Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII (Pre-release)

While I'm glad that LFL addressed and dismissed the idea of digitally recreating Leia - I'm still not necessarily against the idea of CG characters. What is the proper timeframe from death to CG? Most folks seemed okay with digital Tarkin, he was dead for 22 years prior to the release of Rogue One (and it recreated a Cushing from 40 years ago).

We know the story was set for Episode IX - and it's rumored Leia was a key player. We also know that there will not be a digital Leia. Do they recast Leia? One option I've heard is casting Stevie Nicks. I don't think that will sit right with fans and isn't dissimilar to creating a CG character (well, at least to me).

For me, the most respectful thing to do is to make changes to VIII, even if it means some digital manipulation... and lay Leia to rest. Some rumors seem to imply that this might not be to difficult a move - although, I'm guessing it changes some huge plot points and might mean some serious changes and maybe even some heavy reshoots.

Letting Leia die or disappear between films is doesn't feel like a good move to me. She's too important, too big a part of the story to just disappear between films or be a footnote (ie, there's a ship - it explodes - people gasp and say she was on that ship).

Leia should appear as a cgi. force ghost at the climax of the film. She should intervene in the conflict as a manifestation of the force.

Then she should say good bye. It would be awesome and tasteful. And allow us to cry about Carrie at an appropriate time in the film

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Carries loss is going to have a dramatic effect to the story on so many levels .
And its going to be horribly ironic that almost a year from now we are going to have to face it all over again when Episode VIII is released . A sad anniversary for so many connected to her and Star Wars , so much so I find myself asking how do we celebrate the release of a brand new SW trilogy film whilst also mourning the loss of its most beloved princess at the same time?
For those who read my posts here l know I like to try and work out what happens within many movies (and variations of) well in advance. Its the side effect of reading (and seeing) so much sci fi fiction in fifty years. But Episode VIII has remained pretty much of a mystery to me so far, apart from some very broad guesses.
Which is why,when we have to see Carries last portrail of Leia in a years time I find myself wanting it to be with this film rather than the next.
Why?
Because its the only way they can truthfully tackle the final act in EP9 ,as the last movie in the new trilogy,so it can be absolute honest as the last chapter and complete the cycle meaningfully. So that they get the weight of Leias loss dealt with now . Without that being realistically reflected in the story going forward, the main character actions are simply not going to feel genuine to the fans and general public.
From the simple point of view of the trilogy, without her so many key storylines are likely to have collapsed. The effect on Luke of loosing his sister, of Kylo without her distant influence ,on the Resistance without its key founders, its such a huge change for so many of the key characters to cope with, far more so than the loss of Han ( and one can only imagine how Luke will cope on hearing THAT news from Rey).
Leias loss is going to be brutal for him to bare along with his oldest friend.And I would rather have another of one of the darkest hour in Lukes life to be faced towards the end of VIII, rather like with TESB than have something tagged on to the beginning of IX. If there was any redemptive arc for Kylo I would have guessed it would come from a reluctance to harm his mother.If Leia is gone , much like Anakin loosing Padme, then the darkness should consume him utterly, particularly if her loss is blamed on another.
And we are all going to be feeling the loss of Carrie so badly a year from now. Its going to have a terribly strong impact seeing her again .
So given that Carrie had already completed her scenes I'd hope they may go the Rogue One route and rewrite some of VIII, this far out from the release date
Lets not forget how the entire cast and production will feel about this. This is not going to be a "pretend" death, a character moment in the script where the actor wanders off set. We are all going to have to watch her for the last time on screen for a year now, knowing this is absolutely her final performance. And everybody knows how essential its going to be to reflect that truthfully in the story going forward.
So that does leave Lucasfilm with some difficult decisions to make, for everybody concerned. Do they bring somebody else in to play her in 9? I'm not against that but it would seem awfully strange within the history of the trilogy.And I would argue complete against using her digital image other than for brief scenes because it would be far too raw an experience for people so close to the anniversary of her death. This is going to be so difficult to get right for both the memory of Carrie and Leia and for the generations of fans that loved her as being both the person and the princess.
I'm sure everyone at Lucasfilm and Disney totally understands this.Just think about how many people there worked with her throughout the decades . But its going to require alot of courage , honesty and grace to craft the tragedy of Carries death into a story where we are all going to feel her loss so deeply.
I'm sure they'll manage it.

