R.I.P. Robin Williams

I want to bring up something that some may find uncomfortable.

It is assumed Robbin committed suicide however there is another possibility. It could have been a tragic accident. It may have been autoerotic asphyxiation gone horribly wrong or; from I learned, he had heart surgery not to long ago which could have been a factor. We live in a very prudish society that puts a negative light on "unusual" sexual behavior. A suicide may appear more tasteful then the alternative and for those who disagree, I challenge you to watch "Worlds Greatest Dad" and then get back to me...

It is assumed Robbin committed suicide however there is another possibility. It could have been a tragic accident. It may have been autoerotic asphyxiation gone horribly wrong or; from I learned, he had heart surgery not to long ago which could have been a factor. We live in a very prudish society that puts a negative light on "unusual" sexual behavior. A suicide may appear more tasteful then the alternative and for those who disagree, I challenge you to watch "Worlds Greatest Dad" and then get back to me...

If it had been AEA it would have been a bigger news story. It would have gotten out as it has with so many others in the past.

It was a suicide.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

If it had been AEA it would have been a bigger news story. It would have gotten out as it has with so many others in the past.

It was a suicide.

Most likely suicide, from what has been made publically known. He was fully clothed, and there was no sexual paraphernalia at the scene.

I do not manage depression in my medical specialty, but I have had many patients that require medication (and therapy) for the disease. I've seen them in the ER. I've seen them in the office setting. Certainly, every patient is different, and we will never know all of the details about Williams. His diagnosis of early Parkinson's assuredly weighed heavy on him.

BUT...

Most patients with depression (even severe) do not actually attempt suicide. Many have thoughts or considerations of suicide from time to time, but never go that far. As truly talented and unique as Williams was, I resent the fact that so much of the lay press sympathy centers around "at least you are free" memes. Let's get this straight... Williams did not "free" himself from anything. He ended his life, a talented life, because the pressures he was under (economically, socially, medically) overwhelmed him, and in that moment, he believed a lie... that there was no answer for his condition, no therapy, no hope, and that he, and those who loved him, would be better off if he were dead. His disembodied consciousness is not somewhere, floating off in the ether, thinking "wow, at least I don't feel so bad anymore."

Whether under the influence from medication, alcohol, or mental disorder, he ultimately decided to forcefully separate himself from his daughter, his sons, his wife, his extended family, his close friends, and the millions who took great joy in his talent. He saw no way out, when we know that there ARE ways out, ways to manage and help people through their depression, and to potentially be an inspiration to others. I listened to his NPR interview with Terry Gross, from 2006. While he admitted to have times of feeling depressed, he categorically denied the medical diagnosis on more than one occasion. It could be that it was no where near the intensity that is was in his final days. A person is not "thinking straight" when they commit suicide. It may be planned out, or spur of the moment, and the decision may be influenced by countless other factors.

There are certainly members on this forum who have suffered from various forms of depression and anxiety, and have even contemplated (or maybe attempted) ending their life at some point. They can certainly speak more clearly to this than I can. I hope that the public discourse turns towards the diagnosis and treatment of those who suffer with this disease.

A true talent, and a great loss. Tragic, however you look at it.

It was a suicide.

I wondered that as soon as the story broke. The news really assumed everyone else would think that, so you can see in the headlines that broke, the news outlets wrote:
"Robin Williams found with a belt around his neck fully clothed". They wanted to subtly say that he wasn't in "the act" or "naked".

What horrifies me as all these nobodies or washed up folks in hollywood chiming in. I mean the Kardashians probably had to google him before they bothered to put up a post to get their name in the news, then you have Rob Schneider going off on some rant. Instead of making it about Robin and even mental health awareness it's become a three ring freak show. Everyone has to get their 15 minutes even if it means tarnishing his memory. These people aren't any different than the trolls that drove Zelda offline with their asinine and cruel comments.

