Vader's MPP shroud (update)

Re: Vader's MPP shroud

Yeah, second from the right has the oval holes and the end cap closest to the MPP.

Although if you find a good 2 cell with oval holes you can cut it and use a 1.5 chrome sink pipe to make it longer as long as the cuts are exactly where the clamp goes to hide the cut seams.
Good info! You mean like a literal pipe for a sink? Like I could find at Home Depot, or something else?

Yeah, second from the right has the oval holes and the end cap closest to the MPP.

Although if you find a good 2 cell with oval holes you can cut it and use a 1.5 chrome sink pipe to make it longer as long as the cuts are exactly where the clamp goes to hide the cut seams.

I never would have thought of doing that at all. How long is a 2 cell compared to the 3 though? I feel like you would have to extend it a bit farther than the edges of the clamp.

Finally got my shroud from Roy along with some wires that MCM so graciously sent me and I took some pics! Very excited to have this Parks build basically done. I'll be replacing the rubber grips and putting the circuit board under the bubble strip soon but for now, here it is.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• mpp1.JPG
    mpp1.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 566
  • mpp2.JPG
    mpp2.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 529
  • mpp3.JPG
    mpp3.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 571

I never would have thought of doing that at all. How long is a 2 cell compared to the 3 though? I feel like you would have to extend it a bit farther than the edges of the clamp.

I don't have the measurements handy, it will be a little shorter but if the piece you cut is as big as the clamp it's not much shorter than an MPP.

Finally got my shroud from Roy along with some wires that MCM so graciously sent me and I took some pics! Very excited to have this Parks build basically done. I'll be replacing the rubber grips and putting the circuit board under the bubble strip soon but for now, here it is.

http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=537241&stc=1

http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=537240&stc=1
http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=537239&stc=1
Really looks great and the wires add to the look.
But now I've to ask out of curiousness. Are there wires on the ANH Vader or only on the ESB saber.
There aren't really any reference pictures out of the films.

Really looks great and the wires add to the look.
But now I've to ask out of curiousness. Are there wires on the ANH Vader or only on the ESB saber.
There aren't really any reference pictures out of the films.
Afaik (and I'm far from an expert!)

ANH: 7 T-tracks (short), no wires, clamp lever.
ESB: 6 T-Tracks (longer, and riveted at the base), wires, no lever.

Could be I'm wrong though.

Afaik (and I'm far from an expert!)

ANH: 7 T-tracks (short), no wires, clamp lever.
ESB: 6 T-Tracks (longer, and riveted at the base), wires, no lever.

Could be I'm wrong though.
So far what I thought too.
Only I think - no rivets at the base but screws at the top :D

Hi Roy,

Pease take care about it:
-your "B" hole is wrong, too small, the museum saber has a large type "B" hole, even the narrow type existed, it was not used on Vader sabers.
the correct dimensions are 14mm long and 8mm large.
Most of the times the contactors and holes are off-aligned, because the retention bolts are not well placed and the entire bulb holder is to deeply placed in the flash tube.
please notify the real stuff has machine engraved B E ans S holes, probably made with a pantograph machine and a small mill, the numbered versions have similary engraved numbers.

Then, the second main problem is your clamp design, wrong taper on activation box.
The tapering starts on very bottom, and ends on very top, where the bubble goes.
The top lenght is about 4cm and bottom lenght is 4,4cm wothout the plastic sleeve, making a 2mm x 13mm triangle for the slope.

blueprint-DV-ESB.jpg

Hi Roy,

Pease take care about it:
-your "B" hole is wrong, too small, the museum saber has a large type "B" hole, even the narrow type existed, it was not used on Vader sabers.
the correct dimensions are 14mm long and 8mm large.
Most of the times the contactors and holes are off-aligned, because the retention bolts are not well placed and the entire bulb holder is to deeply placed in the flash tube.
please notify the real stuff has machine engraved B E ans S holes, probably made with a pantograph machine and a small mill, the numbered versions have similary engraved numbers.

Then, the second main problem is your clamp design, wrong taper on activation box.
The tapering starts on very bottom, and ends on very top, where the bubble goes.
The top lenght is about 4cm and bottom lenght is 4,4cm wothout the plastic sleeve, making a 2mm x 13mm triangle for the slope.

Hey Patrice,

There's NOTHING WRONG WITH MY HOLE!! ;) LOL!

