Fine Molds 1:48 X-Wing - Freestyle!

Mike J.

Master Member
My first serious model in a long time. Been working on this for a few weeks; now it's to a point where I can show it off.

Thought I'd go non-canon with this puppy and paint her with cues taken from other birds.

No real rhyme or reason to it.

Also building a 1:72 FM X-Wing at the same time. This big one is much easier to mask. The little one's more of a test bed to brush up my skills.

Not sure if I want to go to the trouble of masking her again, to add some warm gray panels. I'll need another roll of masking tape, I f I do. I'm actually using an old roll of Ace Hardware brand tape and it works like a charm. I had a little roll of the Tamiya tape, but I can't find it.

I'm also using Future to 'seal' the edges of the applied tape, to prevent bleeding under. It's working pretty well. Not sure where I learned that trick; probably here.

One trick I 'discovered' and would like to share: this 1:48 bird comes with two sets of decals, peel & stick stickers and real water-slide decals. By applying a couple layers of packing tape over the peel & stick decals, and then cutting the 'painted' area of the decal out with an X-Acto knife, you can end up with a homemade, self-adhesive mask for the markings. I used it for my blue markings on the wings.

Almost time for decals, which I'm actually looking forward to.

-Mike J.

Thanks, guys.

Tonight: the first two dozen or so of many, many tiny decals! Also partially decaled but not pictured: the two top wings.

-MJ

Modest update:

More decals on the other side of the fuselage. "Second verse, same as the first."

Going through my stock of surplus decals, I found some that were very similar to what Jason (Moffeaton) had recreated in his run of replica decals for studio scale birds.

They're Harrier decals. I know Harrier kits were used for the Sandcrawler, so it stands to reason they had the decals around the shop. Apparently, they were used on some of the background X-Wings as well. Red 4 and Red 12, I think.

Still not sure if I want to use them on my bird. She's getting kinda busy already. I do think I'd like to build another bird after this one. It's rare for something to come together this well for me; model-wise anyway.

I think I'll put on a few more decals, and then seal 'em and start the washes.

-Mike J.

Update: When Good Washes Go Bad.

Laid down the last of the decals earlier today.

Tried to apply a wash, but I bungled it somehow. It was making weird wavy lines and watermarks as it dried.

Ended up taking off most of it.

Not gonna press my luck and try it again. Out of black paint, anyway.

After a little thought, I'm just gonna button her up tomorrow and call it done. Unless anyone has any advice?

-Mike J.

She is done! Behold my scale model magnum opus! Look upon my works, ye mighty, and despair! :lol

For anyone who hasn't built this, the wing mechanism is particularly complex and robust. Two screws (and several pegs) hold the wing thing together, and then four screws mount the wings to the fuselage, and then two more screws hold the fuselage halves together. You will need a small screwdriver! One is not provided.

I did have a little trouble getting some of those screws into place. Very narrow spaces. If I may suggest: don't glue in the cockpit tub until after the wings have been screwed to the body. Also, a little dab of rubber cement on the tip of your screwdriver will hold a screw on it so you can place it (for those of us who don't have magnetic screwdrivers).

Here's one beauty shot of the good side. More pics soon. Sorry about the busy background. It was either that or the hood of my car. If she looks a little under-exposed, she's not - she's a light gray. "X-Wings are not white!" :lol

Thanks for following my build.

-Mike J.

Thank you.

Warms the cockles of my heart :)

I finished this one, and put it on my shelf, but I have a new one in progress.

No pictures yet, really nothing to show, not until I start painting her.

-Mike J.

Your experience with the wash 'fail', did you ever sort out what happened? Had you applied Future as an overcoat once the decals were applied (assuming you used it as a gloss coat for the decaling...)? Did you mix your own wash if so what paint was used?

Inquiring minds want to know! ;^)
R/ Robert

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back