Phaser 1 Kit Buildup plus MM P2 Restoration

Re: John Long Phaser 1 Kit Buildup plus MM P2 Restoration

That Hyde phaser is interesting. We've seen a fair number of good to great runs of the hero, and I remember somebody on the ASAP boards doing a really nice run of the Crapaziod vacuformed stunts forever ago, but I don't know that I've ever seen anyone take a really good run at the midgrades. I find that odd, since we really see more of the mids than any of the other versions of the P2 over the course of TOS.

That Hyde phaser is interesting. We've seen a fair number of good to great runs of the hero, and I remember somebody on the ASAP boards doing a really nice run of the Crapaziod vacuformed stunts forever ago, but I don't know that I've ever seen anyone take a really good run at the midgrades. I find that odd, since we really see more of the mids than any of the other versions of the P2 over the course of TOS.
I went to a convention with John in Pasadena about nine years ago, I believe to promote his phaser kit. Anyway, he brought his crapazoid and showed it to Eddie Pasky, who played Lt. Leslie on the show. Eddie held it and said, "Yeah, that's it." John pointed out that Eddie probably had the crapazoid more than anyone else on the show, and Eddie replied, "Except Bill."

I'm eventually going to scratch-build both of those, but that's down the road a piece. After this phaser is done, I'm putting TOS to bed for a little while and moving to another show entirely, a studio scale model from an old 70s favorite. ;)

UPDATE: 12/18/14:
I made some tiny fixes. Minor layout alignment issue that was bugging me, I added a copyright notice, plus I found a very small error in the Greg Jein Scale size. The links below now take you to v. 1.1.
Hey everybody!

I'm working at home till Friday 12/19, my next trip to the shop. Apart from sending out resumes and cleaning house, I've been busy in Photoshop and Illustrator. I wanted a P1 meter graphic to match the GJ phaser, which involved font customization, which got really hairy...

very-hairy-guy1.jpg
Not kidding.

So I decided, well, while I'm at this, why not do both the GJ and the TMOST/Finney graphic? And while I'm at it, why not the Tech Manual version too? And then I kinda got carried away...

So now, eight hours later, I've produced a freely downloadable PDF file with all the P1 dials I had measurements for, in GJ, TMOST/Finney, and Tech Manual versions:

• The GJ
  • The John Long
  • The Wand Co.
  • The Masterpiece Models
I did the GJ and Finney versions three ways: a white rectangle with a black border; a white strip with black bars on either side, and naked (that means just the numbers, you damn bunch o' pervs :p ). The Tech Manual versions I did with the meter dial border and without, which is slightly bigger to fill the dial area as much as possible.

All told, it's 32 different P1 meters.

The PDF file prints right out at 1:1 scale on any printer, and is optimized to use as little ink or toner as possible.

At the bottom, I reproduced the font I customized for the accurate original meters as well as the Microgramma clone I used for the Tech Manual versions. You can take that into Photoshop and mess with it if you're so inclined and have the skills, the time, and are a glutton for punishment.

GraterTP.jpg
Or you can save yourself a lot of time
and energy and just use this.

Here's a preview of the file (not actual size):

PhaserMeterDial_v1.1.jpg

And here's the link to download it from the RPF:

View attachment PhaserMeterDial_v1.1.pdf

Or my Google Drive:

PhaserMeterDial_v1.1.pdf

The attached/linked PDF document, PhaserMeterDial_v1.1.pdf, © 2014 A. Sanchez-Arango, is distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License. You can download, print, and share this document to your heart's content, as long as you attribute the work to me (shouldn't be an issue if you just share the file, since my name is on it).

GraterTP.jpg

very-hairy-guy1.jpg

PhaserMeterDial_v1.1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

As if this thread couldn't get any more amazing...

So, what's your address asalaw? I say we all get together and send you a case of Saurian Brandy and a couple of Orion Women.

Wow super cool, and thanks for making available the P1 dial graphics! Perfect!

As if this thread couldn't get any more amazing...

So, what's your address asalaw? I say we all get together and send you a case of Saurian Brandy and a couple of Orion Women.
Just a couple?

Wow super cool, and thanks for making available the P1 dial graphics! Perfect!
You're welcome.

