The Abyss Submersibles Project

Re: Flatbed Parts!

It's spring cleaning time in my shop and I've benn pulling out old boxes of stuff to sort through and throw out. Mostly old junk that I no longer need or want. And then I come across this, a mostly complete set of original production castings for the 1/8 scale Flatbed model!!! I probably packed these away almost 25 years ago and had completely forgot I still had them. The ironic thing is that the box was on the top shelf, of a back storage closet and I almost didn't pull it down. Now I'm glad I did!

OpenBox_zps2d9d44fa.jpg

CRW_4769_zps8683791c.jpg

CRW_4773_zps687d0beb.jpg

CRW_4771_zpscb201974.jpg

CRW_4778_zps7e643683.jpg

i won't name any names, but i know of at least one person who would write you a blank check to get his hands on a set of parts if you ever made molds from that spring cleaning find. my 1/8 scale Alvin and Delta would be happy to sit on a display shelf beside a 1/8 scale Flatbed.... by the way, at 18" by 18", it would be only a little bigger than the Delta... not large at all by my standards :)

Re: Flatbed Parts!

i won't name any names, but i know of at least one person who would write you a blank check to get his hands on a set of parts if you ever made molds from that spring cleaning find. my 1/8 scale Alvin and Delta would be happy to sit on a display shelf beside a 1/8 scale Flatbed.... by the way, at 18" by 18", it would be only a little bigger than the Delta... not large at all by my standards :)

Studio scale replicas of Cab and Flatbed are not completely out of the question, it's just that many other projects have priority. But you never know...
:love

I wonder what the bottom of the NTI Ark looked like or was it just flat? I seen a lot of the concept art in the collectors edition 2 Disc DVD that I own of the spires of the thing. But dang I really wish that there was a lot more pictures of that thing in the DVD's and such.

I wonder what the bottom of the NTI Ark looked like or was it just flat? I seen a lot of the concept art in the collectors edition 2 Disc DVD that I own of the spires of the thing. But dang I really wish that there was a lot more pictures of that thing in the DVD's and such.

Our shop also built the NTI Ark model, it was about 12 feet in diameter. Just the top, the bottom was never seen, designed or built. I'll look to see if i have any photos of it.

I found some rare behind the scenes footage about the sub models. It contains more info than the DVD special features doc. I thought I'd seen everything Abyss related on the web so I was excited to find something new. Its obviously very old footage so quality is bad, but here it is:

I also found this video of Steve Johnson destroying the abyss NTI props. I wonder if Cameron saw this:

Last edited by a moderator:
I found some rare behind the scenes footage about the sub models. It contains more info than the DVD special features doc. I thought I'd seen everything Abyss related on the web so I was excited to find something new. Its obviously very old footage so quality is bad, but here it is:
The Abyss (1989) - Miniature Props and Behind the Scenes - YouTube

This first clip is from the old tv series "Hollywood Fx Masters" hosted by the late Christopher Reeve. I have a number of them I've transfered to dvd. Ill check to see if I have a better quality version.

My latest ebay grab:
AbbyssJack.jpg

Probably one of the coolest movie crew jackets I've seen. Has cool patches of the seals, submarine, benthic petroleum, and deepcore. If I were on the toughest shoot in film history this jacket would be a badge of honor, wouldn't sell it.

Very cool score, and at a great price too! I still have mine, it is one of the nicest crew jackets I've ever seen. The embroidered logo on the back is spectacular.

I watched The Abyss on TV the other day. It had bonus footage I hadn't seen before: the tidal waves and extended communication of Bud and the crew... it really added to the story. I'm glad they put it in. :)

We used a similar setup a couple of years later for the film Crimson Tide to show the Russian Akula sub going through explosive decompression. For that model we used 6 much larger vacuum bell jars, placed end to end in the 18 foot long model submarine. The hull of that Akula model was made from sheet lead. When the bell jars were shattered by the charges in rapid succession from back to front, they imploded, sucking in the lead hull. Unfortunately the camera angle used in the cut of the film didn't show off the shot the best, but there is a very good behind the scenes bit that does on the DVD extras.

Working as Scuba PA at the Swim Stadium on Crimson Tide was one of my first paid VFX gigs. I have a dive plane from the Akula as my Wet-for-Wet souvenir. Good times.

-John

Most definitely one of my favorite movies of all time. At one point a long time ago, I had a replica ballcap from the Montana; after seeing this, I might have to have another one made.... :)

Now, my understanding is that there was at least one more Montana miniature used for the pre-wreck and sinking sequences. I'm most curious on this, and would love to know what became of it if it did exist.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back