TITANIC Movie Props & J.Peterman?

JC2010

Hello everyone, I'm new here, great to have finally got registered...

I was hoping a few people here might be able to help me out?.. I collect Titanic Movie Props from James Cameron's version and would be interested to know if anyone here has any props from Titanic or the J.Peterman Catalogue from 1998 or if anyone might know anyone who does?

Also interested in other movie props like Bicentennial Man and Team America, but mainly looking to find what's still out there with Titanic!

Any help would be great
Thanks in advance!
J

J. Peterman... Well, there's a name I've not heard in a long time...

Seriously tho, maybe you could try and contact "Seinfeld"'s production company (NBC?) and see if any production pieces were left over in good condition...

It is 13 years later after all, and a small desktop prop such as a Peterman catalog may have likely been tossed out or destroyed after one or two seasons...

Edit;

OK, now I'm corn-fuzed... I googled J.Peterman catalog and got an actual site hit...

Sooo, maybe my "Seinfeld" ref was waaay off after all...

J. Peterman... Well, there's a name I've not heard in a long time...

Seriously tho, maybe you could try and contact "Seinfeld"'s production company (NBC?) and see if any production pieces were left over in good condition...

It is 13 years later after all, and a small desktop prop such as a Peterman catalog may have likely been tossed out or destroyed after one or two seasons...

Edit;

OK, now I'm corn-fuzed... I googled J.Peterman catalog and got an actual site hit...

Sooo, maybe my "Seinfeld" ref was waaay off after all...

Ha ha, why do I keep getting Seinfeld jokes every time I ask this stuff... just to clear it up... Titanic's props were sold off by Fox exclusively through the J.Peterman Company back in 1998.

I know some-one that worked on the movie titanic. I know he still has one of his ships cavets he built for the film. I know he sold his crew shirts already though. He also worked on films rocketeer, killer clowns from outer space, stargate, etc etc.

AHA, I was not aware of that...

I always thought J. Peterman (John O'Hurley) was Elaine's boss on Seinfeld...

I tried contacting J Peterman Co, but they changed hands since 1998 and no longer have anything or any information that could help...

If anyone else here can help it would be great, thanks!

Hello everyone, I'm new here, great to have finally got registered...I collect Titanic Movie Props from James Cameron's version and would be interested to know if anyone here has any props from Titanic or the J.Peterman Catalogue from 1998 or if anyone might know anyone who does?
Welcome aboard! This is an interesting thread. So what do you currently have for "Titanic" props? Any pictures you could post? I found this press-release and some various photos online of the "Heart of the Ocean" diamond that was sold by J. Peterman. Does anyone know how screen accurate it is supposed to be?

Monday March 23, 6:03 am Eastern Time Company Press Release
J. Peterman Co. Finds Merchandising "Jewel" in "Titanic"
"Heart of the Ocean" Necklace To Be Sold Through Company's Catalog
LEXINGTON, Ky.--(ENTERTAINMENT WIRE)--March 23, 1998--For audiences enraptured by the relationship between Rose (Kate Winslet) and Jack (Leonardo DiCaprio) in the 20th Century Fox epic ``Titanic,'' nothing symbolizes their passion and eternal love better than ``The Heart of the Ocean,'' the breathtaking blue-stone necklace given to Rose and later lost at sea.
The J. Peterman Co., following its initial offering of merchandise from the film, has recreated the necklace with exacting detail and will make it available to consumers through its catalog for $198 beginning on Monday, March 23.
An exquisite reproduction of the fabled jewel, handmade in the United States, ``The Heart of the Ocean'' contains 137 hand-set stones, all faceted Austrian crystals except for the heart-shape ``Blue Diamond'' pendant. The detachable pendant, if genuine, would be 75 carats, easily outweighing the Hope Diamond at 45 carats.
Nearly 20 inches in length including the pendant, all settings on the necklace are finished in platinum-tone and triple electroplated with rhodium, a precious metal more expensive than gold or platinum. ``The Heart of the Ocean'' necklace is packaged in a navy blue, hinged presentation box with gold printing.
``We are extremely pleased to be able to offer fans of 'Titanic' and collectors the opportunity to own this magnificent reproduction,'' said company founder and chairman John Peterman. ``We are grateful that 20th Century Fox has allowed us to 'recover' this striking piece of jewelry which, for many people, represents the heart of the film itself.''
In June 1997, nearly four months before the release of ``Titanic,'' The J. Peterman Co. began its own search -- to capture the romance, style and elegance of the early 1900s and the mystery surrounding an event imprinted on our collective memory.
First viewing some of the actual recoveries from the doomed ship itself, the company sought the exclusive right from 20th Century Fox to sell the original props from the motion picture and to manufacture and sell reproductions of the wardrobe and props. The company mailed its catalog six weeks before the film opened and sold out in only three weeks.
Along with ``The Heart of the Ocean,'' the second wave of merchandise from ``Titanic'' includes such original props as silver and crystal dinnerware, historically accurate lifeboats and first-class chairs. Also available will be reproductions of the beautiful clothing worn by Winslet, DiCaprio and others. For more information, contact The J. Peterman Co. at 800/231-7341 or visit the Web site at www.jpeterman.com.
View attachment 24217
View attachment 24218
View attachment 24219
View attachment 24220

