The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread

Using the TPS-L2 as reference, I've calculated the buckle to be at 2 3/8" tall or 60mm x 4.17" wide or 106mm. This includes the small flanges on the sides.

Most replicas I've seen of the buckle are too large.

Not to mention horribly out of proportion. I'll be back shortly and post some measurements I took off of the buckle. They're written down somewhere in my apartment.

Just a tiny blob (more like a dot) of glue on the back as you mentioned to hold the wrap, just make sure the wrap is done tight, seems to be holding up well.

Oh nice, can you share a photo of the worn in zipper? [emoji4]

Cool, I'll look into doing that with the glue, thanks.

If you're interested, my jacket mod thread is here.

This is what the zipper looked like fresh out of the box:
IMG_2865.JPG

And this is what it looks like now after wearing the jacket for a few weeks.
After.jpg

The only thing I have done to it is to rub some burgundy leather polish into the fabric of the zipper to make it match the jacket better.

The dulling of the metal part of the zipper is just through general wear. Turns out the best thing for weathering is actually just the weather itself :D

OK, so the height of the belt buckle in the center is 2.25". The width of the belt buckle from one end to the other is roughly 4.25". It's 5/16" thick at the thickest point, not including the raised vertical bars. It only gets slightly skinnier as it tapers to the ends, most of the domed effect is actually because it curves. I'll be making a blueprint for it soon, but given the curve I'm hesitant to go with my original plan to machine it. Maybe somebody who's good at 3d modelling would want to chat with me to make a master, then I can mold and cold cast it? Shoot me a PM if that sounds like something you'd be into.

Soulinertia Risu

Thank you for the assist, you two.

I'm basically just going to cut this buckle from foam, figure out something to use for the raised lines, and then pock-mark and rattle-can it metallic/silver. Then attach it to a sleeve that will fit over the weave/belt I have.

Hopefully it turns out well enough for the costume. When I can, I'll be upgrading to an actual leather belt and accurate buckle.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know Indy prides himself on accuracy but I wonder if he fixed the left shoulder area on his jacket. The place where the shoulder badge goes along with the embossed leather underneath is wrong.

Indy Jacket.jpg53e521e081461.jpg

Slightly ballzy but it paid off I think? Just applied some smoked dye with a brush and used a cloth to remove the excess. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439316218.704580.jpg

Last edited:
Alright I am stumped on how to get the electronics correct on my replica MDR-5a. I am using a pair of MDR-11 that I bought off of eBay as the guts to my replica MDR-5a. The left ear speaker has all the leads soldered to it; this includes wire from right ear speaker and the wire to the headphone jack. As show below:

View attachment 513501

In the original MDR-5a you can see that the left speaker wire and the speaker jack wires come out of black box. This means that the wires must be soldered together in that container.
MDR-5a.jpg

I could just feed all the wires up and over into the black container (split through the metal bar) however (1) there is not enough room in the left speaker earpiece for all those wires and (2) it is not identical to the origiinal.

Any of you guys out there have a solution? I know a couple of you have reworked the wires but I don't know if to the extent requiring complete removal of the jack wire. Soul?

So, I've been a little quiet for a few weeks and it's likely going to stay that way for a bit as I have an insane workload alongside some other things. But I wanted to share some progress on the thing that has been keeping me up at night for a couple months. Did a test print of the face and I'm happy with it. Will need a lot of cleanup due to so many compound shapes.

Still putting a lot of finishing details on it and I'm not done with the back piece but if successful, this is going to end up being as close as anyone has come without a casting of an original. Honestly though, this thing has stretched my modeling skill to the limit more than once. It looks deceptively simple at first but when you start trying to nail the details exactly as they really are, you start getting into nightmare territory trying to line things up. I honestly didn't think I was going to be able to finish it at times. (Hell, the back ribs are kicking the crap out of me still!)

helmet_testprint.jpg

There is one outfit in China, I think, trying to make progress with the pants.

1st Gen pants is a jacket/pants outfit...

Ebay Listing: Guardians of The Galaxy Star Lord Peter Quill Cosplay Costume Size L

2nd Gen pants is under....

Ebay Listing: Guardians of The Galaxy Star Lord Peter Quill Cosplay Pants Size

I've been tempted to order the 2nd gen. They even have a working knee, you can see it in photos down the page.

Another new pair of pants from ebay.

Ebay Listing: Guardians of The Galaxy Star Lord Peter Quill Cosplay Pants Size L Black Color

About $20 bucks cheaper than the 2nd gen pants. Missing the leather "pockets" and the button on the flap on the front of the thigh.

Regarding the pants... the "stripes" on the front "pocket flaps" (using quotes since I don't know what else to call them), I count 20. By my measurements for my pants, to get 20, I have them spaced at 1/2" apart. What does everyone else have? Also, the snaps on the pants, are these the same 10mm snaps used on the bag?

Wes

They're the snaps used on the jacket. The bag has 2 different sizes of snaps and a 10 mm rivet. the rows of topstitching are spaced about 5/8" apart.

Man, that thing looks gorgeous. Have you modeled it with any kind of fitting tabs or other alignment guides? I found that was the biggest issue I had trying to assemble my modded one from Helagak's files.

Does anyone have a good image of Starlord long coat with the valve on the back? I don't mean the Hot Toys images but one from the movie or stills. Unfortunately the beginning of the movie is very dark so you don't get a good shot at it. I'm checking some of the B Reels too. Thanks!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back