Project sealab

I'm still trying to source a BUILT Sealab for the company to temporarily borrow for a Kickstarter video - any one out there with one? Fortune and glory await you.

Who would be so insane to actually build this kit, Jason???

(At least anyone on this board...)

I am not of any help, I know!

I'm still trying to source a BUILT Sealab for the company to temporarily borrow for a Kickstarter video - any one out there with one? Fortune and glory await you.

Would it have to be an original styrene kit? Would a resin cast do? Only thing is that one piece that's molded in clear styrene/acetate.

Understandable though if they want an original kit that's unpainted.

- - - Updated - - -

Would it have to be an original styrene kit? Would a resin cast do? Only thing is that one piece that's molded in clear styrene/acetate.

Understandable though if they want an original kit that's unpainted.

No, they just need it for the video that explains what the model is - your kit might fit the bill, resin though it may be - is it built already?

Not to gild the lily but if the clear part needed to be actually clear, I could 3D match, light, render and composite in just that piece into the resin kit - even easier if only a still frame.

Andre

I have 3 Sea lab Kits.
One was partially built, fortunately not glued very well. Though it was heavily slathered in paint which I since removed and cleaned up for casting/ study.

The second kit is "cherry", the box still has old 1970's shrink wrap and the parts are in the original bags (got from an estate sale from a guy who owned a hobby shop "back in the day" )
The third kit was opened a few parts damaged but in mostly in good shape
I might consider re-assembling the "painted" one , (restored parts are primered in Tamiya grey] --may have to use "virgin"clear parts from one of the others. I would prefer to use PVA glue for a temporary bond.
Just to keep the kit together long enough for photo- shoot, video what-ever.
The kit does not have to look professionally/expertly built does it? Will just the original plastic colors do?

Also I have about 70% of the SeaLab Kit modeled in 3D in the computer, using it for various projects including the 1/12 X-Wing Build.
I have the parts modeled in both Solid-Works as NURMS files for 3D printing etc. -and also as medium-res polygon meshes for use in CGI projects
I was considering opening a Shapeways Storefront for those wanting 3D prints.. .though anyone familiar with 3D printing will tell you, unless you are working with a different than original scale (like a1/24 TIE Bomber, or a 1/12 X-wing) Castings from an original part will yield superior results.

It would not be too difficult to do full 3D renders and animation of the "assembled" Kit
Even Texture-mapped & painted as the original instructions called for.

The medium-rez poly parts I made had that kind of thing in mind.
Most of the Sea-lab parts are very simple - geometrically speaking, though I also emulate "artifacts" found on the parts that are characteristic of injection molded parts. ( i.e.: seam lines & registration points etc.)

I never had any interest/intention of modeling the Sea-floor base, but that can easily be done with a quick 3D scan and some decimation/clean-up run on the data

Last edited:
Ahhh, the horror! A "lost" build... well, temporarily misplaced, anyway. Perhaps some 'bribery' ($$ or services)

It would be cool to have an up-scaled version to build at, say, 1/48 scale. So few of these types of subjects... wide open niche to say the least.

R/ Robert

Yeah Jason , I do have a lot of irons in the fire.
I don't need to tell you how busy it gets before Wonderfest.
-add to that that any paying freelance gigs and short-term contract jobs that come along have to take precedence over "hobby fun time"

Sorry for the delayed reply,
I am indeed busy. I been away forum this forum for months.

I feel stupid, I overlooked Marusuka's post on his digital build-up. Sorry, guess my post was redundant. Nice work by the way!

In the case of an analog build-up ...again, how nice does the model need to look?
The kit I have that I am willing to put back together has a lot of parts now primered in grey. (Tamiya primer)
Do you want a build-up i all colored and painted as per instructions? or can it be done as a Grey primered prototype with a few clear parts?

Send me a PM if you like to discuss in further detail.

Last edited:
hey Joshua,
I just checked out your SeaLab files, very nice!
and thanks very much for sharing.
I had not modeled the Cable Harness ( part # 44 & 44A) or the Upper Railing ( part #84)
check your e-mail, I'm sending you meshes of parts # 39 & #53 .

Let me know if there are any other parts you would like (also from other kits, I have a great deal of the Morser Karl & Leopold modeled) for other projects.

if that company needs mine I will part with mine for 400.00 , it still has the factory shrink wrap stuck to the box, most all the parts are still on the tree tabs. Nothing is missing or broke. I bought it sealed but had to open it and mold 5 parts. Put them back in the box and put it on the shelf

No, they are still gathering the things they need to get it off the ground. Like the unbuilt kit you also want to buy. If you buy it, it delays the project.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back