Last edited:
Thanks for opening this thread. I am a collector of Titanic repro stuff as well. Got a few things from the Peterman cat. back in the day. Got some dinnerware and extras from a Titanic show in Baltimore years ago.

Friends and I used to have a Last Dinner of the Titanic on the anniversary of it's sinking. Everybody had to dress to the nines and we had a 7-9 course meal Edwardian style.

Looking forward to seeing or hearing about what other people have.

Cheers

Sebastian

Hello there... thanks for replying...

I'm not really into the Replica items, more the originals from the movie, The J.Peterman company sold both originals and also made replica items like the Necklace (not sure how screen accurate it is, I never really studied that peice)...

I'll list some of my things below; (see the link below for the rest)

Newel Post from the Grand Staircase
m_avatar.jpg

1/4th Scale 1st Class Corridor Door
m_avatar.jpg

The 1/6th Scale Bow Railing (as seen going under the water in the movie)

m_avatar.jpg

I have plenty of images and descriptions of some my stuff on Xpoit
Other props by other people on there too, see here

Would be great to see images of what other people have here from the Movie or even the older Titanic movies?

I just wanted to share with everyone my collection of Titanic memorabilia (displayed in my living room... Im a dork I know!) the model on the top of the cabinet is a 40 inch model made by hand, the top shelf shows a movie used silver vanity box prop, some signs, newspaper, also a bottle of engine oil from the RMS Queen Mary from her final voyage! The middle shelf has a Woodemere Premier china collection, first class dining plate movie prop, silver sugar bowl movie prop, an authentic piece of coal raised from the Titanic wreck site, the bottom shelf has a 2nd class dining set, J Peterman Heart of the Ocean necklace, J Peterman Butterfly comb, etc. My most prized possession is my film used Titanic life vest prop. I got a custom case to display it with a custom name tag. All pieces are accompanied with appropriate Certificate of Authenticity by 20th Century Fox, J Peterman, Etc. I ALSO HAVE (HAVENT UPLOADED PICS YET) a First class boat deck window from the movie and supporting pipes for the smoke stacks in the movie... ill upload the pics when i get home

wholecollection.jpg

topshelf.jpg

middleshelf.jpg

bottomshelf.jpg

lifevestdisplayed.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/audisnawb/topshelf.jp

Going back about 25 years now, I worked for a Northern UK company called Dorman Smith Ltd who made electrical switchgear. During an office clear out, I was asked to dump a load of stuff consisting old catalogues, letters, documents etc. Among them I found a fold out out invitation to an evening ball commemerating the completion of Titanic. Apparently, Dorman and Smith (as it was known then) built all the switchgear that went into the Titanic. I'm not 100% sure, but the ball could have actually been aboard the finished liner, but I couldn't swear to that. Unfortunately, this was way before the film and I stupidly tossed it. Ah well.

Alan

I have made Titanic rivet replicas that are aged and rusty looking as though just brought up from the wreck. They are cut lengthways along the center line showing the metallic gray/silver smooth surface interior. I had also embedded them inside blocks of clear resin (like the lab techs did to study under the microscope how strong the rivets are) and make a nice display piece standing up on end. Both the front and rear can be viewed this way. ;)

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back