Ok, thanks, makes sense. I checked the Hollywood museum images and the hole is wider and longer indeed.
IMG_0922.JPG
I wasn't aware of this difference. Hard to modify in a Heiland if you want to be accurate.

And about the taper on the clamp: does this mean that the MPP clamp replica from TCSS is incorrect?
How about the clamp bars? I guess they are angled as well then, unline the TCSS replica?

There is actually no existing accurate replica, reason why I told you about pttin one on the market, however the TCSS one is very good.
The lever is near identical to real, the clamp is made from aluminum, and black anodised, just the activator box is a bit large and the slopes are incorrect.

When you check the best views of the hollywood saber it's quite difficult, but you can also see the B hole is off centered to the two pins center.
The narrow B holes are REALLY narrow, no way to mistake, I get both versions in the past...

About the clamp bars, there were several versions:
-tapered from about 4cm to about 4,4cm, quite rectangular profile, black anodised (have one pair)
-straight, one side rough from extrusion, other side machined, with aluminum color, I think this is the ANH version (I had this version but the aluminum was inside, they may have scitched them and aluminum outside)
-probably tapered with different colors on inner and outer side (never seen but it probably exists)
-probably tapered and straight with full aluminum color (chaims has one, after quick photo view I suspect it to be real, but can also be a TCSS replica, not sure, but it's reasonnable to think it can exist)
-probably straight, with rectangular profile and black or aluminum color.

the machined ones are rough from extrusion on other side, and have rounded profile, except the machined area.

Last edited:

Right the B is also off centered, a bit to the left, mine has same detail.

The mpp tubes are made from brass, not steel or so.
If I remember correctly, graflex tubes are also made from brass.
The color in the letters is not always present I had several tubes, and if I remember correctly, only one had colors in the letters as only one had the serial number.
There are two different kind of bolts to fix the black box, flat or round, as there are several lever ring thickness variations, from simple to double (the round one for bulb releasing).
The bottom black ring are different, from plain, to "3 circles", the right one has circles.
The bulb holder has variations, under the spring, there is-are some ring(s) made from brass or aluminum, but the most visible change is the entry, can be sharp or rounded.
Unlike the body, that is chrome plated, this ring is nickel plated.
The clamp lever chrome plating can look very glossy but sometimes glazed, depending on the surface condition under it, but most of them are glossy.
If you take lots of care on the hollywood museum saber, you can see the shroud is very thick, like the actual parks replicas, I have never seen this kind of shroud, I saw two different kind of shrouds, stepped, and straight, but each straight I have see was thin walled version, not thick walled.
The stepped I had was thick walled, so it can be possible a straight thick walled shroud to exist, as parks replica.
For the moment, the most accurate existing shroud is the parks replica, because of its thickness, however you have to know the thread section is different to real deal, so no way to swap the shroud and keep original bolt.
The bolt used on prop is not a MPP bolt, this model doesn't exist, the riginal ones are made from steel, not brass and the knurling is not pyrami shaped, but straight, as parks replicas.

The hollywood saber MPP flash is a:

-rounded bulb holder version, nickel plated.
-flat bolts on button section thick lever version
-thick walled straight version shroud (never seen in real)
-tapered bars clamp
-3 circles on black bottom ring
-large B hole version

Here are additionnal informations:

blueprint-DV-ESB.jpg

In fact the "B " hole has off axis plugs and other holes also have off axis contactors, about half a millimeter on the bottom direction.
I really like the grips position angles!

Question about this shroud: Is this shroud also the same dimensions for the AOTC Anakin saber? I was thinking about picking up two, one unfinished and one with the black finish so that I can do a Vader and a AOTC saber.

I don't have the measurements handy, it will be a little shorter but if the piece you cut is as big as the clamp it's not much shorter than an MPP.

No, no... from somewhere under the clamp all the way down to the endcap would be chrome drain tubing. Just epoxy the endcap on the end of it. In other words, don't use pipe just to patch in an extension in the middle, replace the entire lower end. I've done it several times, it works great. (You have to put something inside for support, of course)

Since I can't seem to find very sufficient info on it, what are the differences between AOTC Anakin and the Vader MPP shroud? From eye balling some pictures, the AOTC looks maybe a bit longer, but that's about all I can really catch as far as differences.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back