Thanks, guys, for the kind words! There are plenty of other things I want to create and make open-source, I just have to find the time and the opportunities. :)

Note: Please see the update above. The document is now v. 1.1 for minor fixes. I've taken down v. 1.0, so the old links won't work. Please use v. 1.1.

Last edited:

Hi everbody!

Just dropping in to wish everyone a HappMerry Christhallowthankskwanzukkah!!!!

I've still been poking away at the build during the break, and new posts are coming very soon. I've also started on my Wand replacement handle, so look for updates to that thread soon as well.

Enjoy your Christmas Day (if you celebrate it), and have a meme. :)

WeeFishEweAmareEgretsMoose.jpg

WeeFishEweAmareEgretsMoose.jpg

I went to a convention with John in Pasadena about nine years ago, I believe to promote his phaser kit. Anyway, he brought his crapazoid and showed it to Eddie Pasky, who played Lt. Leslie on the show. Eddie held it and said, "Yeah, that's it." John pointed out that Eddie probably had the crapazoid more than anyone else on the show, and Eddie replied, "Except Bill."

I'm eventually going to scratch-build both of those, but that's down the road a piece. After this phaser is done, I'm putting TOS to bed for a little while and moving to another show entirely, a studio scale model from an old 70s favorite. ;)

70's show? What is it? I have a fond spot for the old "The Invaders" Studio Model Saucer.

Okay, I'll spill, but I don't want to derail this thread, so please let's not turn this into a self-highjack. :)

70's show? What is it? I have a fond spot for the old "The Invaders" Studio Model Saucer.
The Invaders was the 60s. I just watched part of the pilot the other day, in fact. I'm writing trivia questions for an upcoming trivia app for the Museum of Science Fiction. I actually love that saucer too, I had to sneak the show when I was little because my parents wouldn't let me watch it. So it's one of those fun sneaking-around memories for me, like Ultraman and The Night Stalker. :)

But...

BZZZZZZZZT!!!!

Wrong answer, but you did win the $5 gift card to Peppy's House of Spatulas. Thank you for playing.

Battlestar Galactica ??

BZZZZZZZZT!!!!

And that's a $5 gift card for you! Thank you for playing, and enjoy your new spatula.

jeopardyx-large.jpg
And that stumps our human players AND the computer!
Cuz it's only 2014 and AI still sucks wrinkly old guy balls.

I was just going to wait till I was ready to start the build thread for this, but that's a long time from now, and now that there are actual questions being asked by actual people, I think that would be kinda mean. To be frank, until just last week or so, I wasn't 100% sure about my choice, but that's changed.

So, a little earlier than I planned to spill it, here's my next scratch-build:

The original, first-season, 44" Eagle 1!

Screenshot 2014-11-26 01.10.15.png
Commander Koenig to launch platform, Alan Carter
is waiting to fly you to Moonbase Beta, where nothing
STILL fµçking works. Dr. Russell to proctology, there's
an a§§høle waiting...

And I mean scratch. All the metal, all the materials, except certain kit parts and Plastruct doodads will be 3D-printed for economy. It's entirely possible to drop over $1,000 on such a build if you don't economize on materials, and oddly enough, twice that if you buy resin parts (because the Rogue Studio parts are the best castings I've ever seen). I'd like to come in under that.

It has everything I want from a project: the immense cool factor, the huge challenge, the intense research and learning curve I need to avoid withdrawal symptoms, the big-time upping of my general game as a prop and model builder, and of course, scratching an itch I've had since 1974.

Now I'd like to return to phaser talk. If there are a lot of questions or just a lot of interest at this VERY early planning stage, I'd be willing to start a new thread over in Studio Scale Models (though there are lots of people around with scratch Eagles under their belts, and they're better qualified to answer you). Please bear in mind that while I've worked out my general approach, I don't have any specifics yet, so any answers I give now will be very general in nature.

Okay, back to

IMG_2041.jpg

jeopardyx-large.jpg

Screenshot 2014-11-26 01.10.15.png

IMG_2041.jpg

This is a thread full of win. I'm Looking forward to the Eagle, too!

Last edited:

Well, the holidays are over (except for those of us who celebrate Jan. 6), so it'll be back to regular updates. There's been progress over the break, just not on the phaser build.

