Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
WOOOT!

Coming Soon-Reel Art Press

THE 2001 FILE: HARRY LANGE AND THE DESIGN OF THE LANDMARK SCIENCE FICTION FILM

f16edef4-dba8-460f-acea-e44347ef031f_252_300.jpeg

:cool

Never before seen.

Harry Lange’s complete archive of the greatest sci-fi film in history.
This magnificent tome is a previously unseen look behind-the- scenes at the making of this most legendary of science fiction classics. Art director Harry Lange’s strikingly realistic designs for Stanley Kubrick’s 2001: A Space Odyssey created an extraordinary vision of the future and they remain the epitome of filmmaking. For the first time ever, Lange’s archive is explored in this stunning volume, featuring original concept sketches, designs, correspondence and on set photographs.

Release date: 3 March 2014

SBN: 978-0-9572610-2-0
288 pp; Hardback; 29.5 x 25 cm / 11.5 x 10 in.
Author: Christopher Frayling
Price: £45 / $75

AND ALSO

Taschen
Written by Piers Bizony
"The Making of 2001 a space odyssey"
4-book box set

http://www.taschen.com/pages/en/cat..._of_stanley_kubricks_2oo1_a_space_odyssey.htm

makingof2001.jpg

Last edited:
re: The Ultimate 2001: A Space Odyssey Book: Harry Lange Design Files

Sweet :).

I was checking Amazon and they do have it for less and is scheduled for October, while Amazon UK will have it at end of September.

Re: The Ultimate 2001: A Space Odyssey Book: Harry Lange Design Files

Oh YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cover has been updated on Amazon. Though this is also a cool looking cover, I wish they had kept the original cover choice with the scene from the film.

13064257303_674880fab1_o.jpg

It's Harry Lange's artwork, so that's still cool. Can't wait!

Meh I'm digging the new one! :lol

Re: TWO Ultimate 2001: A Space Odyssey books: Harry Lange Design AND Taschen Making-o

The Taschen Making of 2001 box set is the first out of the gate, and it's gorgeous!

makingof2001.jpg

Site says the "standard" edition is SOLD OUT, but they do have a $1,500 limited edition that comes with an art print, still available.

http://www.taschen.com/pages/en/cat..._of_stanley_kubricks_2oo1_a_space_odyssey.htm

And if they do it like their earlier "Kubrick's Napoleon" book, there might be an affordable reader's edition available sometime later. But nothing like that has been announced yet.

A must for true 2001 fans!

Karl

what a great book.i hope they do a standard edition so we can all afford it.are there any new pix of the filming models we haven't seen before?

what a great book.i hope they do a standard edition so we can all afford it.are there any new pix of the filming models we haven't seen before?

Short answer: oh yes. :cool

- - - Updated - - -

My one regret, it seems, we might not get to see the David Larson/Doug Trumbull "Making of 2001" book and documentary they were working on. I have heard nothing about the project in years. Trumbull said they were C&D'd by Warner Bros, essentially.

http://screenrant.com/douglas-trumbull-2001-space-odyssey-documentary-mikee-78202/

Pity.

The Harry Lange 2001 sketches book seems to have been pushed back to 2015 on the Reel Art Press site. Amazon still says September, which has of course already passed.

k

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back