Bandai TFA MF and Fine Molds MF comparison.

sqbiedoo

OK guys, after merely 6 days (from Japan to the Netherlands) my Bandai millenium Falcon arrived at my work. I'm walking on clouds at the moment and took out my mobile phone for a quick snap and share some side by side comparison of the Bandai MF and the Fine Molds MF.
Here goes nothing :D

Real cool box art and material, high gloss finish aaaaaaaahhhhhh...

With the Fine Molds. Almost twice the hight.

Sooo many parts.

Same scale (1/44) but bigger nevertheless.

FM on top the Bandai's.

Well that's it for now, be back with some more closeups.

Last edited:
Beautiful, sqbiedoo - like comparing a 32 with a 5-footer. How is the hull curvature, by the way -- is it noticeably different? This is what I'm eager to know :) Can't wait for mine!

Beautiful, sqbiedoo - like comparing a 32 with a 5-footer. How is the hull curvature, by the way -- is it noticeably different? This is what I'm eager to know :) Can't wait for mine!

Oh man, knew I was forgetting something. Any way here the hull on the side. Like comparing a Bigmac with..... a hamburger :lol

Enjoy, sorry for the crappy phone snap.

Last edited:
Love this. It reminds me of my old diecast falcon from 77. Totally fat

I'm holding off on this. I can't justify (yet) doing a third 1/144 falcon when I have such an untouched stash of bandai models sitting there

I want one!
But my google searches are only showing results for a prepainted kit.
Where can I get this one?

EDIT: Found 'em on ebay. I guess this is the only source in the USA?

Last edited:
So glad to see your's arrived safely :cheers

Mine is almost there just passed customs and land in france today :thumbsup

Hope to see you building it soon! :$

Has the dish base been moved forward and to the right from the original location on the "new" Falcon? Or have they changed the pipes and lines coming up the hull top to line up with it?

Has the dish base been moved forward and to the right from the original location on the "new" Falcon? Or have they changed the pipes and lines coming up the hull top to line up with it?

Nope

When comparing the FM to the Bandai remember they are based on two different studio models, so the layout is different between them....plus FM made some mistakes when measuring up.

Bandai on the other hand have made excellent accurate models of the OT vehicles so far,....I don't know if they've been able to digitally scan the studio models,...but they have been fantastic.....

The Force Awakens Falcon is a CG asset,....& is very, very close to the big original studio model,...theres a couple of details moved & theres a lot more greeblies & pipes in the sidewalls,.....so I'd say that those digital files were handed over to Bandai......(Revell has said that they were given digital files for their new kits)

J

I see! Thanks for the info, Jaitea! I appreciate it. :)

I still am thinking about making one of the two kits I have in to the OT Falcon, if I could make or find a proper dish and base sized for it.

Nope

When comparing the FM to the Bandai remember they are based on two different studio models, so the layout is different between them....plus FM made some mistakes when measuring up.

Bandai on the other hand have made excellent accurate models of the OT vehicles so far,....I don't know if they've been able to digitally scan the studio models,...but they have been fantastic.....

The Force Awakens Falcon is a CG asset,....& is very, very close to the big original studio model,...theres a couple of details moved & theres a lot more greeblies & pipes in the sidewalls,.....so I'd say that those digital files were handed over to Bandai......(Revell has said that they were given digital files for their new kits)

J

So there you go, Jaitea has said it. But here are some (dark) pictures for you Betamin.
Mark my brass ruler:

As Jaitea said before, two different models but let see some more differences.

I want one!
But my google searches are only showing results for a prepainted kit.
Where can I get this one?

EDIT: Found 'em on ebay. I guess this is the only source in the USA?

Amazon 3rd party sellers too. They ship from Japan but they're pretty reliable.

I was thinking about digging out my unfinished FM 1/144 kit to check out the differences, but you saved me the trouble, sqbiedoo. Thanks for the pics! Bandai definitely blew away FM in the detail department on this.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back