Jurassic World

I think the movie looks fine so far, could be better than 2 and 3 (I hope). My wife is a JP nerd and she can't wait for this movie after seeing the trailer.

Except that it wasn't entirely his fault, The Lost World was based off a book written by Michael Chrichton just like Jurassic Park was and the Lost World was a terrible book where as Jurassic Park was a great one. Can you really fault Spielberg for making a bad movie when the original novel it was based on was no good to begin with?

Yes I can, he did wonders with a not so well written book called Jaws.

Yes I can, he did wonders with a not so well written book called Jaws.
I don't know, I didn't think that Jaws was all that bad of a book, different from the movie certainly but not bad. Now The Lost World, that was a bad book, it read like Chrichton "phoned" it in and wrote it simply to capitalize on the success of Jurassic Park and to get the rights sold to make a movie out of it.

I found the science in LW (the Crichton book) at least as interesting as the stuff in JP. The story in LW was kinda meh but I wouldn't call it a crap book on the whole. I remember liking it much better than the LW movie.

Yeah, but if you are doing a sequel to your own book, surely you don't bring a character back from the dead, who you killed, simply because the people who made a film out of your book decided to kill most of the characters you let live, and let live most of the characters you killed.

Make a sequel to the book not the film.

C'mon Last Crusade is pretty darn great :)

oh-i-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

Yeah, but if you are doing a sequel to your own book, surely you don't bring a character back from the dead, who you killed, simply because the people who made a film out of your book decided to kill most of the characters you let live, and let live most of the characters you killed.

In that case it actually was a sequel to the film, not the first book. Crichton was literally asked to write a sequel-book that they could use for a second movie.

Except that it wasn't entirely his fault, The Lost World was based off a book written by Michael Chrichton just like Jurassic Park was and the Lost World was a terrible book where as Jurassic Park was a great one. Can you really fault Spielberg for making a bad movie when the original novel it was based on was no good to begin with?
*Crichton
And woah woah woah, wait... You call The Lost World a bad book? Curious. But whatever, that is your opinion; I'll respect that. BUT you cannot blame the book for the movie being so terrible, because the second movie is NOTHING like the second book. It is honestly two completely different stories. One is about rescue and survival (book); and the other, while including a rescue, is mainly about preservation and environmentalism ("free the poor dinosaurs!"). The only thing it really has in common with the book are the names used.
Jurassic Park: The Lost World actually seems more like the 1925 film The Lost World based of the Conan Doyle novel by the same name, rather than Crichton's sequel, especially with the whole brining a dinosaur back to a city thing in the end.
I can't say this for certain, but I think movie actually was in pre-production before the book was even released. I believe Crichton said something along the lines of "I'll write the book, you make the movie" to Spielberg, pretty much telling him to do whatever he wants with the movie.

AND LASTLY, Crichton originally declined making a sequel, until Spielberg joined in the masses asking him to write a sequel. So, if you really want to be technical about it, Spielberg is partly responsible for the "bad" book and pretty much responsible for the terrible movie.;)

Very true. Malcolm was brought back to life most likely because he was a favorite and popular among most fans, and if I recall correctly it was Crichton's favorite character in his book too (since he used Malcolm to explain all the science stuff).
This wouldn't be the first time this happened in literature though. Conan Doyle brought Sherlock Holmes back from the dead because of the popular demand; Bond originally died after being stabbed by a poisoned shoe-dagger in Fleming's "From Russia with Love", but was brought back from "near death" in future sequels.

You probably won't find a bigger JP fan with me, then again...maybe...this is the RPF.

I read both JP and TLW...loved them.
I watched both JP and TLW...loved them.

Sequel didn't beat the original...but TLW was entertaining and the story worked.
Site B was to be expected and the corporate backstabbing was as well.
Greed vs. Good...that storyline plays out all over the place in movies and we even had additions from the first book in the second movie.

But that's just my opinion.
We each have our own and that's fine as well.

I haven't read the second book, but the second movie is the least enjoyable of the bunch. Nothing worse than watching "experts" who seem more clueless than the audience. In the first film, it's easy to believe that Grant and Ellie were at the top of their field because they're demonstrating their knowledge throughout the story. Julianne Moore's character interferes with every baby dinosaur she can find! Goldblum is only there because he was in the first, which doesn't serve the story at all, and his daughter is a ludicrous distraction.

I haven't read the second book, but the second movie is the least enjoyable of the bunch. Nothing worse than watching "experts" who seem more clueless than the audience. In the first film, it's easy to believe that Grant and Ellie were at the top of their field because they're demonstrating their knowledge throughout the story. Julianne Moore's character interferes with every baby dinosaur she can find! Goldblum is only there because he was in the first, which doesn't serve the story at all, and his daughter is a ludicrous distraction.

Who knows, perhaps we will see more mixing of Velociraptors and gymnastics in JW :lol

You know the silly stuff isn't so bad when they don't try to position themselves as a more serious science-based film (as the first one did so well). I could take the ridiculous escapism of the T-Rex in San Diego or the chases through site B if they weren't trying to get me to respect the characters as intellectuals. The third movie had a bit of raptor skull "science" to use as a device and follow the theme but at least the kid stealing the eggs wasn't supposed to be the world's leading paleontologist... I can't get over Juliane Moore yelling at the top of her lungs as she tromps through the dinosaur woods, petting baby stegos, and seeming so surprised when she realized a while after the audience does that the T-Rex adults have come for the young injured one she and Vince Vaughn abducted...

Yep, I totally agree...I love JP and TLW!

You probably won't find a bigger JP fan with me, then again...maybe...this is the RPF.

I read both JP and TLW...loved them.
I watched both JP and TLW...loved them.

Sequel didn't beat the original...but TLW was entertaining and the story worked.
Site B was to be expected and the corporate backstabbing was as well.
Greed vs. Good...that storyline plays out all over the place in movies and we even had additions from the first book in the second movie.

But that's just my opinion.
We each have our own and that's fine as well.

From FB

I have to say, this made me think after Jurassic World, Jurassic WAR would be pretty cool. Have a Private Military Contractor air dropping raptors and rexes into N. Korea to do all their "fighting". The dinos are supposed to have a "self-destruct" timer on them, but the dinos attack a research facility that was developing an EMP weapon... and of course the self-destruct gets knocked out and they end up making their way toward the allied borders. So it's up to the Masrani Containment team to dispose of their dino-troopers before they eat S. Korea.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back