SW – ANH (5 Foot) - Studio Scale Millennium Falcon Build

Andre showed his work this past Saturday night at Gene's place. It was pretty amazing! The whole night was insane... the 3D Falcon was a definite highlight!!

Beautiful work Joshua - thank you!

I'm really starting to see the advantages of parametric modeling when tweaks need to made that cascade throughout interconnected forms.

We are indeed fast approaching the 3rd act of the research part of the overall build. The last critical dimensional corroboration will be hanging donor kit parts off a sectioned mock-up.

Stu, here's hoping we all meet in the middle, so to speak, with donor kit part measurement confirmations a plenty!

Regards,

Andre

Andre and I have been tag-teaming the base 3D model for the 5' Falcon. Here are some of the recent images of the model thus far. Not quite ready to publish "official" blue-prints, but getting there. This set takes into account the above mentioned .437 vertical wall. We've also been building the model to be somewhat elastic in the sense that we can easily modify a single dimension and see how that effects everything else. In particular, I've been experimenting with different dome radii and watching how that cascades throughout the docking arms and the cockpit tube and jaw boxes and comparing it against the 3D photogram Andre made by stitching together his photos.

I've included an exploded view to show how we're looking at some of the materials and construction techniques used on the original model to act as a guide to our solution.

View attachment 403738

View attachment 403739

View attachment 403740

View attachment 403741

View attachment 403737

Next step is to cross verify this model against the frames from the movie and other photo references, tweak, repeat...

Cheers,
Joshua

Eye Candy Boys.....:thumbsup

Thank you!

looks fantastic.What about the engine deck and exhaust? Very curious about that area. I always have some good head-scratching back there, replicating the fullscale falcon. I'm very curious how the 5' compares.

We'll post those forms soon...I took some nice close-ups of that area and am working on the measurements - plus comparing the data with others...

Regards,

Andre

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Jason!

I had a great time as well and it was a treat to see old friends and make new ones...

At Gene's you never know who will show up or what they'll bring to share!

Regards,

Andre

Andre showed his work this past Saturday night at Gene's place. It was pretty amazing! The whole night was insane... the 3D Falcon was a definite highlight!!

Yeah, man, it's not every day you meet cool cats from the RPF such as yourself and then in the next moment John Erland and Dave Jones! Everyone was so chatty and down to earth, too! Man... I keep thinking about the cone of the "escape pod" side structure and the canopy....

looks fantastic.What about the engine deck and exhaust? Very curious about that area. I always have some good head-scratching back there, replicating the fullscale falcon. I'm very curious how the 5' compares.

Funny you should ask. It was next on my list to block-in as there are critical reference points back there.

Falcon63_MasterAssembly.43.jpg

Here's what I've come up with in-terms of the layering of the elements:

Falcon63_MasterAssembly.41.jpg

The Blue is the base vacuum formed dome. The Yellow is the 0.25" thick formed engine deck. On top of that, is another 0.25" lip that the thruster plates sit on top of in Green. The Pink is the armor added all over the place.

Falcon63_MasterAssembly.42.jpg

I still have to block-in the light bar on the back. It seems framed-in like a box set into the base structure.

Cheers,
J.

Falcon63_MasterAssembly.41.jpg

Falcon63_MasterAssembly.42.jpg

Falcon63_MasterAssembly.43.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Fantastic work Joshua...love it !

As we dig deeper into the aft engine vent area, things get really angular and sculptural - which looks very cool.

I'll dig into my ref and post whatever esoteric details I might have images of and if anyone else has good ref of this area, we could use your help!

And as we go, we'll check things in 3D against the image reference and adjust as needed.

Thank you!

Apb

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1415864493.559898.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1415864493.559898.jpg
    718.1 KB · Views: 450
Ha. That was the exact image I was referencing!

You'll see I still need to nip a bit off the yellow plate; and I haven't touched the underside quite yet...

thanks Maruska, beautiful work guys! Just for comparison sake, here's that area on my current ESB full-scale exterior model. Replicated from blueprints and a ton of Elstree behind the scenes shots. Looks like I'm on the right track (and that the crew were observing the 5' model fairly closely). Not to get off topic, but I wish the set dressing on the exterior of the ESB full scale falcon had hewed as closely to the 5' model as the structural design did. You should see the exterior gun turret details on the full-scale, it's driving me nuts!

example.jpg

thanks Maruska, beautiful work guys! Just for comparison sake, here's that area on my current ESB full-scale exterior model. Replicated from blueprints and a ton of Elstree behind the scenes shots. Looks like I'm on the right track (and that the crew were observing the 5' model fairly closely). Not to get off topic, but I wish the set dressing on the exterior of the ESB full scale falcon had hewed as closely to the 5' model as the structural design did. You should see the exterior gun turret details on the full-scale, it's driving me nuts!

View attachment 404975

Funny - my initial solution looked a lot like yours, until I found that last image that Andre posted in his comparison shot - where it shows the engine deck's interior bevel cutting in before the molded dome part ends.

Aesthetically, yours looks more resolved...

ChrisGFX,

Beautiful pictures - really, really nice - I'm jealous of the lighting you had that day!

When I was with the miniature in San Jose, it was like being in a cave - dramatic lighting but tricky camera parameters to wrestle with...

Some of your stills, really highlight the notches and cutouts on the inner engine vent structure - may I post some examples here?

Regards,

Andre

ChrisGFX,

Beautiful pictures - really, really nice - I'm jealous of the lighting you had that day!

When I was with the miniature in San Jose, it was like being in a cave - dramatic lighting but tricky camera parameters to wrestle with...

Some of your stills, really highlight the notches and cutouts on the inner engine vent structure - may I post some examples here?

Regards,

Andre

I'm sorry, this are NOT my photos. They were posted here at RPF the other day. The Photos are made by raiders (Steven) and here is his complete OneDrive Folder with more reference photos:

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=B9FE0AEBDC25FDBC&id=B9FE0AEBDC25FDBC!109

his post on RPF you can find here:

http://www.therpf.com/f10/star-wars...tantive-iv-isd-devastator-sandcrawler-208673/

Yeah. The reference is great. The depth of field is very shallow, so not good for photogrammetry, but the lighting is excellent.

They already answered a few questions. I'll post an image soon...

Yeah. The reference is great. The depth of field is very shallow, so not good for photogrammetry, but the lighting is excellent.

They already answered a few questions. I'll post an image soon...

Cool...and I'll be posting results on the bottom engine box in the next day or so.

Regards,

Andre

Cool...and I'll be posting results on the bottom engine box in the next day or so.

Regards,

Andre

Here's something that has been puzzling me - I always perceived the top and bottom sides to the side wells to be parallel; flat and same as the top view (XZ plane). But if I just flattened out the underside of the vac-formed dome, the math didn't work out. This photo clearly shows that the outer edges of the dome have indeed been sanded flat, but not all the way down to the depth of the side-wall. It's about half XZ parallel and half co-radial to the dome. I'll be adding this to the 3D model next to see how it plays out.

127_SWI_0130.jpg

Unfortunatly I noticed that on the 32" MF too but it was too late. The vacformed dome is actually about 3mm thick but the edges are sanded down to 1.5mm. This is why the trench on my MF look not tall enough while the trench walls are the correct height. :( just noticed that after I built the basic shape in hi rez pics I took of the 32". I had never seen those beveled edges before.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back