Pee-Wee's Big Adventure Clown

I'm just glad shoes are the subject!

P.S.,
Any updates on the hats PWF?, I've got the Santa hat for a pattern, but you mentioned you were having some made, so I figured I'd wait and get 'em from you, if you had any spares.

Awesome!, I just about have everything lined up to put these back together, I just got my costumes back from the tailor, I got my torso fixed and I have to paint the faces and I'm waiting on the wigs, then I'll be done!

Last edited:
I'll post some photos later of the original shoes compared to the later shoes. Not sure how the hat is attached .. it doesn't budge at all (not even enough to peek under it). I hate to disassemble this clown, but I am dying to know what his innards look like. I think it might have the white plastic torso after all, you can barely see it under the foam at the neckline.

billy - What kind of wig did you get? I was looking at 3" shag craft fabric the other day thinking that might work (color would have to be dyed, nothing I found was just the right yellow-orange color of the movie clown).

I wish I knew what kind of fabric was on this clown. Reminds me of life protector material, although it's got a ribbed texture. Not as thick as the newer clowns, but stiff enough to hold its shape anyway.

BTW - I updated the first post of this thread to have links to the posts with Blu-ray screen captures and the Custom Displays info/articles. I find myself looking back at those frequently (esp. the screen captures), so it's a handy shortcut.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444343684.442121.jpg

billy - What kind of wig did you get? I was looking at 3" shag craft fabric the other day thinking that might work (color would have to be dyed, nothing I found was just the right yellow-orange color of the movie clown).

I'm still fishin' around, but, we've tried fun fur and a few other wigs but can't quite nail it down, I found some orange anime cosplay wigs on Ebay that are layered and kinda spikey styled already that look close, I'll try to tweek them a little but , I've just about given up trying to match the screen clown because you don't know where Malcolm sourced the original hair and there is time and weathering conditions to consider, plus, I'm sure the make up people doctored it up too.

Here are some closeup shoe photos ..

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444367649.739143.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444367657.087690.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444367664.745264.jpg

The hair on this clown appears to be about 3" long. Feels like it's been hair sprayed, who knows if that's age/grime or maybe how they originally spiked up the hair.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444367807.242335.jpg

Here are some close ups of the face paint for reference ..

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444368014.197757.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444368023.134925.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444368032.755405.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444368040.156209.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1444368047.694010.jpg

On a side note, the face paint must be stenciled or silk screened as the article mentioned. The lines are razor sharp and nothing looks hand painted. The placement and everything pretty much matches the movie clown exactly (including little nuances, like the right eye being slightly higher, and the outline thickness varying)

Screen shot 2015-10-09 at 3.39.34 AM.png

Screen shot 2015-10-09 at 3.41.05 AM.png

Last edited:
Those shoes are quite different from the others - they even have the actual lace loops. I just find it so odd that different variations exist.

DB, the shape of the white area above the eyebrows on your latest clown looks a little different. Does it not go to a point like the older versions of the clown? It looks more rounded.

It is rounded just like all the other older style clowns I've seen (movie clown has the same curvature, even though his hair covers up the top; Oddities and arcade clown from the first page are rounded too). The only ones I've seen with the pointier outline are the newer (sloppier) models.

Edit - On a side note, if you look at the old Custom Displays articles/photos, most of the faces have the same rounded outline above the eyes. But there is one photo with heads in the background that have the pointier outline (also the clown shown with the little girl hugging it). These same heads also don't have the cheek circles and the noses look shinier .. so they look more like the 'newer' style faces. I guess the transition must have happened around that time (I was assuming it happened later, possibly after being sold to the other company).

Last edited:
I made my mind up to make mine round from the beginning, it's classic clown style, even if the hair does cover it up.

P.S., the outline IS Black on your clown DB?, is it not?, though I kinda like the Idea of making it dark green, seems more colorful and clownier to me.

Last edited:
Nope, mine is dark green also. I was noticing that in the A/B comparison shots above, it looks black-ish like the movie clown. You can't really tell it's dark green until you get up close (or take a photo with the flash on).

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back