ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Three ANH Greeblies Found

7dgh.jpg

Got my parts from the current run! (Aluminum Scope, mount, and grill was all I could afford) Tapped the denix for the scope mount, and I just got back from the local metal finishing shop to get a quote on anodizing!

nice.
anodizing is ok, but a nice black lacquer will look just as good and is easier to weather. Let a little metal show through for an authentic look.

Anodizing can be expensive. Most people removed the anodizing (difficult) which is why Dave decided not to include it. And the lacquer is cheaper and faster and easier to control.

Got mine too...

I do wish the grill and t Track and push rods were anodized though... since those are supposed to be black anyway.

Still... I am almost done refitting my MGC with the new steel parts. Woo hoo!

Then off to find a real mauser for the second kit!

sooo:

I have an observation and questions about c96 Mausers with bull barrels.
As far as I am aware there are 3 productions that used the bull barreled c96.
The Naked Runner 1967
The Sweeney (TV) 1975
Star Wars 1977
(Sitting Target used only the scope and mount)

I was looking at the photos and noticed some details and discrepancies...maybe someone here knows more.

I am wondering if there were 2 c96 Mausers with bull barrels !

Here are the Mausers for my 2 gun theory/query:
mr9j.jpg

Here are the images showing the right side details.

Note that the "lump" Carson noticed on the ANH HERO which also is seen in the Luke Stunt Blaster is NOT seen in either the Naked Runner or Sweeney images.

The "lump" seems to be (maybe) a welded area on the bolt housing which left a "bead" of weld overhanging into the scalloped area at the rear of the rail and the scalloped area is filed flat on the HERO/Stunt.

Also note that the top of the "lump" is stepped lower that the top of the receiver housing.

It is possible that the NR and Sweeney gun broke and the upper was welded to repair the crack and they left the "bead" of weld to reinforce the area...

xp3v.jpg

Got my parts today! Can't wait to get started. I only found this thread in January of this year and thought I'd missed out. Eight months later and I've got the parts I dreamed of. Thanks to all of you who made this possible.

BUT...

In the left images please note the small dent at the joint of the barrel and receiver. Tiny detail but there on the older Mauser and not on the SW version... (it shows in other images but I didn't include here)

AND...
Note the rail grooves. In the ANH HERO and the Luke Stunt, the grooves are almost non existent, very very shallow and washed out,
but on the Naked Runner version, the rail grooves are deep like on the other side !

I first thought that "maybe they filed the rail down", removing much of the groove but the HERO TOP view seems to show the same thickness of rail on both sides...and the rail would be substantially weakened if they did that. You would need to remove a lot of material...and why would they?

I think those left side shallow grooves are unique to the ANH HERO.

This has made me think that MAYBE, there could have been 2 bull barreled Mausers. Maybe one was a back-up.

Let me know what you think.

83li.jpg

Also, look at the length of the upper receiver between the barrel and chamber. seems longer on the NR than the HERO and the side edge of the NR vs the HERO.

The NR seems to be cut a bit longer than the HERO

Could be wrong, just some discrepancies. Could all be illusions and the lump weld due to damage on the one receiver and they filed off a bunch of the left rail for some reason...

Last edited:
Cool to see everyone is getting their parts!

And very interesting, Pat. I was wondering the same thing a while back. Aside from the weird lump, the bull barrel's chamfers in the Naked Runner didn't really look quite right to me vs. what we're seeing on the ANH Hero. And also when looking at the left-side rail groove towards the rear of the gun, there appears to be more space between the end of the groove and the end of the rail on the ANH Hero.

-Carson

Cool to see everyone is getting their parts!

And very interesting, Pat. I was wondering the same thing a while back. Aside from the weird lump, the bull barrel's chamfers in the Naked Runner didn't really look quite right to me vs. what we're seeing on the ANH Hero. And also when looking at the left-side rail groove towards the rear of the gun, there appears to be more space between the end of the groove and the end of the rail on the ANH Hero.

-Carson

Yes...that is a good observation too. The barrel chamfers do look bigger on the NR in some shots as well.

here is a chamfer comparison...

j88q.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

...now... look close at this still frame:

The blow up is unaltered and not enhanced at all so others can test this as well.

