Rocketeer props from 1991 MGM studios

*shrug* It's possible. Unfortunately there wasn't any type of tag giving details on it. Heck, it was so high up on the wall, and in such a dark area I barely noticed it on the way out. And got a significant rolling of the eyes from my wife when I geeked out over it. :)

*shrug* It's possible. Unfortunately there wasn't any type of tag giving details on it. Heck, it was so high up on the wall, and in such a dark area I barely noticed it on the way out. And got a significant rolling of the eyes from my wife when I geeked out over it. :)

haha, you should see peoples faces when they see my room......

the pack is definitely a stunt pack.......i am sure disney kept details of it somewhere.....

amazing pictures! wish i could see this stuff for myself.

where do you live?

They had some great stuff at that back lot tour...
you get a glimpse of them here at 37secs in

YouTube - MGM Studio Tour 1996

index.php

index.php

Those are all still there as of last November. And the restaurant that JayPHX is referring to in the original post is now Pizza Planet across from the Muppets 3d.

Very Cool! I think I noticed that whoever was holding the camera did a bit of a sprint once they saw the helmets on display. :)

-Eric

I worked on the set in Santa Maria on the Rocketeer for two weeks. I got to work side by side with Joe Johnston and Ken Ralston. A friend of mine managed to get two of the foam rocketpacks that were used in the sequence where they launch the pack inside the hanger and it bounces all around. That effect was done by placing a rocketpack on a sort of zip line, shooting it into the opposite wall, tossing the resulting pieces of rocket pack and wall away, re-stringing for the bounce vector and doing it all over again. I'm not sure how many they went through, but my friend Steve and I ended up with the two best looking rocketpacks that were left. Mines missing one nozzle. They were like "stunt" packs hastily built from resin and urethane foam with urethane plastic details. I have it in the attic and its been waiting for me to have "time" to eventually create a nice looking finished piece.

Kinda cool to own a piece of the real thing. That production was a great experience. I've got tons of BTS shots, and lots of great stories about how the pulled off al the effects in and around the airfield.

If there's interest, I'd be happy to get it down and post some pictures of it.

Ryan Johnson
newrulefx.com

Dual Edge,

Really like that concept helmet. Thanks for sharing pics.

It really has the DNA of the original Commando Cody/ Rocket-Man of the Republic serials.

You can see why Dave Stevens objected, the final design is just so much more aerodynamic, much more like someone with an understanding of flight would put together.

I worked on the set in Santa Maria on the Rocketeer for two weeks. I got to work side by side with Joe Johnston and Ken Ralston. A friend of mine managed to get two of the foam rocketpacks that were used in the sequence where they launch the pack inside the hanger and it bounces all around. That effect was done by placing a rocketpack on a sort of zip line, shooting it into the opposite wall, tossing the resulting pieces of rocket pack and wall away, re-stringing for the bounce vector and doing it all over again. I'm not sure how many they went through, but my friend Steve and I ended up with the two best looking rocketpacks that were left. Mines missing one nozzle. They were like "stunt" packs hastily built from resin and urethane foam with urethane plastic details. I have it in the attic and its been waiting for me to have "time" to eventually create a nice looking finished piece.

Kinda cool to own a piece of the real thing. That production was a great experience. I've got tons of BTS shots, and lots of great stories about how the pulled off al the effects in and around the airfield.

Ryan Johnson
newrulefx.com

OLD THREAD REVIVAL! BECAUSE HOW DID NOBODY JUMP ON THIS!!!!!!!

YES! ... Would love to see what you have... if you still have the pack & any behind the scenes pics.

Ryan Johnson
newrulefx.com
Please, please, please, please, PLEASE!!!

And thank you!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Uh, guys... if you check his profile, the last time he was on the board was Feb 26, 2014.

So... probably crickets and tumbleweeds is what you're going to get.

Just sayin'.

Hey gang. I'm still around. Just crazy busy building props for shows, so I don't get much time to hang out on the forum. But I have found some of my pictures from the set, so I do plan to scan all of that and make it available online. Because of this thread, the awesome guys from the Rocketeer Minute Podcast have asked me to be on an upcoming episode so I'll be able to share a few stories from the set!

Until then, here's a picture of the stunt rocket pack that I got. This was one of the screen used props that appears in the hangar sequence. Battle damage and some old partial attempts at rebuilding it as well, ...still visible

Stay Tuned!

-Ryan Johnson
NewRuleFX.com

Rj's RocketPack.JPG

Hey gang. I'm still around. Just crazy busy building props for shows, so I don't get much time to hang out on the forum. But I have found some of my pictures from the set, so I do plan to scan all of that and make it available online. Because of this thread, the awesome guys from the Rocketeer Minute Podcast have asked me to be on an upcoming episode so I'll be able to share a few stories from the set!

Until then, here's a picture of the stunt rocket pack that I got. This was one of the screen used props that appears in the hangar sequence. Battle damage and some old partial attempts at rebuilding it as well, ...still visible

Stay Tuned!

-Ryan Johnson
NewRuleFX.com

View attachment 727469

Hi everyone - this is my first post, but I've been absolutely fascinated by what I've learned on this forum and in this thread in particular! My friend Jim O'Kane and I cohost "The Rocketeer Minute" and we were absolutely thrilled to record an episode with Ryan recently. We had a weird technical issue, so it ended up running a little shorter than we wanted, but we are definitely going to have him back. Big shout out to him for his time and great stories, and also to this forum for enabling us to find him!

Best to all -

Hal Bryan

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back