1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build

Hi Gang,

Quick morning update

Work continues on the corridor greeblies
20161127_183737_zpsrrl8h6rq.jpg

20161128_120013_zps7mtf7byo.jpg

20161128_120017_zpszsqto9wy.jpg

I added more filler to the Volvo Panels. Now we get down to replacing the orbital sander with the final hand sanding to ensure all the holes are filled!
20161128_120035_zpsw9a4wzc9.jpg

20161128_120047_zpsetmxr3xh.jpg

Part of the hand sanding includes bringing definition to the seam line
20161128_120040_zpszjwlhand.jpg

Unfortunately, "that" was a quick morning update... ;)

Is it weird that I'm getting more excited to see what you do with the cockpit entrance?

Hi S,

Not as excited as I am to be finally finished with those Volvo Panels! ;)

Thanks for the support!

- - - Updated - - -

I think that if I was to step on that base and go in that cockpit...that would be the greatest moment of my life!

Hey J,

Thanks so much! Let's make sure that happens one day! Better sooner than later, right :)

- - - Updated - - -

The shakes have stopped. ;). What are you doing to me??? Now I have to go back and redo my panels :D. Maybe the next one. Thanks for the awesome update Sofaking01. Looking forward to more.

Hey Iz,

Thanks! My changing everything up is simply to keep you on your toes! ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Outstanding work!!! Looking sooooo good!!! I hope too, to one day see the cockpit in person (I would have the biggest smile EVER!)

Keep up the great work!

Hey CJ,

Thanks so much! All you guys/gals who have been with me all these years have a front row seat and invite to come and enjoy when the cockpit is all finished up!

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Sofa,

That has to be the understatement of the year, I think that was probably one of the biggest updates we've had all year!!!!:lol

Awesome work my friend, you are definitely one of my greatest heroes for persevering as long as you have with this project, and I have to say it just keeps getting better and better. (y)thumbsup

Roughneckone:cool

Hi R,

Thanks! :) After the big push this weekend I didn't realize how many pictures I actually took of the project. Believe it or not, there were about 10-15 I didn't post. Most of them were duplicates.

Thank you for the VERY kind words and continued support. You guys are one of the main reasons why I'm still going. I really want to see this project to the end! :)

This is great. I also like that you've started the corridor too. Did you ever say why only halfway up?

By the way, how's the temperature been lately?

Hey LT,

Thanks! The weather has been FANTASTIC! We get a few high 70s here and there but the temps have been hovering between 50 and 70 - PERFECT weather! We actually had rain for the first time in almost 70 days. Naturally, the day after I decide to wash the car. ;)

I've struggled with the idea of taking the corridor all the way around and decided on halfway, which is VERY similar to the Hot Toys cockpit, to give the idea of the corridor but also for visual reasons. If we do a convention / show, it allows us to see what's going on around the cockpit entrance. BUT...

I'm still toying with the idea of taking the corridor all the way around. What do you guys think?

- - - Updated - - -

The Force is strong with this one… long has he endured, but perceived he has to his goals. :)

(Sad I know but I do have the ESB soundtrack playing too)

Hi R,

Much kindness and support you show. Appreciate the kind words I do. ;)

Looking amazing but just a couple of things. How the hell did Chewie ever get through that doorway? And that build area is never gonna be big enough for when you build the rest of the ship!

Hey D,

Thanks! No doubt Peter Mayhew had to duck while entering/exiting the cockpit. But he managed!

There are no plans to build the entire ship in the space we have. Unless I win the lottery or we have a chorus of dedicated people helping out, it will be quite some time before the full scale version sees the light of day. BUT, I am planning a second cockpit that will be even more screen accurate and wont be a mishmash of different plans. This will all be done on the CNC and laser cutter.

Have you considered putting those fancy NASA docking greeblies to good use with mating parts? The top half could be built and easily installed/removed as the situation allows. AND you can brag even more than you have a YT-1300 Convertible!

Have you considered putting those fancy NASA docking greeblies to good use with mating parts? The top half could be built and easily installed/removed as the situation allows. AND you can brag even more than you have a YT-1300 Convertible!

LOL! A Convertible? I LOVE IT! :)

As I said, I'm still open to the idea of taking the corridor all the way around. My concern is how thin the actual corridor walls are. If I take them all the way around I'll have to recut the sides using a full 4X8 sheet of 3/4" ply and then breaking the corridor into 3 separate pieces. I would also have to make them a bit thicker which will eat into the cockpit entrance wall - not a big deal. The other, and more tempting aspect of an entire corridor, is creating the foam pads with the 2-4 hallway lamps! That's what I would LOVE to see.

Again... I'm still open to the idea. What do you all think?

Well, I for one definitely want to see the corridor done all the way around....but I have to admit, I had been under the impression that you were actually going to do the whole corridor past the turn so that the view through the door was complete...but I guess I was just imagining that! :)

Well, I for one definitely want to see the corridor done all the way around....but I have to admit, I had been under the impression that you were actually going to do the whole corridor past the turn so that the view through the door was complete...but I guess I was just imagining that! :)

Hey LT,

Taking the corridor around to the right / left (depending where your standing) was the original idea but the reality is there just isn't enough room. Unless I can convince the guys I share the space with to let me keep going...

I'm still considering taking the corridor all the way around. There is no reason to mod the existing half panels - why not do both and have two different options? :)

- - - Updated - - -

LOVE IT! :)

Hey, Sofa,

Yeah, that pine sliver was much easier to see here than on the phone. Those Volvo Panels- they will always find ways of getting at you. The fact that they are resorting to physical attack means you are on the right track now.

Hey, Sofa,

Yeah, that pine sliver was much easier to see here than on the phone. Those Volvo Panels- they will always find ways of getting at you. The fact that they are resorting to physical attack means you are on the right track now.

LOL! I think you're right! I'm worried. I have 3 of the older Volvo panels in the back room. I fear they may strike at any time! ;)

That cockpit and the exterior cladding look the bomb Sofa!! I don't know how you do it man...eager to see that exterior painted and greebled (new word of the day:D).
I'm for a full corridor of course, but it's your decision in the end; I wont be mad if you say no;) Keep up the great work!

That cockpit and the exterior cladding look the bomb Sofa!! I don't know how you do it man...eager to see that exterior painted and greebled (new word of the day:D).
I'm for a full corridor of course, but it's your decision in the end; I wont be mad if you say no;) Keep up the great work!

Thank you, my friend! It was a very productive weekend! I pushed myself really hard to get past those two obstacles. This weekend comes with a LOT of primer on the nose and corridor walls. I'm hoping to also get the upper panels finished up and installed. Need to pave way for the new canopy!

I think I'm going with both a half and a full corridor! It would be wrong not to jump in and do it! We now have full time access to a CNC so I'll be taking advantage of this opportunity!

Stay Tuned to what I hope is another productive weekend!

It's nice that you are making the lower half of the corridor, but remember this... I will be patiently waiting for you to say, "Ahh, what the heck! I'll build the top half too!" :D

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back