New Vader ANH helmet

Guys, if you've followed my work, it's not about molds or this or that but capturing the essence and character beyond just a generic resemblance of Vader.

The paint job of this project is an essential and integral part of the artistic process because I wanted a much higher degree of accuracy than Darth Ugly. Whereas Darth Ugly gave me a chance to optimize a dome and faceplate to create an artistic whole (which is why I asked bookface not to part them out), in this case, this is a higher end project where - in addition to the sculpt - planning out the paint job required considerable discussion and testing because I wanted to take my art to the next level. And thus, I've asked bookface to only sell these painted - the sculpt and the paint are one artistic vision.

Darth Ugly, on the other hand, is available from bookface as an unpainted kit.

Thanks for the explanation...I was wondering how this latest project fit against Darth Ugly.

Will the new helmet weight about the same as Darth Ugly?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, Niob!

All I can say is that this is a premium helmet, as opposed to Darth Ugly which is an entry level helmet. I'll defer to bookface to address pricing, as this is now his product and I'm not part of the financial picture.

My Darth Ugly is "entry level"??:cry.....but I love it.

By default, bookface's work is very light and strong. He showed me a picture of him standing on a Darth Ugly dome, and it didn't even crack. I don't see why there would be any difference in weight.

Thanks for the explanation...I was wondering how this latest project fit against Darth Ugly.

Will the new helmet weight about the same as Darth Ugly?

- - - Updated - - -

No reason to be unhappy mate :) Its entry level compared to a helmet like this but still one of the best fan made helmet projects you can get these days. So you have all good reasons to love your DU helmet. But you have also good reasons to buy this helmet also LoL

Weight of the new helmet fully painted and ready to display (not kitted out for trooping though) is 1.4kg / 3lbs. Pretty much exactly the same as Ugly, if I remember rightly.

I'm also preparing a writeup on the origins of this helmet for the upcoming Classifieds post for bookface to post. There have been some good guesses and speculation so far. The helmet's humble origins have already been fully documented on The Prop Den and here on RPF, but for those of you who guess right, please don't spoil it for others! :angel

I'm glad you said you loved it! I initially sculpted it as an entry level model because of the limitations of that platform and the degree of accuracy that physical structure could adopt. Bookface really did wonders with it even with a basic paint job. Scottjua's photos floored me. And others photographing their helmets in their back yards and kitchens also blew me away. Then seeing it in a Lucasfilm photograph and the "May the Horse Be With You" Lucasfilm television commercial was the cherry on top.

But indeed, there is a whole level of appearance, accuracy and character beyond Darth Ugly that I've wanted to see, and I'm glad to have met bookface who shares a similar passion for props and helped make this vision come true.

As much as I'm drooling over this, I'm going to have to stick with my ANH Ugly. It's awesome. I can only imagine how much more awesome this new helmet is going to bring.

With that being said, I want to put in another voucher for Bookface's painting skills. I love to paint stuff myself, but my wife was getting ready to deliver our first child at the time of the Ugly run, so I reluctantly opted for a painted helmet. Boy, am I glad I did--there's no way I could have done justice to the Ugly the way Bookface did. I'm sure the new helmet is going to just ratchet up the awesome.

Fantastic sculpt and boy, what a paintjob!!!

It really captures the essence of ANH Vader...

The only thing that slightly bugs me, is i can't help but feel the point of the widows peak/y crease is slightly too low..
.it's level with the bottom of the first slot and i just feel it would look better level with the top of the first slot....

other than that nit-pick, it's a helmet i'd be proud to own!

Rich DarthVader-HDANH1.jpg

Thanks guys! There's been a lot of effort put into trying to get this right, so your comments have really put a smile on my face. And toothboy, I'm really glad you like this helmet, but even happier that you still love your Ugly!

In terms of the dome positioning, it's a tough one. Lighting plays a big part in trying to get the right look, and in trying to get the right amount of shadow on the eyebrows, I may have gone a little low on the widows peak. Part of it is also personal preference, and given the price point, it's something I'd be willing to work with individual buyers on (to a point! If you want it set way high like in some of his TIE fighter scenes, then I'ma say no…)

That's great to know, and please, believe me i wasn't criticizing....

Your last comment about the tie fighter scene had me in stitches!

By the way, the close ups of the face are absolutely on the money....just fantastic work!!!!

Rich

I hear people's concerns with the pointedness of the widow's peak and it can be taken care of. It wasn't meant to be that way by design. But it's a very easy fix.

Here's what happened. When the master arrived in the UK, I had asked Paul to help refine the dome for me, and in that process the "U" of the widow's peak inadvertently became a bit more "V", but we were having so much fun with how great the dome looked that we overlooked this! (Furthermore, I was developing more than one dome in parallel so I struggled with remembering if I had sculpted it that way or not. I thought it was old age.)

It's actually a really simple fix. We are still in a tweaking process, and the final-final will be posted in the Junkyard.

I hear people's concerns with the pointedness of the widow's peak and you'll see that addressed in the final take. It wasn't meant to be that way by design. But it's a very easy fix.

Here's what happened. When the master arrived in the UK, I had asked Paul to help refine the dome for me as my sculpts can be a bit rough, and in that process the "U" of the widow's peak inadvertently became a bit more "V", but we were having so much fun with how great the dome looked that we overlooked this! (Furthermore, I was developing more than one dome in parallel at the time so I struggled with remembering if I had sculpted it that way or not. I thought it was old age on my part...)

The point sharpness is actually a really simple fix. The crease is something I'd like to keep sharp. I've always felt the screen used had more detail than recent products have shown, but consider it one of my sculpted trademarks as a Vader enthusiast and that makes this helmet unique.

We are still in a tweaking process, and the final-final will be posted in the Junkyard. We're getting there! :cheers

Can you discuss/disclose the lineage of this helmet?

I'm guessing this is CSM's reworked Rubies face with a reworked DU dome. He does outstanding work so no matter the base helmet the results are stellar. If you're wondering if this helmet has ties to a TM, DJ, VM, SL or RB I doubt it.

I'm guessing this is CSM's reworked Rubies face with a reworked DU dome. He does outstanding work so no matter the base helmet the results are stellar. If you're wondering if this helmet has ties to a TM, DJ, VM, SL or RB I doubt it.

Good to see a guess but sorry, no cigar! Not a Rubies at all, and the dome has nothing to do with Darth Ugly. But your latter statement is accurate.

And the middle statement is very kind!

P.S. The Rubies is the product of an active licensee, and for that reason I do not feel it is proper to offer anything based on that. That Rubies you may have seen me work on is a personal one-off project. :)

Last edited:
Can you discuss/disclose the lineage of this helmet?

I've just finished a write up on its origins and sent it to bookface. It'll be up on the junkyard For Sale thread then.

In the meantime, I thought I'd give people a chance to guess what it is, so long as they don't spoil it for everyone else! But I might talk about it if bookface is going to need more time before he can post it in the junkyard.

I'm waiting to get more up to date photos from bookface, and so I'll post the photo along with the origins next week.

In the meantime, if you're climbing the walls trying to figure out what this is, I'll give you a hint: it has something to do with a face transplant!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back