ST:TNG Will Riker's "Sonic driver" build and 3d files - FREE - Nova Props

Daniel Nelms

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So I decided to watch TNG from start to finish (again) and on Season 1, Episode 2 something struck my eye...

[video]https://youtu.be/HZIMb7bvzD4[/video]

Will Riker asked for a "sonic driver", now I had seen one in Miles O'Brien kit on DS9 but this one was different. I started to investigate and found that this hand prop was only used once during the series and on screen for only a few seconds. A bonus is that I couldn't find anybody who'd ever made one before.
I knew this obscure little prop would be a fun build but I decided to make it a contest and get our prop company Nova Props to sponsor the build/give away.

This is what I had to work with for reference:

Screen Shot 2015-02-13 at 3.40.06 PM.png

Fortunately I have a 3D printer (several actually) and I knew this would be an easy build so I banged out a model in autodesk 123D and printed the sucker.

Screen Shot 2015-04-03 at 9.18.28 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-04-03 at 9.19.14 AM.png

IMG_0057.JPG
Early version of the driver, it was too small...

I printed several designs before I finally settled on "version 2.0"
I printed the two front pointy things in clear PLA and the body is grey PLA on my Gen5 as my ABS printer was busy on some other jobs.

Once I finally had the finished body it was time to add the lights. This was easy enough, and you don't have to be an electrical engineer to do it.
Just chain two bright LED's in series, add a button and some button cell batteries and you are done.

I have lots of 1.5 volt silver oxide batteries for my digital calipers but decided to use 3v lithium cells.

IMG_0005.JPG
I repurposed some from a cheap keychain flash light.

First wire up your LED's in series:

IMG_0006.JPG
IMG_0009.JPG

Wire up a button, I used a cheap momentary switch I had sitting around.
IMG_0012.JPG

I made loops in the wires and tinned them to act as battery contacts
IMG_0008.JPG
IMG_0013.JPG

Add some heat shrink tubing or tape to insulate the wires to prevent a short.
IMG_0010.JPG

Connect the battery contacts to your button cells and I heat shrinked them to hold everything in place.
IMG_0014.JPG

Sand/putty/prime/paint and assemble your new sonic driver. These steps are self explanatory.

B2F97322-7F52-4E71-A3D4-1D8C52D880AB.JPG
The finished sonic driver. I went in later and touched up the paint and added matt black to the front recessed area. I couldn't find any krylon dove grey as I don't think they make it anymore so I just mixed up colors myself until I was happy with it.

I put up the contest thread thinking it would take months before someone would identify it but in less than 12 hours @<i><a href="http://www.therpf.com/member.php?u=81034" target="_blank">bikemancs</a></i> identified it.
I have since mailed him his own kit to build.

I have put the files up on my dropbox for you to download and print your own "sonic driver" here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ucrh0mvck9stzs9/sonic driver 2.0.zip?dl=0

I do offer 3D printing services so if you don't have a printer feel free to PM me. I would be happy to print one for you for a modest fee.

I hope you all enjoy it! :)

Questions/Comments? Fire away!

Attachments

• IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    784.3 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back