WIP: Foam Hulkbuster for my 7yr old - Lots of Con Pics!

Re: WIP: Foam Hulkbuster for my 7yr old - Arm Progress

3Days ?! I was thinking this was for Halloween. Lots of late nights coming up , Redbull is in the future.

Diet Mt Dew... but, yes, lots! :lol

This is incredible to look the progress of. I know when I was a kid, my favorite costume was a box made into a Rubik's cube! I'm sure a few cut corners for a 3 day deadline wouldn't be too bad. Then you have until Halloween to give it those last details

I've been actually thinking about what I can skip for this weekend's events... here's my short list:
  • Weathering and final clear coat of gloss paint - has to be skipped... I have no time for that.
  • Paper hands... I might just get my reference cardstock templates printed in color, glue them together and temporarily attach them to the arms for this weekend. They will be flimsy, but will work and cut out a LOT of extra build time.
  • Skip painting the undersuit detail pieces. I have plans to use some round insulation in between the armor pieces (mostly the knee area). This will look better than having just his black stretch pants showing. By Halloween, I'd like to have them painted so they look more 'metalic', but for this weekend, just their neutral color (grey) will work.

I fully plan on finishing all of these by Halloween, but these three things at least will be cut from my build schedule leading up to this weekend. :thumbsup

Why not skip the deadline and finish this thing all the way with a grin on your face?
If you rush this,you might have two sad faces to look at: yours...and your son's
You were doing so great up to now.Just my 2 cents

Why not skip the deadline and finish this thing all the way with a grin on your face?
If you rush this,you might have two sad faces to look at: yours...and your son's

I don't know George, I think it might be worth rushing a bit of it to get two uses out of a great suit, and be able to share it with others at the con. Also, I can't imagine his son being disapointed by this suit, its awesome lol

Plus, he'll have the extra week or so to really put the finishing touches on by Halloween :)

Oh, not to mention the wonderful time I'm sure his son is going to have at the con in it too.

Oh, I'll make sure what I finish now won't impact how it will look for Halloween! But I'd like it 'close-enough' this weekend for it to be wearable. Heck, my kiddo really wants the Harry Potter prize package for the kids costume contest at the con! For some reason he believes he's a 'lock' for the win. :D

Hey if it's missing pieces that's just battle damage right?

LOL! I totally, was thinking about only doing ONE arm and letting the other one be torn off - like in the film. ;)

Build progress from a late night...

These are the basic shapes of the parts... but I don't have the final detail pieces added yet...

22182605185_05bfbd00f2_z.jpg

22192896201_37a57da178_z.jpg

Well, at least you can see the SCALE this will be at! :eek

Oh, I'll make sure what I finish now won't impact how it will look for Halloween! But I'd like it 'close-enough' this weekend for it to be wearable. Heck, my kiddo really wants the Harry Potter prize package for the kids costume contest at the con! For some reason he believes he's a 'lock' for the win. :D

LOL! I totally, was thinking about only doing ONE arm and letting the other one be torn off - like in the film. ;)

Build progress from a late night...

These are the basic shapes of the parts... but I don't have the final detail pieces added yet...

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5815/22182605185_05bfbd00f2_z.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/672/22192896201_37a57da178_z.jpg

Well, at least you can see the SCALE this will be at! :eek
damn, its cool....

Re: WIP: Foam Hulkbuster for my 7yr old - 10/15 Arm Pics

Another good looking update :thumbsup
I didn't mean to be blunt earlier.Sorry about that

Not at all, my friend. I totally appreciated your comment - and understand what you meant! :)

A little more progress tonight... Tomorrow I took off work, so I'll have most of the day to build, paint and rig the suit before Saturday's events.

I couldn't paint tonight in the dark, so I worked on detailing the arms so I can start painting them tomorrow!

Here is a look at the back of the arms...
22196926552_7f5e6abf4a_z.jpg

And a close-up...
22021889798_b18f67c6ac_z.jpg

And the Front...
21586897054_74d3738640_z.jpg

And a low-angle close-up of the front...
21588637913_bf91008e67_z.jpg

and finally, a high-angle close-up of the front...
21586897944_eb339e4848_z.jpg

I'm adding the large gold forearm pieces to my list of things to add AFTER this weekend. I think this will work fine without those for this first appearance! ;)

How are you putting the lines into the foam? A full day to work on this instead of that pesky day job is going to make a huge diffrence.

Love the detail work in the arms. Really sets it off nicely. Did you use a dremel to make the grooves?

Incredible work. Your son will be the envy of everyone.

How are you putting the lines into the foam? A full day to work on this instead of that pesky day job is going to make a huge diffrence.

I use a dremel to do some detailing, but for straight lines like this, I'm using a woodburning tool (it's faster). It sorta melts the foam and forms those detail lines. Varying the tip allows you to do very fine lines to broad ones. I've also used this to cut detail patterns into foam (HERE).

My jaw hurts from hitting my desk so many times! Did you want to adopt me?! By far your kid will win all of his school's costume contests!

I use a dremel to do some detailing, but for straight lines like this, I'm using a woodburning tool (it's faster). It sorta melts the foam and forms those detail lines. Varying the tip allows you to do very fine lines to broad ones. I've also used this to cut detail patterns into foam (HERE).

Wow the scales on the HTTYD armer are awesome. I'm going to have to try this on something.

Sorry for not posting last night, but I was up til after 1am working on the costume prior to the local convention here in Knoxville. While not finished, it's wearable. :)

Friday was filled with LOTS of painting!!!

Started off with plasti-dip on the arms and shoulders (then Adhesive Promoter, and then final auto paint).
21613438874_e11766f146_z.jpg

I also finished up the weathering and clear coat on the 'belt' piece.
22048123460_b35a02d9d9_z.jpg

After that dried, I rigged up this piece and the thigh pieces into a sort of robot shorts! :)
21634914654_0a1b4a6b69_z.jpg

Now, inside those, it looks a bit rougher! lol

Here's a break-down of what you're seeing:
  • I hotglued 12gauge wire all the way around the inside so I could bend and shape the foam waist piece into the oval shape I wanted.
  • Then I glued wide elastic bands between the front and sides of the thighs to the waist unit.
  • Finally, I glued velcro strips on the top of the front and back (those will be used to attach this piece to the lower torso piece.
22244851902_da3be9ce06_z.jpg

...Oh, yeah, I yes. Yes, I go through a LOT of hot glue! :lol

So, to close the gap between the chest piece and the waist piece, I fabricated a new piece that will connect the two.
22070791729_f5fc71a58d_z.jpg

I templated this, created the foam build, plasti-dipped it, and painted it on Friday. I finished up late that night with some velcro at the bottom of the front and back (to attach this to the robot shorts part.

Here's a look inside this piece. You'll see the velcro closure for the back as well as the shoulder straps (to keep this piece up).
22070785339_f27565de20_z.jpg

I printed color copies of the enlarged papercraft parts for the hands, cut them out and glued them together. I also inserted a small PVC pipe into the base of the hand so my kiddo can hold on to it and 'puppet' the arms.
21634921224_a69561c046.jpg

Yes, they're sorta sloppy, but it was nearing midnight when I was working on these temporary hands. :rolleyes

Finally, I painted some of the gold and silver areas of the arms, so they won't be pure red for our first outting.

22268147951_a2dccbe3a6_z.jpg

And from the back...
21636646193_3052ea3685_z.jpg

Although I don't have pictures the last thing I did last night before crashing was create some rough velcro attachment points for the helmet on the top of the chest.

Next Up, I'll upload some pics from the con! :D

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back