need for it to constantly adjust its position. Powered wheels on the head would make it easier to rotate and to compensate for the balls rolling motion - otherwise the pull of the magnets would be fighting friction.

I would look into putting a magnetometer (electronic compass) in each unit and use a two-way radio protocol between them. That way you would be able to use the head to indicate the direction that the ball would move by its direction on the compass.

The "hamster" inside the ball is likely to rock back and forth inside the ball as it is moving. Put its magnet at the end of a pole that could swing forward and back via a motor, with the hinge being in the centre of the ball. Use a gyroscope on the "hamster" to find how to move it.

Almost scared to build the thing now and then get freaking sued over it.
IANAL, but unless you would start selling bots or kits, you should be in the clear.

The head being a separate robot with powered wheels would not contradict the use of magnets. Magnets would probably help a ball-balancing robot be more stable on the ball, reducing the need for it to constantly adjust its position. Powered wheels on the head would make it easier to rotate and to compensate for the balls rolling motion - otherwise the pull of the magnets would be fighting friction.

You could do that but friction is adjustable by varying the distance between the magnets.

I would look into putting a magnetometer (electronic compass) in each unit and use a two-way radio protocol between them. That way you would be able to use the head to indicate the direction that the ball would move by its direction on the compass.

The "hamster" inside the ball is likely to rock back and forth inside the ball as it is moving. Put its magnet at the end of a pole that could swing forward and back via a motor, with the hinge being in the centre of the ball. Use a gyroscope on the "hamster" to find how to move it.

It wouldn't be hard to put two small gyroscopes on the upper part of the arm and the body below the joint, interface it with the X/Y servos and have that adjust relative to the angle of the position of the body.

In regards to the head "looking" in the direction the robot is going if the head is magnetically coupled so that the magnets underneath can twist the head from within then with a position sensor on the rotating magnets the "hamster" would know where from 0-360º the head is pointing and then calculate the wheel movement to move in that direction.

So this cropped up today. My friend Jon found it on imgur.
attachment.php

Attachments

• 3V162uF.jpg
    3V162uF.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 1,183
Here's one source for plastic spheres. The 36" (1/8" thick) one is a little spendy though at $275.

http://www.rosebrand.com/product802...id=253&idx=1&tid=1&info=Clear+Plastic+Spheres

Would 36" not be far too large? From what I've read on here estimates put the diameter at around 18". I'll be trying out something along these lines (thanks to James Bruton of robots.co.uk who made me aware that such things exist);

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Craftmill-5...9667975&sr=8-6&keywords=polystyrene+ball+50cm

Certainly a much cheaper option, also the design I'm looking to test will require a ball that can be opened/closed when need be so the interlocking parts of this will be useful in figuring out a closure mechanism

Would 36" not be far too large? From what I've read on here estimates put the diameter at around 18". I'll be trying out something along these lines (thanks to James Bruton of robots.co.uk who made me aware that such things exist);

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Craftmill-5...9667975&sr=8-6&keywords=polystyrene+ball+50cm

Certainly a much cheaper option, also the design I'm looking to test will require a ball that can be opened/closed when need be so the interlocking parts of this will be useful in figuring out a closure mechanism

They do have 18" and 24" spheres too.

Here is another idea for BB-8. It's got some sphero ideas like the partial sphere at the top and the sliding magnets.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429763287.338239.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back