Is Terminator: Salvation a prequel or a sequel?

cayman shen

Master Member
Just a fun mind **** to get away from the RoboCop and Blade Runner reboot and sequel threads...

Terminator: Salvation is really a prequel, isn't it? Because John hasn't sent Reese back in time yet, so the first movie hasn't occured.

BUT, John is alive, which means that Reese had already gone back in time and fathered him, making it a sequel.

BUT, we don't have the T-800 series yet, which we see in the first one, making it a prequel.

BUT, it takes place years after the last installment, making it a sequel.

BUT...

Discuss.

I call it a prequel and i'm still wondering why they had the arnie t800 in it when that model wasn't supposed to show up. actually the entire movie was a giant mind **** just by all the weird stuff that didn't fit in with the other films.

Actually, it's a sequel, as the events and the world that Kyle Reese talks about is not the same one as we see in Terminator Salvation. It's a different timeline, a different reality. So, we will never see the "future" Kyle Reese talked about in Part 1 again because he came back, stop the Terminator from killing Sarah, and she and John in turn destroyed Cyberdyne, which stalled Judgement Day by a few years.

I call it a prequel and i'm still wondering why they had the arnie t800 in it when that model wasn't supposed to show up. actually the entire movie was a giant mind **** just by all the weird stuff that didn't fit in with the other films.

Thats because the original script was worthy of Oprah as a T800. Whats missing is the time travel, multiple Marcus' explanation, the real reason Marcus was drawn to Skynet, and an ending that made the film moot.

You see a dead/deactivated Marcus laid out on a table during the opening raid on the Skynet base. Then you see T800 files on the computer... Later in the film the second Marcus knows where to locate, how to enter and run machines and computers in Skynet.

The "Marcus" model is from the future, the year 2032 if I recall. He is unknowingly (due to his programing) bringing back technology files to Skynet which is why he is drawn "north". Any resistance infiltration are side missions pending anything related to "Connor". If the films were to continue, TS would possibly make sense but with McG at the helm, he is all over the place. Rumor was last he wanted to continue with a new Terminator film that takes place in London around 2011 or 2002 or something. This would negate the mentioned Marcus explanation Further making TS moot.

Ive mentioned this before but dont know how many other people know the inside story or if its been totally negated, forgotten or ruled out.

John Connors 'wife' was 24 years old in 2003, in 2018 she is 28 ? (aged 4 years in 15 years time)
While John himself was 24 in 2003 (less than 19 years after he was born), and then 35 in 2018...(closer to real, aged 11 years in 15 years)
Still, he was allready 14 less than 7 years after he was born, so I guess that's just how his life works :p

The movie that you are talking about does not exist. It was just a giant April Fools Joke two years ago.

It was named "Terminator Salivation" because they knew that the fans would drool over images of the "trailer", but that was all they got.

So is a trailer for a non existant film, a short film in itself...because it can't be a trailer anymore.

Can a short film be included in a series of full length films.

Or is it a micro-quel?

Why not? Heck, I LOVED the Phantom Menace micro-quel! :lol

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back