New Star Trek TOS Phaser coming November 2014

I'm thinking about getting some Tamiya paints and repaint the phaser 1 and 2 body. Can I just paint over the phaser as it is or would it need prep work?

I am not sure what the plastic they used is so there is no guarantee you will get good adhesion without sanding the surface before painting.

Black and white, bronze handle, and black handle are correct. All one color was ds9 trials and tribbleations.

- - - Updated - - -

Also first three dst/aratasylum colors.

Personal taste I like the p1 being gloss black with shiny chrome rims. Like the communicator and tricorder. ( ok yes the comm, and tric are flat black. But you all know what I mean.) Cue Jadzia dax quote from "Tribbleations".

There was never a single-color phaser on TOS, but there was the crapazoid, which had a black handle and black P1. Here's Greg Jein's.

GJ's Crapazoid rt side.jpg

I find it so interesting that everyone has a specific " black" in mind.
To me, the overall appearance and feel is more important than trying to "match" a specific prop color or tone since actual paint colors used, no matter what it was, was altered by lighting, film and age.
If you used the exact same color paint I doubt it would look like the real prop unless you "aged" it.
Every color, every surface on film, which is the minds eye, is changed on film due to reflections, shadows and processing. Repainting and touch ups add to the ball of confusion.
I personally do not think the " intention" was to have 3 colors on the phaser. I think it was intended to be visible and noticeable on film. Dark P1 and grip, lighter P2 body for contrast. I have doubts that the grip was intended to be bronze colored...unless it was specified in the design drawings that the handle should be bronze.
The black was meant to be black, and while there are different shades and tones you can only ever match one specific frame of film at a time. The idea to me is to get close to the overall effect which Wand did. As they said, they matched the color of the 50 year old paint to the way they saw it on the day they examined it.
Under the right lighting, I'll bet it will look strikingly like the best stills we have of the heros in action.

That said... Maybe a little tinted wax...or brushed on clear lacquer to add the ridges of the brushed on paint of the real prop?

Last edited:
That said... Maybe a little tinted wax...or brushed on laquer to add the ridges of the brushed on paint of the real prop?

HA! Now THAT is funny. It is a curious hobby, prop collecting. Does one desire a replica that looked like it was stolen from the set, warts and all with no sound and merely a grain-o-wheat bulb in the tip? Or a more pristine version that has authentic sound effects? Or some mutation of both? Beauty is in eye of the beholder, as there are so many variations on the prop and nit-picky desires of the collectors and their varied tastes. If WAND had truly made a 100% facsimile of the set-used prop, many would question their sanity (not understanding that the real prop looked so rough "up close." A few would sing their praises, finally having a true facsimile...yet, wait, was the real prop chock full of TV remote control circuitry? This is not to say there is not merit in us all endlessly debating what makes for the "holy grail" of phasers, but as kpax points out, who wants sloppy hand-brushed paint job? Some do. Some don't. The trick is in deciding what features you desire most in your replica and then seeking out the best way to obtain a replica with those features.

...here here...where-where?

To each his bone... (Dr Mcoy) ; )

Colors and shades are always cranked up for film sine it takes so much to light properly. Did you ever see the real batman Dark knight suit? Light and dark gray...not black, but it "looked" black on film. If it were truly Black, as we envision it and it "should be" in real life, it would be invisible on film.
I think the Wand looks like the idealized pristine new out of the federation box- phaser it was intended to be from the TV show... but I also do not think it looks like a "real life" 23rd centure sidearm item, meaning the way a phaser would look if it were real. (I know, I was sad to find out they were not real too!) I think (aside from the design) the materials would either be Transparent Aluminum or Duranium... not having access to those materials...yet - I think textured anodized aluminum would give the closest approximation to what a real phaser would look and feel like up close... but that's just my opinion...

Last edited:
I find it so interesting that everyone has a specific " black" in mind.
To me, the overall appearance and feel is more important than trying to "match" a specific prop color or tone since actual paint colors used, no matter what it was, was altered by lighting, film and age.
If you used the exact same color paint I doubt it would look like the real prop unless you "aged" it.
Every color, every surface on film, which is the minds eye, is changed on film due to reflections, shadows and processing. Repainting and touch ups add to the ball of confusion.
I personally do not think the " intention" was to have 3 colors on the phaser. I think it was intended to be visible and noticeable on film. Dark P1 and grip, lighter P2 body for contrast. I have doubts that the grip was intended to be bronze colored...unless it was specified in the design drawings that the handle should be bronze.
The black was meant to be black, and while there are different shades and tones you can only ever match one specific frame of film at a time. The idea to me is to get close to the overall effect which Wand did. As they said, they matched the color of the 50 year old paint to the way they saw it on the day they examined it.
Under the right lighting, I'll bet it will look strikingly like the best stills we have of the heros in action.

That said... Maybe a little tinted wax...or brushed on clear lacquer to add the ridges of the brushed on paint of the real prop?

Don't get me wrong. Wand did a fantastic job. They are as close as we have seen for quite some time, and their price can't be beat. I just enjoy the upgrading process. I love doing it, and I like watching what others do. :)

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back