Which series would you recommend?

dascoyne

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I have been meaning to fill some major holes in my cultural literacy - namely series that I never watched but have been too busy to attempt to begin.

If I found the time for some binge watching
which series would you recommend first?

Game of Thrones
Battlestar Galactica
Buffy the Vampire Slayer

I have been meaning to fill some major holes in my cultural literacy - namely series that I never watched but have been too busy to attempt to begin.

Game of Thrones
Battlestar Galactica
Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Not Game of Thrones

Don't get me wrong. It's fantastic, but it's not completed yet, so you'll be left hankering for more.

Save it for last.

Game of Thrones
Battlestar Galactica
Buffy the Vampire Slayer

It kind of depends on what you're looking for. Having watched all three, I'll offer my opinions.

Buffy

In my opinion, Buffy is a terrific show that does have some weaknesses. For what it is, it's exceptionally well done. And what that is is an examination of many of the common horror movie and teenage drama tropes, filtered through the lens of the fantastical and made "bigger" in many respects. It's got some snappy dialogue and fun characters. In its time (the late 90s/early 00s), it was revolutionary, especially for network TV. Nobody killed main characters or put them through misery like this. There were almost never lasting consequences to the events of an episode, especially in the scifi/fantasy genre. Stargate SG-1, for example, had SOME lasting consequences, but most of the time people who left the show didn't do so in a body bag, and did so because they wanted to do other gigs like movies or whatever. Even then, they could end up coming back full-time. Not really the case with Buffy. Happy couples break up in painful ways. Main characters that you honestly like die or leave the show in a painful manner. That's very much Joss' thing: he believes that good drama can only be found in the constant cycle of happiness leading to misery leading to happiness. Things don't stay static, mostly. Characters evolve, often through pain and loss and sacrifice.

The thing is, what was revolutionary in 1999 is old hat in 2014. And the show is rife with a very "90s" vibe to it. I think it still holds up, but the first season...will be difficult to get through. That one was very "monster of the week," and emphasized much more of the "90s kids!" thing. That does change over time, though. Also, it being set in high school, the characters...behave like high school kids in many ways. Buffy, for example, has AWFUL taste in men, and almost always ends up going for some dark, broody, self-destructive dude or whathaveyou.

All that said, it's a very, very well done show and one that I still find enjoyable. My girlfriend and I were rewatching it recently, although we got stalled in the start of Season 5, because we were also watching Angel at the same time, and (A) it ended up taking longer to get plot points moving, and (B) we just got kind of out of the mood after four straight seasons. In my opinion, the best era of the show was Seasons 2-3. Season 1 was an ok setup with a finale that made me sit up and take the show seriously after what had otherwise been a kind of middling season. Season 4 was entertaining, but kind of out of character for the show. Season 5 is a fantastic end (and was originally the end of the show), but some of the new characters annoy me. Season 6 was dark and depressing, and Season 7 just kinda wrapped things up in a reasonably satisfying way. (There's also several continuation comics that do a Season 8 and 9, FYI).

I'd recommend it, but I wouldn't do so unreservedly. Contrary to what you may have heard, Buffy isn't for everyone, even if it's something that's really, really good.

Galactica

In my opinion, Galactica started off really well, and then went off the rails because Ron Moore had no real plan. The show is (from what I heard) kind of like LOST in that respect. Strong start, lots of questions raised, and the answers (when they do finally come) aren't all that satisfying. Also, he made a lot of it up as he went. He admits this in the DVD commentary. Some of it was organic, but some of it was more like "Wouldn't it be interesting if we did...this...and then saw where it all went?" Often in disruptive and (in my opinion) counter-productive ways.

That said, I only watched it once, and I watched it live. People who've binged it have, from what I hear, enjoyed it somewhat more. Although other friends of mine tried binge watching it and thought it was pretty lamely wrapped up. I agree with that, by the way. The ending is not clean. It's emotionally satisfying (mostly) but is sloppily plotted. It has great heart, but it's kind of a mess. Also, the answers to the big mysteries are totally unsatisfying. I suspect if you binge-watch, it'll be more obvious, but it still seemed like a cop-out to me.

Game of Thrones

This show is AWESOME. It's also probably easier to get through than the other two, in that the seasons are only 10 episodes long. They're solid hours (rather than 45 min shows), but the seasons are still fairly short. Also, the first season is kind of slow moving if you don't like intrigue. If you're expecting great big battle sequences...yeah, you won't get that at all until Season 2, and even then, it'll be smaller than you might expect. You don't get truly HUGE battle sequences until later.

All that aside, it has some amazing characters and acting, it's really moving, and the plots are delightful. So far. The show isn't finished yet, though. Also, if you've read the books, the later seasons feature some...changes...some of which have proven kind of controversial.

