Big Daddy Costume build ( Kick-Ass ) VIDEO in 1st post

Re: Bigdaddy's 2013 Halloween Costume Contest Entry - VIDEO in 1st post

Get out the vote folks! :D
attachment.php

Attachments

• bhn 062j.jpg
    bhn 062j.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 4,225
I made this buckle out of craft foam, stick-on letters (cut to mimic the Batman Forever font), chrome duct-tape and a silver paint pen for accenting the letters. It worked for trick-or-treating, but I want to get a real metal buckle made (as well as one for HG and NB) any RPFers that do custom laser cutting in stainless steel?
attachment.php

Big Daddy's actual buckle below
attachment.php

Attachments

• buckle1.jpg
    buckle1.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 3,687
  • BD7.jpg
    BD7.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 4,343
Here is a closer look at the leg supports: These were kind of tough to figure out how to mimic at first, I had seen them done with metallic fabric, but they seem to flop around. I wanted something flexible but rigid (I'm guessing the real ones are spring steel?) the strips were cut from the long sides of a trashcan and wrapped with chrome duct-tape, the bottom of the same can had a channel molded in, so I used bits of that to make the connection below the knee. Heavy pop-rivets used to attach them to the shin guards, the top of the support is a rivet backed with a large snap to connect to the knee plates. They are pretty comfortable to wear (even driving), and the snap at the knee makes getting them off and on pretty easy.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Below are Big Daddy's actual supports, I think mine turned out OK, I'd love to do them in actual metal, but I'm unsure about how safe they would be. No need to trip and impale myself! :lol I'm sure the real deal is way out of my price range. ;)
attachment.php

Attachments

• L 001.JPG
    L 001.JPG
    210 KB · Views: 3,553
  • L 005.JPG
    L 005.JPG
    217.6 KB · Views: 3,807
  • cc 029c.jpg
    cc 029c.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 3,655
  • BD5.jpg
    BD5.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 3,764
I'd say you did one hell of a job earning your screen name! This is just incredible. Best Big Daddy I've ever seen. Your dedication to the costume is incredibly inspiring!! Also that's one genius idea with the leg bracers! They look fantastic, and in photos they actually look metal!

All-around one incredibly Kick-Ass job! :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

I'd say you did one hell of a job earning your screen name! This is just incredible. Best Big Daddy I've ever seen. Your dedication to the costume is incredibly inspiring!! Also that's one genius idea with the leg bracers! They look fantastic, and in photos they actually look metal!

All-around one incredibly Kick-Ass job! :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup
Thanks HyperShadow :)! It needs a bit of tweaking in a few places, but hopefully I'll have the new buckle by the time we do our first con. I was concerned about the durability of the armor for action sequences but those Rubbermaid cans are built tough! :D I've run through a fight routine with my sparring partner while in costume and everything stayed in place, even when getting thrown, so I think it will work out for filming. I just got a key prop in the mail to shoot the last scene of our first fan-film, so it should be posted in a few weeks (I was hoping it would be ready by Christmas :( ) February we start filming part 2, and march is part 3. :D
"This guy comes outa nowhere, kicks our asses and steals all the coke!" ;)

Thanks HyperShadow :)! It needs a bit of tweaking in a few places, but hopefully I'll have the new buckle by the time we do our first con. I was concerned about the durability of the armor for action sequences but those Rubbermaid cans are built tough! :D I've run through a fight routine with my sparring partner while in costume and everything stayed in place, even when getting thrown, so I think it will work out for filming. I just got a key prop in the mail to shoot the last scene of our first fan-film, so it should be posted in a few weeks (I was hoping it would be ready by Christmas :( ) February we start filming part 2, and march is part 3. :D
"This guy comes outa nowhere, kicks our asses and steals all the coke!" ;)

Getting thrown in costume?? DANG! That's seriously hardcore. I commend you sir, I'd be way too paranoid that something would rip or break! Sounds like those rubbermaid containers were just about the best idea ever. Can't wait to check out the fan video when you're all done filming! Hopefully you'll create a thread with progress and behind the scene photos! :thumbsup

I already said this on another page you were talking on, but I figured you'd be more likely to see it here:

Don't forget the rest of his handlebar moustache that he adds when wearing the costume to help protect his identity :)
help out.jpghelpout2.jpghelpout3.png

I already said this on another page you were talking on, but I figured you'd be more likely to see it here:

Don't forget the rest of his handlebar moustache that he adds when wearing the costume to help protect his identity :)
View attachment 330736View attachment 330737View attachment 330738

Post #11 shows the fake mustache I cut in half to extend my real mustache, Post #13 shows it applied. I didn't find it bushy enough (it was the only brown false mustache I could find around Halloween :lol ) so I ordered some fake eyebrows that I hope will work better. Ironically after Halloween I grew my stache out way beyond Big Daddy's length, but I had to cut it off to film some scenes of him as Damon! :facepalm :lol
New mustache arrives today or tomorrow :D
attachment.php

Attachments

• new handlebars.jpg
    new handlebars.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 975
Oops, sorry I must've missed it :/ I just saw some of the ones without.

