Deagostini Falcon. Anyone seen this?

I find it interesting no one is talking about this on any of the forums. This mistake is way more glaring then TP 1 and 2 panel plates that everyone was crying about. The dish is a focal point. Kind of reminds me of the old tree in the forest falling parable.

Agreed, the minute I looked at the pictures of the DeAgostini dish, I went to Shapeways and ordered a 77MM dish from TonyRR.

When you compare the dish on the 32" or the 5' studio models to the DeAgostini dish, it is really off. I think that the Shapeways/TonyRR dish is far more accurate to the filming models.

IMG_9111.JPG625x465_8569483_6459836_1459343962.jpgFilming Dish.jpg

Attachments

• 625x465_8569483_6459836_1459343962.jpg
    625x465_8569483_6459836_1459343962.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
I don't know, the details on both dishes shown are a little off, but in different ways. While Tony's dish looks good, it has its minor issues too. I am think looking at current pics of the filming model, the dish details are pretty defined. The railing looking parts have many more slats than either of the above show. The center tip should be flattened a little, but the 4 raised bosses look OK to me. I still need more info to rule out Diag's as not as good as Tony's. Just my thoughts.

Bill

I believe you're correct about the slats on Tony's part but this may be a compromise as a result of the printing processes which may not reproduce the details satisfactorily. The original part came from a Tamiya 1/35 Churchill and has around 60 slats (I lost count after 30). Still, it's a sight better than DeAgo's

I don't know, the details on both dishes shown are a little off, but in different ways. While Tony's dish looks good, it has its minor issues too. I am think looking at current pics of the filming model, the dish details are pretty defined. The railing looking parts have many more slats than either of the above show. The center tip should be flattened a little, but the 4 raised bosses look OK to me. I still need more info to rule out Diag's as not as good as Tony's. Just my thoughts.

Bill

I believe you're correct about the slats on Tony's part but this may be a compromise as a result of the printing processes which may not reproduce the details satisfactorily. The original part came from a Tamiya 1/35 Churchill and has around 60 slats (I lost count after 30). Still, it's a sight better than DeAgo's

Both Issue 72 and TonyRR's dish should be arriving within the next couple of weeks. I will get them cleaned and primed, and take pictures of them side by side for comparison.

Agreed, the minute I looked at the pictures of the DeAgostini dish, I went to Shapeways and ordered a 77MM dish from TonyRR.

When you compare the dish on the 32" or the 5' studio models to the DeAgostini dish, it is really off. I think that the Shapeways/TonyRR dish is far more accurate to the filming models.

View attachment 630267View attachment 630270View attachment 630301

Tony's dish was based on the dish that came with the MR falcon... I'm 99.999% sure of that :D

Jedi Dade

Hey guys, I was looking ahead a few issues, I'm on 16, and noticed something I don't know has been addressed yet. One of the things I was hoping to do was to light the ladder well between the two quad guns, with hopes you could maybe see a little of it with the access way open. Well I just saw that they modeled the access hall to the guns with a 45-ish degree turn before the ladder well. It's clear on the screen shots from ANH that the hall has no turns, just a straight shot to the ladder. My question, was it ever shown on a set with a turn or was that just some floor plan guess work that just doesn't add up? Has anyone thought of changing the model somehow to make a straight hall? Just curious.

Thanks ,
Bill

It's one of the many adjustments necessary to fit the interior set into the exterior model. The reality is the set would never have fitted, that's why it earnt the name 'the ship of riddles' :D

It's one of the many adjustments necessary to fit the interior set into the exterior model. The reality is the set would never have fitted, that's why it earnt the name 'the ship of riddles' :D
Thanks griffog. Yeah, I figured that. It's just that's one of the areas that actually could have laid out pretty close to the way the set was designed IMHO. Oh well, I may play around with a few ideas. I just don't know how much of the hall tube is exposed and if you can see in to that area or not. I guess time will tell. Thanks.

Bill

Just my opinion, but when I started looking through the turret windows when I was considering upgrading the turrets or passages, I realized it wasn't worth the effort based on what you could actually see.

Just my opinion, but when I started looking through the turret windows when I was considering upgrading the turrets or passages, I realized it wasn't worth the effort based on what you could actually see.

Oh I agree with that looking through the turrets. I meant that if enough of the hall way was shown with removable open top, one might be able to peak into the latter way. It's a slim chance, but just maybe. Either way I may still at least throw some lights in there to have glow coming from that area. Maybe.

Bill

Now that I have both the TonyRR dish and the DeAgostini dish, I thought everyone might be interested in a direct comparison. I find the TonyRR dish much more accurate and has much better detail, especially in the curvature of the dishes.

IMG_1728.JPG IMG_1730.JPG
IMG_1732.JPG
IMG_1733.JPGIMG_1734.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1729.JPG
    IMG_1729.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
Just wanted to give a quick update on the photoetched grilles set with SLA printed ports and fans. It is now in production. For more details please visit the project run thread located here: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=259948

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn293/volteco/grilles01_zpsxqbsgfhh.jpghttp://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn293/volteco/grilles02_zps9zyl7pfk.jpg
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn293/volteco/grilles03_zpsi4tfudrw.jpg

They look perfect Gus

(pity they are 10% larger than my Hasbro)

J

435.jpgWeek 76 with both mandible halves attached just for the hell of it, and yes, I do
realise that both sections are upper and lower sections of one mandible.:)

I'm just getting started. For those of you that have been at it for a year and half - does the slow burn spread the work out in a useful way or should I buy all of the back issues up front?

I'm just getting started. For those of you that have been at it for a year and half - does the slow burn spread the work out in a useful way or should I buy all of the back issues up front?

Kinda depends on what way you like building kits Scott, there,s a heck of a lot
of parts, screws etc in the Falcon.Then of course there,s the cost, 76 issues
costs around 680 uk sterling and there,s still 24 issues to come. (But ****, its worth it!) :D

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back