However, there's been a breakthrough: I've solved the one big thing that's been driving me nuts, which was figuring out an alternative phaser 1 catch/release mechanism (because I'm sworn to secrecy about the real one). I've come up with a design that will do the same job, be simple to make, but operate on a totally different principle from the original or from anything else you've ever seen. I'm designing it now, and that's going to take a little time, because I'm also teaching myself Blender (though I've been doing 3D modeling since the 90s).

The reason it had to be completely different from anything done before is so nobody would squeal when I put it up on Thingiverse as a free download. But this design is all mine, baby, so it'll be yours too. :)

cat-toilet.jpg
I just thought it was time for a picture of a cat pooping.

And when that's done, my next freebee will be a 3D-printable die so you can diamond-emboss your own aluminum plate in a bench vise.

Meanwhile, I'm moving like a bandit on the Wand handles (update coming very soon in the Limited Run thread), and this weekend I'm back in the shop for some serious quality time with my phaser build.

It's been looking so rejected lately while I focused on other things... I hope it's not jealous...

2014-12-29 17.43.57.jpg
No hate me because I so sexy...

Sorry for not posting, everybody, but I'm sick as a dog. I was in the shop yesterday and made very nice progress on the Wand handles, but with 7 hours left in my day, this bug hit me like a ton of bricks which themselves were each carrying a ton of bricks, and I just got on my phone and whined for the wife taxi. So I didn't get to my P2 build. I hope to be better soon; I've had this same infection 4 times in '14 and it runs about a week if I take antibiotics.

good news is, I've exposed myself to abuse and suffered so you don't have to, and as a result, I'm in a position to warn you: for the love of all that's holy, don't watch Ascension. I don't begrudge the $8 on iTunes so much as the 3 hours I'll never get back.

I'll return next week with pictures and my unique blend of patented ***kups and unnecessarily wasteful (not to mention environmentally damaging) techniques, assuming whatever straptocockus nazi is currently breeding in my throat doesn't evolve sentience paired with an evil agenda. Cuz that would suck.

Last edited:

Sorry for not posting, everybody, but I'm sick as a dog. I was in the shop yesterday and made very nice progress on the Wand handles, but with 7 hours left in my day, this bug hit me like a ton of bricks which themselves were each carrying a ton of bricks, and I just got on my phone and whined for the wife taxi. So I didn't get to my P2 build. I hope to be better soon; I've had this same infection 4 times in '14 and it runs about a week if I take antibiotics.

good news is, I've exposed myself to abuse and suffered so you don't have to, and as a result, I'm in a position to warn you: for the love of all that's holy, don't watch Ascension. I don't begrudge the $8 on iTunes so much as the 3 hours I'll never get back.

I'll return next week with pictures and my unique blend of patented ***kups and unnecessarily wasteful (not to mention environmentally damaging) techniques, assuming whatever straptocockus nazi currently breeding in my throat doesn't evolve sentience paired with an evil agenda. Cuz that would suck.

Hope you feel better soon asalaw. and to late. I watched Ascension. at the end I wanted to throw the tv across the room..

Hope you feel better soon asalaw. and to late. I watched Ascension. at the end I wanted to throw the tv across the room..
Thanks, sean. Woke up feeling much better this morning, though still congested, and I'm going into the shop today to work on the P2 almost exclusively. As I said ages ago (it seems), I'll be working on the bottom screw/nut thing in the front, the rear fins, and hopefully the top clip, though I still have to install the plastic window frame that the clip slides onto, so I'm not 100% sure I'll get that far.

But even if it's just the fins and the screw today, I'll have a closed phaser and a solid post that you can look for this weekend. :)

Looking forward to the post asalaw. and please use as much detailed Info as possible. not afraid to say I'm a little lost when It comes to phaser's and all the little variances.

Looking forward to the post asalaw. and please use as much detailed Info as possible. not afraid to say I'm a little lost when It comes to phaser's and all the little variances.
As always. ;)

Got a lot done on the fins yesterday, going back in today to get them finished and assembled. Much of the work yesterday was making the stencils and jigs, but I did get the fins cut out and a little grinding done. Here's your teaser:

2015-01-09 22.24.29.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back