Hope that helps!

Have you read Game of Thrones? If not I'd say do that. It probably wont take much longer that binge watching the series.

That aside I'd say BSG>GoT> Buffy but I haven't watched more than a few episodes of Buffy so what do I know.

Not on your list and I don't know if you have seen it or not, but if not you really ought to check out Spartacus: Blood and Sand. IMHO it is hands-down the greatest series ever to grace the small screen.

It kind of depends on what you're looking for. Having watched all three, I'll offer my opinions.

Buffy

In my opinion, Buffy is a terrific show that does have some weaknesses. For what it is, it's exceptionally well done. And what that is is an examination of many of the common horror movie and teenage drama tropes, filtered through the lens of the fantastical and made "bigger" in many respects. It's got some snappy dialogue and fun characters. In its time (the late 90s/early 00s), it was revolutionary, especially for network TV. Nobody killed main characters or put them through misery like this. There were almost never lasting consequences to the events of an episode, especially in the scifi/fantasy genre. Stargate SG-1, for example, had SOME lasting consequences, but most of the time people who left the show didn't do so in a body bag, and did so because they wanted to do other gigs like movies or whatever. Even then, they could end up coming back full-time. Not really the case with Buffy. Happy couples break up in painful ways. Main characters that you honestly like die or leave the show in a painful manner. That's very much Joss' thing: he believes that good drama can only be found in the constant cycle of happiness leading to misery leading to happiness. Things don't stay static, mostly. Characters evolve, often through pain and loss and sacrifice.

The thing is, what was revolutionary in 1999 is old hat in 2014. And the show is rife with a very "90s" vibe to it. I think it still holds up, but the first season...will be difficult to get through. That one was very "monster of the week," and emphasized much more of the "90s kids!" thing. That does change over time, though. Also, it being set in high school, the characters...behave like high school kids in many ways. Buffy, for example, has AWFUL taste in men, and almost always ends up going for some dark, broody, self-destructive dude or whathaveyou.

All that said, it's a very, very well done show and one that I still find enjoyable. My girlfriend and I were rewatching it recently, although we got stalled in the start of Season 5, because we were also watching Angel at the same time, and (A) it ended up taking longer to get plot points moving, and (B) we just got kind of out of the mood after four straight seasons. In my opinion, the best era of the show was Seasons 2-3. Season 1 was an ok setup with a finale that made me sit up and take the show seriously after what had otherwise been a kind of middling season. Season 4 was entertaining, but kind of out of character for the show. Season 5 is a fantastic end (and was originally the end of the show), but some of the new characters annoy me. Season 6 was dark and depressing, and Season 7 just kinda wrapped things up in a reasonably satisfying way. (There's also several continuation comics that do a Season 8 and 9, FYI).

I'd recommend it, but I wouldn't do so unreservedly. Contrary to what you may have heard, Buffy isn't for everyone, even if it's something that's really, really good.

Galactica

In my opinion, Galactica started off really well, and then went off the rails because Ron Moore had no real plan. The show is (from what I heard) kind of like LOST in that respect. Strong start, lots of questions raised, and the answers (when they do finally come) aren't all that satisfying. Also, he made a lot of it up as he went. He admits this in the DVD commentary. Some of it was organic, but some of it was more like "Wouldn't it be interesting if we did...this...and then saw where it all went?" Often in disruptive and (in my opinion) counter-productive ways.

That said, I only watched it once, and I watched it live. People who've binged it have, from what I hear, enjoyed it somewhat more. Although other friends of mine tried binge watching it and thought it was pretty lamely wrapped up. I agree with that, by the way. The ending is not clean. It's emotionally satisfying (mostly) but is sloppily plotted. It has great heart, but it's kind of a mess. Also, the answers to the big mysteries are totally unsatisfying. I suspect if you binge-watch, it'll be more obvious, but it still seemed like a cop-out to me.

Game of Thrones

This show is AWESOME. It's also probably easier to get through than the other two, in that the seasons are only 10 episodes long. They're solid hours (rather than 45 min shows), but the seasons are still fairly short. Also, the first season is kind of slow moving if you don't like intrigue. If you're expecting great big battle sequences...yeah, you won't get that at all until Season 2, and even then, it'll be smaller than you might expect. You don't get truly HUGE battle sequences until later.

All that aside, it has some amazing characters and acting, it's really moving, and the plots are delightful. So far. The show isn't finished yet, though. Also, if you've read the books, the later seasons feature some...changes...some of which have proven kind of controversial.

Hope that helps!

that does help. Thanks!

Given that I might just start with Buffy. I can't binge right now and will probably nibble an episode or two at a time. GoT fascinates me and I'll save that for a real binge.

