There's one significant difference between Mjolnir in Thor: Ragnarok and TDW/AOU.

it broken into tiny little pieces? :$

I love marvel, but sorry, this trailer looks more like a video game.
Time to make te movies all a little darker and hard like logan or deadpool. its for the bigscreen, not the disney channel!

The black lining near the bottom of the hammer(across the otherwise blank part of it) has been removed.

ayeee.png

There is a line there, it's just straight now instead of flaring upwards in the middle.

IMG_2317.JPG

As Angelus Lupus has said, the difference could be due to a stunt or CGI hammer, and the Hero hammer could have different details. We will have to wait and see. They have made tweaks to the hammer for every film, so I wouldn't be surprised to see some new things happening. I see that the line mentioned has changed, and the runes are deeper.. but "significant?" Maybe not the correct word.

I must be missing whatever it is.

The black lining near the bottom of the hammer(across the otherwise blank part of it) has been removed.

Last edited:
Yes! Mr Mold Maker is right. The line near the bottom of the side panels is now straight rather than kinked in the middle. Everything else is identical to AOU and The Dark World (which were the only films so far that did not have any changes between them), down to the number of handle rings, dimensions, and runes. The Celtic knot pattern is actually the same as TDW/AOU, though different from Avengers and the original Thor.

Thor Ragnarok Mjolnir.png

Now while it's possible that it's just a CGI hammer, it seems a bit unlikely since the CGI hammer in Thor: The Dark World was the same as the real prop, both of which have the kinked line, not a straight line:
(CGI)
Mjolnir The Dark World CGI.png
(Real prop)
Mjolnir The Dark World physical.png

So is it possible it's just a stunt/CGI hammer? I suppose it cannot be ruled out, but this was not used for CGI hammers before, so they clearly had an accurate CGI hammer for TDW already.

So between TDW and AOU there actually were not any changes to the runes, the hammer dimensions, the pommel cap, or the two engraved lines on the bottom of the hammer (which are each different from both Avengers and Thor 1), but this side line is different.

So I think that's significant - at least for people wanting to make faithful replicas.

"Hammer! ... Hammer?"

Anyone familiar enough with the knot designs to tell if they've been tweaked?

Attachments

• shot0012.jpg
    shot0012.jpg
    717.5 KB · Views: 162
  • shot0012A.jpg
    shot0012A.jpg
    825.1 KB · Views: 154
"Hammer! ... Hammer?"

Anyone familiar enough with the knot designs to tell if they've been tweaked?
I am familiar enough to tell you confidently that neither the side runes nor the pommel runes have been changed. I have 3D modeled them both and carefully studied screenshots from The Avengers: AOU, Thor: TDW, as well as the Making Of video where it's shown how Mjolnir was 3D printed for Thor: TDW.

Update!

Looks like they fixed the hammer, which means it must have at least in part been CGI!

In the new Comic-Con trailer, the hammer is back to its "correct" AoU/TDW version with the side line returned to being offset in the middle.

Thor Ragnarok Mjolnir Updated.png

This is why I love this forum, a whole thread dedicated to a line on Thor's (now broken) hammer. Absolutelly love the attention to detail here :thumbsup

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back