It turned out great though! I wish he could've been in the second Kick Ass.

Oops, sorry I must've missed it :/ I just saw some of the ones without.

It turned out great though!
Thanks! :)

I wish he could've been in the second Kick Ass

Same here, that was part of the inspiration for doing a series of prequels (link in my sig). He only busts up guys in one scene of Kick-Ass (other than sniping), and we really wanted see how he and Hit-Girl got the funds for all the cool stuff they have in the movie.
Thanks for checking out the build! :)

EDIT: While I was typing the mailman showed up with the new mustache, and a couple other very exciting Kick-Ass items! :cool

I just watched it, and I really enjoyed it! I absolutely love fan films!

Ever since I joined the RPF I've always thought it'd be cool to get a bunch of RPFers together to do fan films from time to time.

I was in costume for filming a few nights ago and didn't think to take any stills, but these are a few screen shots that show off the costume in action fairly well.
Elbow SMASH! :)
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Practical effects are a pain, but yield good results. ;)
attachment.php

attachment.php

I think the new mustache really helps with the look.
attachment.php

Attachments

• rd 039.JPG
    rd 039.JPG
    177.6 KB · Views: 984
  • zelbow.png
    zelbow.png
    357.8 KB · Views: 962
  • zknife.png
    zknife.png
    434.5 KB · Views: 982
  • ZBDHG.png
    ZBDHG.png
    407.6 KB · Views: 936
  • zknife02.png
    zknife02.png
    300.7 KB · Views: 881
  • ZBDGH2.jpg
    ZBDGH2.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 1,168
Nicely done! I love the movies! Is Kickass going to do a cameo in any future films? I know these are prequels...

Nicely done! I love the movies! Is Kickass going to do a cameo in any future films? I know these are prequels...
Thanks Grimwood, Kick-Ass won't be in the prequels but if KA3 doesn't get made (it is not looking good :( ) we might try picking up the story. My younger brother would make a good bulked-up Kick-Ass, and I've been thinking about this helmet a lot lately :cool
attachment.php

It would look pretty awesome with the BD armor over the wetsuit, I might give it a shot as a winter project.

Attachments

• kick-ass 2 helmetb.jpg
    kick-ass 2 helmetb.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 3,682
I wanted to something different for Halloween this year, I really love the BD armor, though I found that without Hit-Girl I am mostly mistaken for Batman. :lol
This year I picked up a KA suit from NECA (pretty crappy) and made a set of batons so I could do KA2. The mask helped to hide my mustache and the fact that I am several decades past high school age! ;) I was going to enter in the contest but after 4 hours trick-or-treating in the snow (WTH?) The costume took a beating and looked even crappier. However when I stopped at a convenience store on the way back I got a high five and one guy (in his 50's) shouted out "You KICK-ASS!!" So at least people knew who I was this time. :) The week before I had picked up a new car for my wife which is a dark green wagon, she would not allow me to pinstripe it with yellow masking tape for the weekend! (But it would have looked cool :) )
attachment.php

Attachments

• KA 046r.jpg
    KA 046r.jpg
    278.1 KB · Views: 1,561
A couple shots of the batons I made. The info for the size and materials are in this thread http://www.therpf.com/f9/kick-ass-batons-tape-anyone-know-what-brand-200626/ a huge thanks the guys that did the research! :) I started with 1" birch dowels cut to 60cm (I had several pieces of oak 1" poles around for years and got rid of them in the spring :facepalm) The birch is light weight for carrying around, but less effective as an actual weapon. The dowels were painted with a sealing primer before I wrapped them with tape to make sure the wood wouldn't absorb the adhesive over time.
attachment.php

attachment.php

I painted them by following the tutorial that mattycsi posted in the above thread. I couldn't find the brand of paint he used so I went with Angelus acrylic leather paint which I have had good luck with. (I happened to have some green and black on hand :) ). One thing I didn't have was a clear pva glue to mix with it, this made the finish less durable, and you can see places where the paint rubbed off when they got damp during the snow. I'm going to repaint them using the glue during the next coat, and definitely do a light black wash as mattycsi did to fill in the details on the Easton logo.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• KA Batons04.jpg
    KA Batons04.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 788
  • KA Batons05.jpg
    KA Batons05.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 872
  • KA Batons01.jpg
    KA Batons01.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 733
  • KA Batons02.jpg
    KA Batons02.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 819
Last edited by a moderator:
Looking good. I like that green you've got going on there.

And I agree, the car would have been totally kick ass with some pin striping on there. Lets get a petition going for next year:D

Excellent thread !!!
You totally nailed it...

Check out my portrait replica.
It's one of my first ever since I'm relatively new to photo editing.

I've dabbled in Pepakura, but those were other people's creations.
There's something satisfying about making it yourself.

Thanks again for sharing.
Your costumes look awesome !!!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back