Rick Grimes Season 2-ish

Farrellk08

I've been wanting to put together a Rick Grimes for a bit now, so I started slowly getting a few items, like an older basket weave belt, and a basket weave handcuff case (which came with a pair of cuffs, so that was nice). Then I found out a few weeks ago that I'd be able to attend PAX East this year, so what better reason than that to actually put a good outfit together?

Here's my belt as it stands now: Basket weave belt with a few original belt stays, handcuff case (I'll probably leave the cuffs at home, lol), speed loader case (the only new item, so I'll have to beat them up a bit), and my favorite piece, the holster.

20160319_093040.jpg

I looked for a while for the holster, and finally found one that I think is really really close to the one used in the show. It's the same style, but probably not the same brand, and I can see a few subtle differences in the details.

My holster:
20160319_093046.jpg

From the show:
TWD_BT_307_0719_0103_FULL - Copy.jpgThe-Walking-Dead-Season-4-Finale-Previously-Unreleased-Promotional-and-BTS-Photos-22_FULL - Copy.jpg

One of the rules of the convention is that any "weapons" brought cannot be real (obviously), but also it cannot be able to, or have at any point, been able to fire a projectile, which excluded me from getting a relatively inexpensive airsoft Colt Python to go with the outfit. I didn't see many resin replicas out there, and especially ones that weren't too expensive for one convention. My first idea was this:
20160319_093142.jpg

A cheap water pistol I picked up. Only a 4 inch barrel, but I thought it'd look OK after painting, and if it stayed in the holster. I may still do that, however I found a seller that had a Denix chrome 6 inch .357 Colt Python. I was happy with the Denix I got for my DL-44, so this should be about par with that in terms of quality, hopefully.

walking-dead-colt-python-replica-gun.jpg

It should arrive soon, so we'll see if its any good, and as a Denix with a plugged barrel, it meets the requirements of the convention.
Oh, and here are my boots. A pair of Justins I picked up at a local store.

20160319_101123.jpg

I'm looking to go for a season 2 to 3 Rick Grimes:

walkingdead.jpgmaxresdefault.jpgTWD_BT_307_0719_0103_FULL.jpg

I've got a few shirts on the way, and I have the Levi jeans, so here's where it stands today:

I've got a month to go, so my hair'll grow out a bit, and I've got about a week off of work beforehand to let my facial hair grow ( so no season 5 Rick Grimes beard, unfortunately).

I'll post when I get my Denix, I have high hopes for it.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Well, I said season 2 ish. The ish factor may go up a bit, since I just decided to try this out:

Untitled.png

In my defense, it'll probably be cold in Boston. Right? (Also, I like the description of "Used a lot". That should make things interesting.)

The Denix has arrived. It's definitely better than the squirt gun. :lol Man, that sucker is heavy too.

I'll have to paint the grips, but that was pretty much expected already.

20160321_173810.jpg

20160321_173657.jpg 20160321_173710.jpg

Looking good man. You can easily drill the orange plug out of the barrel. I did that with a Colt .45 Denix. It will look seriously real, but would be hard to get into a Con. Keep up the killer work!

Looking good man. You can easily drill the orange plug out of the barrel. I did that with a Colt .45 Denix. It will look seriously real, but would be hard to get into a Con. Keep up the killer work!

Well, the plan is to take it to PAX East, so I'll probably leave it intact for now.

Hey awesome rendition of the badass that is Rick Grimes. What style Justins are those and what jeans are you rocking?

The jeans are black Levi's, the Justin's are called something like "Men's Bent Rail Leather Boot". The boots aren't accurate to the show, but I wanted to get a pair that I thought were comfortable and more to my tastes, so I went to a Field & Stream, tried on a few pairs and got those.

Ok, so to update where I'm at:

The biggest thing that bothered me about the jacket was the collar. It's big. Real big. They go almost to the end of the shoulders. Here's me meeting Jimmy Carr with my massive collar.
20160326_214837.jpg

I went to the woman who took in my 10th Doctor suit to see if it could be shorted by half, but she pretty much told me it'd cost more than I paid for the jacket. So, I went with Plan B: double sided fabric tape. If I can't shorten it, I can at least have look like the collar is supposed to be folded.

View attachment 609991 View attachment 609993
Before & After

The shirt I was originally intending to go off of was this one:

TWD_BT_307_0719_0103_FULL.jpg

I got this western shirt on Amazon, and tried staining it with tea, which only turned the white parts kinda brown-er.

1.jpg 2.jpg
Before & After

I'm thinking of try some RIT dye, but I've never used it before, and I don't know if to get the right amount of "dirty & faded" that the shirt Rick had, I should used a dark brown, or a black and hope it doesn't make the white stripes disappear entirely.

Last edited:
I have the exact shirt Rick is wearing in the picture. used a single bottle of Rit dye. Rung out as much access dye as I could with warm water after letting the shirt air dry after the dye bath. Then wash with warm water by itself(just in case it bleeds; which it will) and tumble dry. You'll end up with a dark grey/brownish color. I'll post some pictures for you, help give you an idea before committing

I have the exact shirt Rick is wearing in the picture. used a single bottle of Rit dye. Rung out as much access dye as I could with warm water after letting the shirt air dry after the dye bath. Then wash with warm water by itself(just in case it bleeds; which it will) and tumble dry. You'll end up with a dark grey/brownish color. I'll post some pictures for you, help give you an idea before committing

Awesome, thanks for the directions!

A quick update to what I've been up to. I got some new paint to try a a technique I read up on for spray painting a wood grain to use on my Python pistol grips. My first go yesterday was a bit too dark, so I re-did them again today, and I think they turned out fairly nice. At least better than the matte brown that I painted them before.

20160407_223409 - Copy.jpg 20160407_223659 - Copy.jpg 20160407_223801 - Copy.jpg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back