Last edited:

KK has said that there will be a break after Ep 9,much like the gaps taken between the OT-PT & ST......I'm hoping Leia survives this trilogy,....They have no need to kill her off

When/if they return to the saga with Episode 10, it could be 10+ years of a gap before they go into production,....so perhaps no need to explore what happened to Leia

J

KK has said that there will be a break after Ep 9,much like the gaps taken between the OT-PT & ST......I'm hoping Leia survives this trilogy,....They have no need to kill her off

When/if they return to the saga with Episode 10, it could be 10+ years of a gap before they go into production,....so perhaps no need to explore what happened to Leia

J
Did you see furious 7?

It was a pretty difficult movie to get through. The idea that they were faking Walker's presence in the movie was both distracting and sad

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Based on some of the Ep. VIII rumors regarding her character, that she is injured early in the film, may afford them the opportunity to have the character die potentially at the end of VIII without a lot of additional reshoots. There have also been rumors that she had planned two very important scenes, one where she meet's up with Luke and one where she confronts her son. What's not known is if one, both, or neither of those are in VIII. I'm hopeful the former was shot already but again based on the rumors of a lot of this film taking place on Ach-to it may be something towards the end which might preclude them being able to have her meet an end in VIII. Although Im sure the story for IX is outlined that screenplay is still being written so there is ample time and flexibility to rework it. Without question Luke will be very much front and center for IX without Leia being as much a factor as she may have been had Carrie been available.

Did you see furious 7?

It was a pretty difficult movie to get through. The idea that they were faking Walker's presence in the movie was both distracting and sad

No,....but I know what they did,....& thats kinda what I think they should do with Leia,.....live on somewhere,...tastefully done

J

While I'm glad that LFL addressed and dismissed the idea of digitally recreating Leia - I'm still not necessarily against the idea of CG characters. What is the proper timeframe from death to CG? Most folks seemed okay with digital Tarkin, he was dead for 22 years prior to the release of Rogue One (and it recreated a Cushing from 40 years ago).

We know the story was set for Episode IX - and it's rumored Leia was a key player. We also know that there will not be a digital Leia. Do they recast Leia? One option I've heard is casting Stevie Nicks. I don't think that will sit right with fans and isn't dissimilar to creating a CG character (well, at least to me).

For me, the most respectful thing to do is to make changes to VIII, even if it means some digital manipulation... and lay Leia to rest. Some rumors seem to imply that this might not be to difficult a move - although, I'm guessing it changes some huge plot points and might mean some serious changes and maybe even some heavy reshoots.

Letting Leia die or disappear between films is doesn't feel like a good move to me. She's too important, too big a part of the story to just disappear between films or be a footnote (ie, there's a ship - it explodes - people gasp and say she was on that ship).

I agree completely.

It would likely mean some heavy course correcting, but i think it's the most honest--and honourable--thing to do.

- - - Updated - - -

Leia should appear as a cgi. force ghost at the climax of the film. She should intervene in the conflict as a manifestation of the force.

Then she should say good bye. It would be awesome and tasteful. And allow us to cry about Carrie at an appropriate time in the film

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Something like that seems like direct fan service. I'm not sure that'd be the best option...but it also isn't the worst.

I did not know this.
It explains a lot.
The giant map R2 is carrying isn't a map of the entire galaxy. It's actually a map of all the Jedi temples around the galaxy. And the section BB8 has is a lost /unknown part of space and the first Jedi temple is there but was never part of any archive, Luke found it himself..