0wg3.jpg

now check out this serial number comparison:

The ANH HERO serial number is 2813

The NR blow up looks like it has a 4 in it...or is it just me?

Have fun !

u1dy.jpg

The 2813 is clear as day however the blown up shot is so distorted how can you even see any of the digits in it? then again that 2813 could be 2313 =/ however its clear enough to even make that issue.

If there is any part of this prop not found by the time this thread goes into hibernation I`d be amazed..

Upon further inspection it`s clearly an 8 as they used the rounded top not the 7 version as in the 3 so its 2813 for sure lol
my god I think my eyes are starting to go... first ya get the solar panel then the hearing starts to be less perfect then the eyes start to tweak out of focus. forget it im laying full blame on this site and some seriously distorted blown up pics : )

Last edited:
the still is from a low res dvd. It is the best available...I think.

The 8 is badly stamped on the actual prop. The Luke Stunt close ups show it clearly.

The NR blow up is fuzzy, it just seems that the numbers don't seem the same "shapes" as on the HERO and at least question it.

Sure , it could all be just an illusion from the distortion but all the evidence together seems like it could be plausible that there were two bull barreled Mausers.

1) The missing "lump"
2) The missing dent on the side
3) The larger barrel chamfers on the NR
4) The shallow rail grooves on the ANH HERO vs the deeper NR
5) The possible different serial number

Maybe someone out there has a good copy of NR. Sinatra fans?

plausible or busted ? ( tribute to Adam at MB)

Last edited:
nice.
anodizing is ok, but a nice black lacquer will look just as good and is easier to weather. Let a little metal show through for an authentic look.

Anodizing can be expensive. Most people removed the anodizing (difficult) which is why Dave decided not to include it. And the lacquer is cheaper and faster and easier to control.
Ok thanks :)
The anodizing quote came to 40 dollars. Not to bad, they thought it was cool I guess.
I may just go with that since the flash hider I already had is anodized.

I've had a little more time to closely examine the parts that arrived this morning. Really beautiful work, Dave. Thanks again. Now I need to take some more time to study kpax's photos. Hmmm...

here are some images of the serial number area to compare how it appears in different lighting conditions and focus.
Also, look again at the chamfers. Longer and flatter on the NR. steeper and more blunt on the ANH HERO
r2c7.jpg

Hold on there... you're on to something... bloody hell...

Do you have a larger version of the bottom NR pic? The WHOLE pic? I want to see a couple more details to see if I can help put a lock on your theory.

BUT...

In the left images please note the small dent at the joint of the barrel and receiver. Tiny detail but there on the older Mauser and not on the SW version... (it shows in other images but I didn't include here)

AND...
Note the rail grooves. In the ANH HERO and the Luke Stunt, the grooves are almost non existent, very very shallow and washed out,
but on the Naked Runner version, the rail grooves are deep like on the other side !

I first thought that "maybe they filed the rail down", removing much of the groove but the HERO TOP view seems to show the same thickness of rail on both sides...and the rail would be substantially weakened if they did that. You would need to remove a lot of material...and why would they?

I think those left side shallow grooves are unique to the ANH HERO.

This has made me think that MAYBE, there could have been 2 bull barreled Mausers. Maybe one was a back-up.

Let me know what you think.

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/2061/83li.jpg

Also, look at the length of the upper receiver between the barrel and chamber. seems longer on the NR than the HERO and the side edge of the NR vs the HERO.

The NR seems to be cut a bit longer than the HERO

Could be wrong, just some discrepancies. Could all be illusions and the lump weld due to damage on the one receiver and they filed off a bunch of the left rail for some reason...

The full frame unaltered is above in post 2511

Could be just a mirage but those bevels look different. Longer and lower on the NR

The extractor is clear enough to see the shape.

Found it!

vlcsnap2011062218h16m44.png

Ok... so assuming the lower receiver is a match for the upper... THIS NR gun is a PREWAR Commercial Model Mauser.

The ANH HERO... IS a WAR TIME COMMERCIAL!!!!

Two DIFFERENT Guns...

of course assuming those conditions are met.

:)

The hammer/safety assembly is different. The NR has the earlier hole though safety type safety.

more reading: http://askmisterscience.com/1896mauserbackup/safety.htm

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back