SyFy's Heroes of Cosplay

Are we absolutely sure the cast was paid?

I was not paid for appearing on my show.

Okay so I am reading through this thread and am back many pages on it, still. Normally I wouldn't bring up super old posts, especially since this may have been addressed before but...

You can't NOT be paid if you are appearing in a SAG-AFTRA show. It goes against the union rules. How did you NOT get paid??? If you need it, I can give you the SAG info for your region if you want and you can contact their office and maybe recoup some of what you should be owed. You should have been Taft-Hartleyed in and be at SAG-e status, assuming you were not union affiliated as 'talent' previously.

Crabcat was at the Edmonton Expo this weekend taking pics at the Bioware booth. I was going to say hi but didn't want to be called a bully.

rimshot-o.gif

SyFy is showing a bunch of reruns today to get people excited about the new season. I forgot how they made things look more dramatic than they really were, like Riddle "freezing" at MegaCon. And that Monika needs a serious attitude adjustment. I really hope that was editing and/or acting.

We need one of someone being shocked that reality shows made them look bad while appearing on it lol
For now this will have to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have only one hope for this season and that's Gavin Free of Rooster Teeth/Achievement Hunter being on TV again. His girlfriend Meg Turney (former cohost of SourceFed and slated host for Immersion Season 2 until she started dating Gav) is one of the new cosplayers. Otherwise this show is just gonna be another MST3K session.

Couple more minutes until the new season starts. Any bets on whether the editors make the "cast" likable?

While the lack of Jinyo was really obvious (at least to me), I was very happy to see the faux drama dropped and more of a focus placed on building. The kind of builds featured on the show are not my kind of builds at all (so short of a time and so randomly chosen), but I think they are doing a better job representing our community so far this season. Was really happy to see a number of RPFers including our own AbbyDarkStar and Annisse. I still wish they would move away from the whole "this hobby is predominantly about making costumes for contests in a week" but for one show so far, I am hopeful for this season!

Last edited:
While the lack of @Jinyo was really obvious (at least to me), I was very happy to see the faux drama dropped and more of a focus placed on building. The kind of builds featured on the show are not my kind of builds at all (so short of a time and so randomly chosen), but I think they are doing a better job representing our community so far this season. Was really happy to see a number of RPFers including our own @AbbyDarkStar and @Annisse. I still wish they would move away from the whole "this hobby is predominantly about making costumes for contests in a week" but for one show so far, I am hopeful for this season!

Wait a minute, there's a second season of Heroes of Cosplay already ? And it's better than the first one, according to the above quote ? German here, so I need to...you know...."get" the episodes from somewhere but this sounds pretty decent for a reality show like this, especially when they managed to focus on building more than on high-school-level-drama.

I had it on in the background and will watch it after work. One thing I noticed last season and I think I heard it once or twice last night was people talking about making a business out of it. Is there much money to be made? It seems like it is either selling accessories or, I have to say it, selling sexy calendars. Accessories makes sense but seems to be a niche market.

And I still do not like "Heroes" as part of the title.

Sent from my Etch A Sketch.

I still wish they would move away from the whole "this hobby is predominantly about making costumes for contests in a week" but for one show so far, I am hopeful for this season!

This is really what grinds my gears about the show. I would much rather watch a show where cosplayers all had like 3 months to make a KILLER costume. I am no TV or marketing genius, so I don't know how viewable a show like that would be or how it would be pulled off. I'm just saying that I would rather watch "video documentaries" of people making really awesome costumes with a realistic amount of time.

Yeah, this idea of building thise costumes in a week is a joke if they really expect to win against non cast members who really put a lot of time into their builds. If they are going to do it this way, they need to just have their own competition where all contestants have the exact same time to do a build, and then just judge them for a prize.

I had it on in the background and will watch it after work. One thing I noticed last season and I think I heard it once or twice last night was people talking about making a business out of it. Is there much money to be made? It seems like it is either selling accessories or, I have to say it, selling sexy calendars. Accessories makes sense but seems to be a niche market.

Yaya has definitely made a business out of it and has done an incredible job marketing herself (don't forget that this show was originally intended to be a vehicle specifically for her... it was going to be called "Yaya's World" or something like that) as has Jessica Nigri and a select few others. If you are a dude, you are going to have to a more uphill battle and have to grind it out and produce a lot of props like @Volpin Props or RS Props or a number of other guys who build things.

As you said, it is a niche market and not only that... it is a tough market with a finicky customer base. But there are definitely a few people who are making a living from it. Sadly, there are many more who wish they were or see this is as a launching board into a Stan Winston type position, but that is incredibly rare and takes a tremendous amount of work as well as just being at the right place at the right time. Even for the pros, building props for a living is no pick-nic.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back