Gobler, you're right about the fact that someone sees only one way out of their "un-surmountable" problems. But in their state of mind, they sure need professional help to guide them toward another path i.e. the path of recovery. My Father always did the "Pro-Con List". Here's a problem/question/challenge and if someone makes a list of what's good and bad about said problem/question/challenge, one can be quite surprised that there are often more good points than bad ones. Seeing that there's another option makes all the difference!

Again to those who are doubting my post, have you seen Worlds Greatest Dad? If not, go watch it and get back to me.

I wasn't saying anything about that. Just that he wasn't jerking off when he died because that would have gotten out. Guaranteed someone would leak that as it would be worth big $ for a news outlet to get that exclusive. It's different if it isn't someone famous hence the premise of the film you're referencing.

Whatever gets someone off isn't my business, I don't judge. However the case here is pretty clear and anything else is just spreading rumors unnecessarily.

A comedy written by Bobcat Goldthwait does not a prophecy make...

Again to those who are doubting my post, have you seen Worlds Greatest Dad? If not, go watch it and get back to me.
Just watched the trailer (I had never heard of it before) and it looks interesting. I'm not sure what it has to do with his death though, it's a role he played, not an autobiography.

I haven't seen the movie, but I know enough about it to think I understand your point. The obvious question becomes, is it better to be remembered for having taken your own life, which is generally perceived as a deliberate act, or to be remembered for dying accidentally because you were choking yourself while you were "choking" yourself, which is generally perceived as a stupid and foolish act? Neither is particularly appealing to society at large, but I think most people would choose "deliberate" over "stupid and foolish" regardless of the stigma attached to either act.

Which brings us back to the point I believe you were trying to make: Could an aspect or detail of Mr. Williams' death have been covered up or repressed to preserve his public image? Sure, it's possible. But considering the current state of information technology and how easy it would be for anyone who is directly involved in the investigation to "leak" such a detail, until such a thing happens I would be cautious about publicly entertaining the notion further.

I haven't seen the movie, but I know enough about it to think I understand your point. The obvious question becomes, is it better to be remembered for having taken your own life, which is generally perceived as a deliberate act, or to be remembered for dying accidentally because you were choking yourself while you were "choking" yourself, which is generally perceived as a stupid and foolish act? Neither is particularly appealing to society at large, but I think most people would choose "deliberate" over "stupid and foolish" regardless of the stigma attached to either act.

Which brings us back to the point I believe you were trying to make: Could an aspect or detail of Mr. Williams' death have been covered up or repressed to preserve his public image? Sure, it's possible. But considering the current state of information technology and how easy it would be for anyone who is directly involved in the investigation to "leak" such a detail, until such a thing happens I would be cautious about publicly entertaining the notion further.

Thank you for understanding my point. I've known three people who have committed suicide and all three "tried it" at least once before. There were signs but unfortunately the extra help given was not enough to stop another attempt. Granted we do not have numbers on how many successfully take their lives on the first try but on that same note, we don't know what the real number of AEA are labeled as suicide.. Some ARE covered up for the "dignity" of the family. I know this as fact. I have three friends who are LEO's from different departments and all three have had calls on a "suicide" that later turned out to be AEA. Again, the plot of WGD was Robbin finding his son dead from AEA and staging it AS a suicide to protect his image... Just kind of a weird coincidence..

Just kind of a weird coincidence..

Which was our point. It's just a coincidence in this case. I know it exists but as I said, someone this high profile? It would have leaked.

Frankly I wish it had been AEA. I'd prefer a happy albeit kinky existence to one with depression that leads to suicide.

It could have been a non willing suicide. I know there's a Japanese way of relaxing the neck by attaching it to a towel... I know this because I was a big fan of Hideto Matsumoto and he died in the same circumstances. But that night he drank too much after a concert and when he tried to relax his neck, he axphiciated without realising it... So who knows...
But to be fair, with all of the things that were going on, there are more reasons to think that it was more likely to be a suicide...

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back