So that means it's effectively a map of everywhere Luke has been and he took the BB8 section out and transmitted it to Lor San Tekka. If you look at TFA again in this light it does actually seem LST has just recently come into possession of the map and while that doesn't explain how the first order know me to come to get him, maybe they were hacking or spying on resistance transmissions and knew to follow whatever flights left the resistance base.
They do know where to aim when they decide to blow up the resistance base so it ties up.

That's so cool

I did not know this.
It explains a lot.
The giant map R2 is carrying isn't a map of the entire galaxy. It's actually a map of all the Jedi temples around the galaxy. And the section BB8 has is a lost /unknown part of space and the first Jedi temple is there but was never part of any archive, Luke found it himself..

So that means it's effectively a map of everywhere Luke has been and he took the BB8 section out and transmitted it to Lor San Tekka. If you look at TFA again in this light it does actually seem LST has just recently come into possession of the map and while that doesn't explain how the first order know me to come to get him, maybe they were hacking or spying on resistance transmissions and knew to follow whatever flights left the resistance base.
They do know where to aim when they decide to blow up the resistance base so it ties up.

That's so cool

?? what did i miss??

Makes loads of sense. In case R2 gets captured or destroyed or lost. He couldn't leave it complete in case the first order finds either piece So had to break them up.

Makes loads of sense. In case R2 gets captured or destroyed or lost. He couldn't leave it complete in case the first order finds either piece So had to break them up.

yes where did you get this info? i went back 2 pages and cant seem to find it

Based on some of the Ep. VIII rumors regarding her character, that she is injured early in the film, may afford them the opportunity to have the character die potentially at the end of VIII without a lot of additional reshoots. There have also been rumors that she had planned two very important scenes, one where she meet's up with Luke and one where she confronts her son. What's not known is if one, both, or neither of those are in VIII. I'm hopeful the former was shot already but again based on the rumors of a lot of this film taking place on Ach-to it may be something towards the end which might preclude them being able to have her meet an end in VIII. Although Im sure the story for IX is outlined that screenplay is still being written so there is ample time and flexibility to rework it. Without question Luke will be very much front and center for IX without Leia being as much a factor as she may have been had Carrie been available.

Leia can die of a broken heart over Ben killing Han. The fans will love that!

I'm leaning towards a ship getting destroyed or something where a stand in will be shown from the back. That way they won't need digital or anything.

I hope we get to see Luke or Rey slice that ugly head , off those effeminate shoulders , of Ren ! We went from Han not shooting first, to him not getting to draw at all. Worse than the death of James Kirk in Trek. I would rather have no Han solo again, than this. Chewie should have lit his ass up. What a crock ! The only redemption for this travesty is a saber right between Rens eyes. I mean, needing an x rating for violence , death scene , ;-) Ford should have just said no, if he had to go out like a chump. He just wanted out. Such a crap ending for a great character. But this is the 8 thread, so, DEATH TO REN !

I hope we get to see Luke or Rey slice that ugly head , off those effeminate shoulders , of Ren ! We went from Han not shooting first, to him not getting to draw at all. Worse than the death of James Kirk in Trek. I would rather have no Han solo again, than this. Chewie should have lit his ass up. What a crock ! The only redemption for this travesty is a saber right between Rens eyes. I mean, needing an x rating for violence , death scene , ;-) Ford should have just said no, if he had to go out like a chump. He just wanted out. Such a crap ending for a great character. But this is the 8 thread, so, DEATH TO REN !
Haters are gonna hate I guess.

I'm certain Harrison Ford had say in his death scene. I found it very emotionally impactful and a necessary part of Kylo's (Ben's) journey to the dark side. Han was never going to pull a blaster on his son, that would have been rediculous.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I did not know this.
It explains a lot.

That's so cool
So after a year, you finally have an explanation that sits well with you? That's not a great testament to the script.

So after a year, you finally have an explanation that sits well with you? That's not a great testament to the script.

I would counter with this: Star Wars shouldn't try to explain the technical details of the map. SW is a fantasy, not science fiction. Yes, come up with an explanation that makes sense to yourself instead of having an explanation spoon fed to you.

Have some imagination. Only Sith think in absolutes!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back