Keep in mind that if you start to like Buffy, you're going to have to start watching Angel. I believe after season 3 is when Angel begins.

As for Game of Thrones, I suggest binge watching all 4 seasons before season 5 begins next year. Plenty of time to watch all of Buffy and Angel.

I would definitely go with Buffy and Battlestar Galactica, as those are two of my favorites (I'm still upset they removed BSG from Netflix :angry), and like infymys said, if you start watching Buffy you should definitely watch Angel as well. I watch Buffy & Angel at least once a year (although I don't really binge watch them), and I always watch them the way they aired on TV. So when I get to season 4 of Buffy I start watching season 1 of Angel, and then I alternate between the two.

I have never watched Game of Thrones, but I have heard nothing but good things about it, so I do really want to. I didn't know that it was also a series of books, so I think I will go ahead and start reading those on my Kindle App :popcorn

Go with BSG first. It's only four seasons and once you start watching, you'll be hooked.

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep in mind that if you start to like Buffy, you're going to have to start watching Angel. I believe after season 3 is when Angel begins.

As for Game of Thrones, I suggest binge watching all 4 seasons before season 5 begins next year. Plenty of time to watch all of Buffy and Angel.

It's Season 4, but yeah. Basically, at the start of Season 4 of Buffy, the viewing experience should be as follows: Buffy S4E1/Angel S1E1, Buffy S4E2/Angel S1E2, Buffy S4E3/Angel S1E3, and so on.

The reason (for those not in the know) is that there are crossover episodes, kinda like what they're doing with Arrow/The Flash, so you basically have to watch whatever comes first in the order or you'll end up saying "Wait, why is so and so in Los Angeles? I thought they were in Sunnydale?" The reason will be probably because you skipped an episode somewhere. One minor note: there will be a jarring series of episodes beginning in Buffy S5E1 that will leave you wondering if you missed something. Just go with it. As long as you aren't noticing discontinuity BETWEEN the shows, you probably didn't.

The Wire is possibly the best television show to come on in the 2000s.

I still haven't watched The Shield.

As for Sons of Anarchy, its first three seasons are dynamite. After that, it kidna goes downhill, in my opinion. This last season has been kinda boring, frankly, and needlessly long and dragged-out. Apparently, the most recent episode was quite good, and I suspect the last episode will be decent, but it's tough to get through for most final season episodes.

Hate to revive such an old thread, but I have a few questions regarding Battlestar Galactica (reboot). As the title of the thread states, I too am looking for something to binge over the holidays. I never watched the reboot (not sure why), but I always heard good things about it. I am thinking of purchasing it to stream.

I have found it on Amazon Prime, but I've never actually bought anything on AP. Once you buy it, what if Amazon drops it (like Netflix does with shows)? Are you just SOL or will it always be in your library?

I have also found it on VuDu, which is where most of my streaming library is (what I own). Which would be better to purchase it on?

Also, regarding the show itself, it looks like the mini series is first? What about Blood and Chrome? Can someone give me the correct order in which to watch the entire series?

And finally, is the show worth the money I will have to pay to see it all? Because if I am in, I am in all the way. But I am looking at well over $100 to get it all. Is it worth it?.........thinking of doing this as a Christmas present to myself.

Please give me your thoughts on the show and purchasing advice.

Blood and Chrome is a prequel, but it was made after the series was over. Watch it last.

Personally, I think nuBSG is great and worth a purchase if you haven't seen it.

Well over $100 for streaming? That they can remove from availability whenever they choose? ..or lose the rights to? I’d go with physical media like Blu-ray.
Watch them in release order, skip Caprica series. Release order gives you good context, and eliminates spoilers.

Well over $100 for streaming? That they can remove from availability whenever they choose? ..or lose the rights to?
I don't know if Amazon does that or not. I've never purchased any movies or shows on Amazon Prime. But I'm pretty sure Vudu is not like that.

I don't know if Amazon does that or not. I've never purchased any movies or shows on Amazon Prime. But I'm pretty sure Vudu is not like that.
I don’t use Amazon Prime streaming enough to know weather or not they do that either, just a word of caution that they can do that. It may not be a deciding factor, rather a notion to keep in mind. I think we’ve yet to see what the streaming media idea has in store for the consumer in the future.
Blu-ray may or may not be the final physical media iteration, but I’ve been faced with not finding what I want too many times between Netflix, Amazon, appleTV, etc. to give up on physical copies of my favorite films and TV.

Purchasing on Amazon Prime is just like purchasing anywhere else. If you buy a show through them, you “own” it just like you would if you bought it through one of the other retailers. If you have Movies Anywhere and your Amazon account is linked, then your purchase will show up there as well.

I agree that the series is definitely worth it.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back