Hydra Battery Replica: Captain America: TFA

Mike J.

Master Member
Has anyone ever replicated one of these?

I've done some searches on the net & on the board and I haven't found any.

-MJ

Attachments

• shot0003.jpg
    shot0003.jpg
    613.8 KB · Views: 253
  • shot0009.jpg
    shot0009.jpg
    537.1 KB · Views: 249
In that case...

So it begins.

If anyone has any exact dimensions, or knows if there are good views in the Art book, please let me know :)

Attachments

• wip1.jpg
    wip1.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 193
big enough to throw in an Arduino Pro-Mini and light it up or other stuff too (fades..or even bluetooth..etc)

although you wouldnt really -need- an Arduino in there just to make it light up on button press

Yeah, I'm basing my size on my gloved hand holding something of similar size (Zippo lighter) and estimating "X" looks about right, etc. Shame the auctions didn't have dimensions.

Sad to report the CA:TFA art book contains nothing on this small Hydra 'battery.' One piece of concept art of the magazine for the Red Skull's pistol, which is not quite the same thing.

Being this was about five years ago I guess we could only hope that information will surface at some point. I will ask around to see if I can find out who worked on this piece in hopes maybe they could share the rough dimensions but, being such a small prop from so long ago I am not hopeful.

Did this one go up for auction?

Did this one go up for auction?

One did and we got one bad angle photo of it, but it's high-res. It's apparently one of the ones made for the Hydra 'bandoliers,' though, with the linkage hardware on the bottom. It looks to be pretty nice in paint & construction, so I'd guess it was an alternate for the pick up off the table shots, or maybe one left sitting on the table.

That and two middling photos from private individuals of the auction preview, plus the screencaps are all we've got.

-MJ

Attachments

• 12119953_1A.jpg
    12119953_1A.jpg
    504.8 KB · Views: 195
  • 171548.jpg
    171548.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 192
With any luck more information will surface at some point but from the looks of that one you posted I think it's a little thicker than I immageined.

I doubt production would have taken the time/money to build a different one for the table scene.

There's gotta be at least two heros, in case of damage / accident / electronics failure / whatever. The way it's held in his hand in the close-up shot suggests to me that there's no linkage hardware on the bottom, but that's a guess on my part. For all we know, that's second unit photography, shot later. It could be that the linkage was removed for shooting and reattached later, or the auction one was a left-over hero from a cut scene, or the scene with Howard Stark disassembling it. I dunno.

That could be. My thought was they might have made the one, cast a bunch of copies then added the mounting hardware after the fact vs being part of the mold. But with budgets as big as theirs who knows? :)

Certainly possible, if it would have been unnecessarily difficult to make it all in a single mold...

The back piece seems to be separate, to allow for access to the lighting, I assume. Looking closely, there appears to be a small gap between the black interior body and the silvery external shell, which makes me think the heroes are maybe cast in multiple pieces (back, front shell, front black parts)? Additionally, they seem to have something like clear beads in them, visible through the 'windows,' and maybe 'glass' in the windows to keep the beads in place, if they are loose, and not cast in clear resin as solid inserts.

The background Hydra 'bandoliers' are vac-formed, but the heroes appear to be multiple parts, maybe even all illuminated.

I found a guy online who worked on some of the big Hydra ray guns. I reached out to him on FB; I'll see if he has anything to say re: the battery.

-MJ

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back